Talk

Advanced search

Opinions needed please

(17 Posts)
Penny6Pence Thu 27-Mar-14 13:58:09

Baby due in a couple of weeks and Dh and I struggling to agree on a name. We think we have a short list of:

For a girl:
Rebecca
Georgiana
Alexandra

For a boy:
Samuel
Benjamin
Michael

We each have a clear favourite from each list but cannot agree. We could do with some other opinions but don't want to ask family. Anyone want to give us their favourite or suggest anything an alternative?

Thanks in advance

Bowlersarm Thu 27-Mar-14 13:59:49

I would say they are lovely, safe names OP.

All nice.

Or

Francesca
Annabel
Arabella
Olivia

Daniel
Matthew
Nicholas
Christopher

Nocomet Thu 27-Mar-14 14:03:16

I like all your boys choices and had I had another DD I'd have held out for Rebecca (ex of DHs so he was a bit hmm)

Penny6Pence Thu 27-Mar-14 14:11:48

I like Rebecca but really not keen on Becky. Is it inevitable that Rebecca would end up being called Becky or could we realistically avoid this?

BlueChampagne Thu 27-Mar-14 15:23:53

How do you feel about Becca or Becs? If you're always in the habit of calling her Rebecca but she may or may not go with this when she's older.

How about Rachel or Adam?

PenguinsEatSpinach Thu 27-Mar-14 15:51:11

I think if you actively dislike the most common nickname it's a big risk to choose the name. You can choose a child's name and nickname, but you can't choose an older child/teenager/adult's, and there is a good chance that they will go for the most common nickname.

I discounted Elizabeth/Liz for this reason, even though I love a lot of the other nicknames.

Penny6Pence Thu 27-Mar-14 16:37:29

Thanks to all those who have responded. Really like some of the suggestions made by Bowlersarm.

Can I ask if anyone has a favourite from the names mentioned so far?

GimmeDaBoobehz Thu 27-Mar-14 16:46:34

Order of preference for me:

For a girl:
Rebecca
Alexandra
Georgiana

For a boy:
Michael
Samuel
Benjamin

What about George for a boy as you like Georgiana?
Also along with Alexander re Alexandra?

Opposites also work - how about Samantha?

Lovely names by the way. Some names I also like as these are in similar vein to my/partners choices:

Alexander (as mentioned above)
Annabelle
George (again as mentioned above and it's DPs granddad whom he loved dearly)
Charlotte
Emma
Jenna
Leah
Matthew (we can't as it's my fiancés brothers name, but we do love it)
Thomas
Victoria

PenguinsEatSpinach Thu 27-Mar-14 16:52:38

From your list so far:

Alexandra
Rebecca
Georgiana (but I'm not keen on 'frilly' names. It would go to the top of the list as Georgia or Georgina)

Michael (by quite a long way, just because it is less popular than the other two)
Samuel and Benjamin tied.

Francesca and Nicholas or Christopher from the other list might just top any on your original list though (sorry! I don't mean that as a negative to your lists, they are really nice).

alita7 Thu 27-Mar-14 17:19:28

maybe wait and see what the child looks like when they're born?

wigglesrock Thu 27-Mar-14 18:39:58

I love Rebecca, I wouldn't worry too much about nicknames - just call her Rebecca at home & you don't really have any control over nicknames once they start school. Although if they don't like a nickname, they can just tell someone to stop using it. A friend of my 8 year old daughters calls her by a nickname she doesn't like - she just tells her to stop.

Alexandra - meh, there's loads in my dds primary school & it always feels like a boys name turned into a girls - a mild case of gender disappointment. Same with Georgiana, but I don't like George/ Georgia any of those names at all. It's just me, I just don't like the sound of them.

Michael - I really really love. Samuel & Benjamin are nice, just not as nice.

Penny6Pence Thu 27-Mar-14 21:41:15

Thanks everyone who has chipped in.

Shameless bumping as would love some more input...

PippityPip Thu 27-Mar-14 21:46:29

I don't mind Rebecca..but really do not like Becky and cannot stand Bex!! My fave by a mile is Alexandra. It was always a fave of mine since I was really young but unfortunately DH surname starts with "Al" so now completely out of the question sad My only issue with it though is I really dislike Lexi which it may get shortened too..I like Ali though.

What about Alexander for a boy? Or do you want to keep Alex in case you have a daughter later? I don't really like Michael to be honest although I think Micky is a cute nn..not keen on Mike/Mikey ..Benjamin is nice! Samuel is also a good name. What about James/Jamie? Thomas? I love Tommy personally!

For a girl how about Helena? It's on the same like as your other names. Penelope, Rosanna?

Jmdpr35 Fri 28-Mar-14 11:48:55

I like Rebecca and Samuel best.

ShadowFall Fri 28-Mar-14 11:54:14

I like Rebecca and Benjamin best personally, but if you don't like Becky at all, then Rebecca may be best avoided.

I like Alexandra and Samuel next best.

Georgiana sounds a bit too frilly to me. I don't like Mick / Mickey as nn's for Micheal, so I'd avoid Michael for that reason.

Kantha Fri 28-Mar-14 12:53:42

Alexandra and Michael

Nataleejah Fri 28-Mar-14 12:58:39

I like Alexandra for girl.

For boy, none really. I'd suggest August/Augustin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now