Talk

Advanced search

My favourite names make initials "GAG" - help :'(

(14 Posts)
MrsMopOnTop Wed 26-Mar-14 22:21:55

DD3 (DC4) is due next week.
We had agreed on Genevieve Arianna for her, very happy, prancing round in happy land and then BOOM - I realised that with our LN (one syllable begins with a G) the initials spell out GAG :'(

Am I over reacting to think that we either need to add a second middle name or change something to get rid of these initials? My initials as a child spelled out 'ELF' and I got teased for that so am a bit paranoid it'll come back to haunt us.

We are definite on Genevieve.

Options would either be to change to:
Genevieve Arianna Rose G___
Genevieve Arianna Pearl G___
Genevieve Rose G___
Genevieve Pearl G___

Don't know if it changes your minds but we already have an Astrid, Persephone and an Elijah.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Wed 26-Mar-14 22:31:03

My initials now are ELF! I was ELS as a child, which led to slight mockery because there was a furniture store (like DFS) about at that time called ELS. It had rather 'catchy' TV adverts.

Anyhow, I digress, yes I probably would add something to make the initials not spell GAG. Or, you could christen your DD Arianna Genevieve, but call her Genevieve still? That would make the initials AGG.

I think Genevieve Arianna Rose is pretty, and flows well. I would definitely keep Arianna in there as is it a gorgeous name (in fact I would probably want Arianna as the first name).

Congratulations grin.

Fishandjam Wed 26-Mar-14 22:37:00

Marriage changed my initials from GAC to GAG. Can't say as it causes me much angst grin

frankiebuns Thu 27-Mar-14 10:26:38

We are having the same problem! My h2b surname begins with g and we are desepearte to use Arthur as a middle name but all the ideas for first names gregory (GAG)
henry (HAG)
Spencer (SAG)
Lawrence (LAG)
Spell words that would associate teasing or unwanted nicknames! My initials are FKV (f#@k the) for the imaginative bullies at my school so I dnt want to wish it on my child!so can totally understand why. My grand mother used her middle name and I didn't know it wasn't her first name until after she died!

irregularegular Thu 27-Mar-14 10:29:25

I did this. The names I wanted spelled out SAD, so I added a little 'Rose' as a second middle name.

Deadhamsterssmell Thu 27-Mar-14 10:35:51

My son is WMC but puts WC on his work etc. He thinks it's hilarious that his initials are the same as a toilet. confused

We did think a lot about whether we should call him something different but we both really liked his name and thought that if he didn't want to put WC he could use WMC. How often would your DD need to use her full initials?

Children will always find something to tease others about unfortunately. I think it is better to teach them ways to cope with the teasing instead, and I say this as someone who was bullied all the way through secondary school.

TheAwfulDaughter Thu 27-Mar-14 10:53:58

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

bassingtonffrench Thu 27-Mar-14 10:59:03

I don't think GAG is a deal breaker!

I would go with the following in order of preference

Genevieve Arianna G...
Genevieve Pearl G...
Genevieve Rose G....

I wouldn't add pointless fourth name but I am a bit like that about middle names!

CaipirinhasAllRound Thu 27-Mar-14 11:01:39

I wouldn't worry about it, She'll be GG not GAG more often than not as middle names are hardly used or referred to
Genevieve Arianna is lovely, go for it

PunkyPod Thu 27-Mar-14 11:02:16

DD would have been VAG but we spotted the terribleness of this and she is VWAG. I'd def stick another little name in there if it bothers you smile

bassingtonffrench Thu 27-Mar-14 11:06:29

I think VAG is worse than GAG! I know a GAP, its really not an issue

Bowlersarm Thu 27-Mar-14 11:08:35

It's not a horrible word particularly, it wouldn't worry me.

ClareaBear Thu 27-Mar-14 12:16:51

Hmm any chance you could spell Genevieve with a J? Jenevieve..doesn't look quite right and you may get a bit of stick for it lol so many names are being spelled differently these days.

Ariana Rose as a middle name is lovely though so I'd go with that smile

SolveAProblemLikeMaria Thu 27-Mar-14 12:38:02

GAG isn't great...I agree with ClareaBear how about spelling with a J? I out of interest just put Jenevieve into facebook and a few have come up so don't think it would be too uncommon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now