Talk

Advanced search

Problems picking a name for a First Child... :/

(10 Posts)
AmyLouise93 Fri 28-Mar-14 17:07:47

I'm Amy (Scottish) and my partner is Loui (Greek).
We differ greatly on the kind of names we want for our first child. I like quite traditional names like, Isabella, Rosie, Ivy and Amelia for a girl and Charlie and Rory for a boy.
On the Other hand, Loui likes quite original names like Skye for a girl and Justice for a Boy but they just make me cringe! This isn't a character in an online fantasy game!!
Am I overreacting or is there a compromise between the two?
I'm starting to feel like we will never agree on anything... :/

Nataleejah Fri 28-Mar-14 17:21:38

Skye is great! justice -- no way. Maybe Justin instead?

AmyLouise93 Fri 28-Mar-14 17:25:30

Between the two of us, we know so many people so a lot of the usual names come with family/friend connections. Justin is the name of Louis uncle and they don't get on so well... This narrows down the name search even more!!

mrsbug Fri 28-Mar-14 17:34:33

Both make a list of names you like, then each go through the other's list and see if there are any you like.

You both need to come up with at least ten or so names to start with, and be prepared to come up with more names if it doesn't work first time,

AmyLouise93 Fri 28-Mar-14 18:03:08

That's a good idea. We seem to just suggest them randomly when we come up with them. I didn't realise we would need so many though!

sleepingbeautiful Fri 28-Mar-14 18:12:59

I agree with the lists suggestion. Also as your DH seems to like different names, maybe you should look for less out-there nature/virtue/surname ones as a possible compromise zone eg Willow, Hazel, Faith, Felicity, Grace, Constance, Heath, Felix, Ryder...

alita7 Fri 28-Mar-14 18:58:05

we are also struggling but I think we've reached our final short list already :p and as he hates naming babies before they're born we will stick with our short list until d day in 7 months time :p

BlueChampagne Fri 28-Mar-14 22:56:02

There are some fab Greek names, but there may be a reason he's shying away from those.

florascotia Sun 30-Mar-14 21:26:31

OP as you are Scottish, you will probably know that Skye is a VERY popular name for working sheepdogs in rural Scotland. Perhaps that will help discourage your husband....

What about Greek-origin virtue/admirable qualities names that work in the UK? Such as Sophia (wisdom), Daimon/Damon (spirit), Agatha (good), Alexander/Alexandra (defender - popular in Scotland, too), Andrew (Greek AND Scottish saint), Basil (royal), Charmion (charming), Irene (peace), Gaia (earth goddess), Hilary (cheerful), Jason (healer), Callisto (most beautiful), Leo/Leon ( lion = brave), Nicholas (victory), Phoebe (bright, pure), Theodore/Theodora/Dorothy/Dorothea (gift of God) Timon, Timothy (honour), Zoe = life

Really trad UK names George and Helena were originally Greek, too, and have nice meanings George = countryman; Helena = sunshine

But, as earlier poster says, maybe your partner does not want Greek-based names

Ilikepancakes Sun 30-Mar-14 21:33:00

Skylar nickname Skye?

Rory's cool and a little bit different - why doesn't like that?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now