Talk

Advanced search

Naming after fave celeb?

(12 Posts)
SolveAProblemLikeMaria Sat 29-Mar-14 15:13:32

I went out for lunch today with a friend and her 20 year old daughter. Her daughter (although only in her 2nd year of university!) has already started thinking of baby names... in fact she started thinking of baby names when she was about 10!!

She's really set on the name Kate. Reasons: She's been a massive Kate Winslet fan sine she first saw Titanic when she was 6 years old. She has also been a huge admirer of The Duchess of Cambridge since she was first in the public eye, and to top it off, is an avid Katy Perry fan (who's full name is Kathryn.)
To join these 3 up even more, they all share Elizabeth as a middle name! And as a further connection she said her favourite films are the Elizabeth films, starring Cate Blanchett (who's middle name happens to be ELIse)... She said she feels like it was "just meant to be" which is quite sweet I thought. And Kate/Katherine is a lovely name anyway.

It got me thinking though if I would ever name a DC after a favourite actor/actress/singer etc. Thought it would be fun to see if anyone has named their DC after a favourite celeb, or would consider it?

BryKP Sat 29-Mar-14 15:24:17

a friend of mine named her daughter Penelope after Penelope Cruz smile I also know of a little Micky after Mick Jagger. My favourite actresses are Nicole Kidman and Kaley Cuoco..not overly keen on either of those names. Fave actor is Hugh Jackman and not a big fan of Hugh...but it's a nice idea if it's someone you really look up to! All 4 connections there with the Kate/Cate/Katherine and the middle name being Elizabeth is definitely very coincidental! Perhaps it is a sign smile

Innogen Sat 29-Mar-14 15:25:05

I think it's fine when it is a normal name. Beyoncé is too far though!

ThefutureMrsTatum Sat 29-Mar-14 15:27:42

I had baby shakira in December....

no I'm joking!

I have just named DS after a vampire in vampire diaries, I love the actor who plays him too.

squoosh Sat 29-Mar-14 15:28:31

My sons are called Hiddleston and Cumberbatch and my daughter is called Cartland, I only hope she turns out to be as pink and fabulous as her namesake.

Timeless classics I think you'll agree.

alita7 Sat 29-Mar-14 15:45:38

I think if you happen to like both the name and the celebrity then why not, if you really like the name you'd use it regardless.

noblegiraffe Sat 29-Mar-14 15:51:34

I think if it's a name that's common outside of that particular celebrity then ok, but if you call your kid Madonna they're probably going to be associated with the singer.

And too many celebrities have fallen from grace for that to be worth the risk.

Anjou Tue 01-Apr-14 05:53:11

I used to be a huge Beck fan until he got in with that pesky Scientology crowd. Always thought it was such a cool name for a boy. Still do, but I couldn't use it. I love unusual names but it would be obvious I'd named DS after him.

wigglylines Tue 01-Apr-14 06:01:08

DD is called a relatively unusual name, partly as it's from my parents' country, but also after a singer / musician. People sometimes say "that's nice, like [musician's name]"

It's unusual in England as from another culture, not because made up btw (it's a top 50 name in that country).

It makes a difference to me that my DD's namesake is a role model IMO, someone with real talent whom I admire. If you're going to name your DC after famous people, i reckon they should be people you admire and who have some real talent, not just slebs who are famous for being famous IYSWIM.

nooka Tue 01-Apr-14 06:07:10

Probably a good idea if they are dead too, so you don't suddenly discover that they are actually not a nice person at all and wish you'd not associated your child with them. Possibly only an issue with more usual names though. Giving your child the same name as someone you admire because of their achievements is a bit different from naming them after a celebrity though.

dontevenblink Tue 01-Apr-14 06:23:53

We struggled to come up with names we liked so spent a long time looking for inspiration everywhere, so dd's name came from the film credits of a Jessica Alba film we watched just before I gave birth, but we didn't name her after Jessica Alba, we just liked the name smile

I think being named after songs, book characters etc. is a lot more common, I, as were several other people I've met with my name, was named after the Donovan song Jennifer Juniper! Ds2's name was from a book I was reading at the time.

TheDietStartsTomorrow Tue 01-Apr-14 06:49:31

Naming a child after a celebrity just because you like that particular name is one thing but naming a child after a celebrity because you like that celebrity so much you'd want your child to take their name is just shallow.

Celebrities are just regular people with jobs that put them in the public eye and that make them ridiculously wealthy. Okay, so some of them have them been gifted with exceptionally good looks but besides that, there's nothing so particularly great and admirable about them that I'd want my child to be subject to a lifelong connotation with them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now