Talk

Advanced search

Stanley Peter- is it too old fashioned? what do you think?

(26 Posts)
insideout Mon 24-Mar-14 18:41:14

We are expecting a boy in July so not panicking just yet! Both our fathers are "Peters" so we would like this as a middle name. I love the name Stanley, DH likes out but is worried it is too old-fashioned?

I also like Claude (but I think it sounds funny with Peter)

I am very open to suggestions grin

NadiaWadia Mon 24-Mar-14 18:59:38

Much prefer Peter to Stanley, TBH.

SirChenjin Mon 24-Mar-14 19:03:37

Sorry, really don't like Stanley/Stan - it's up there with Cyril and Percy. I think there are far nicer old fashioned names out there.

toobreathless Mon 24-Mar-14 19:21:42

Lovely, saying that I like Cyril and Percy (mentioned above) and Hector, Walter, Edwin, Ernest too. So it's my sort of name!

MummyBeerest Mon 24-Mar-14 19:25:23

I love Peter and think it's timeless.

I just can't picture a newborn Stanley.

Buzzybees Mon 24-Mar-14 20:10:14

I love Stanley. My friend's DS is a 1 year old Stanley & it's really sweet & cool on him.

redhead78 Mon 24-Mar-14 20:14:27

I like Stanley but it's an old family name for us and most of the boys born into our clan have it as a middle name. I also like the nn Stan for younger ones too smile

BananaHammocks Mon 24-Mar-14 20:38:30

It's old fashioned but also very current, currently the 74th most popular name for boys.

Bowlersarm Mon 24-Mar-14 20:46:01

I really don't like Stanley. I find it such an unattractive name. And yes old fashioned. My image is a 70 year old man wearing a string vest and stinking of cigarette smoke. And balding, with a comb over.

Although once I had met your cherubic little boy, I suppose the above image would be replaced by cherubic little boy image.

What else are you considering OP? Anything other than Claude?

MaxsMummy2012 Mon 24-Mar-14 20:48:16

I actually quite like Stanley - I don't like it shortened to stan though.

thegreatgatsby101 Mon 24-Mar-14 20:50:50

Much prefer Peter. Stanley is fashionable at the mo but it will be naff again by the time your baby is 14. Sorry! Just can't imagine a teen boy enjoying being called Stanley :/
There are much better 'old man' names out there if that's your thing?!

BikeRunSki Mon 24-Mar-14 20:51:02

Peter is a particularly groovy middle name, it is DS's . He is 5 and I have uncles called Peter on both sides of the family.

RabbitPies Mon 24-Mar-14 21:09:33

Peter is nice. Stanley is a very unattractive name.

insideout Mon 24-Mar-14 21:13:11

TBH I haven't got a clue about other names I keep yelling out different ones to DH and DD, but I just can't imagine actually having a baby boy!
We could only use Peter as a middle name as practically everyone in DH's family has it in their name somewhere!

NigellasDealer Mon 24-Mar-14 21:16:39

I like Stanley it's kind of vintage cool

TessOfTheBaublevilles Mon 24-Mar-14 21:19:03

I love it.

I know someone with twin boys named Sidney and Stanley (aka Sid and Stan) and I think it's so cool.

I also love Claude and think Claude Peter sounds fine.

Rumplestiltskinismyname Mon 24-Mar-14 21:19:13

I love both names! And Sidney... think Sidney Peter would also rock!

Rumplestiltskinismyname Mon 24-Mar-14 21:19:37

x-post Tess!

TheRaniOfYawn Mon 24-Mar-14 21:21:21

Stanley is a little bit too fashionable for my liking.

NigellasDealer Mon 24-Mar-14 21:23:42

gosh is it really? it was my grandfather's name (born 1890ish) and my stepfather's (war baby) and my cousin's! (fifty something)

JerusalemArtichoke Mon 24-Mar-14 21:30:09

I love Stanley. I know a super cool seven year old Stanley. It goes nicely with Peter. I say go for it.

ShadowFall Tue 25-Mar-14 08:34:01

Stanley's coming back into fashion and was one of the top 100 boy's names in 2012.

I really like Stanley. And it goes much better with Peter than Claude does.

TimeForAnotherNameChange Tue 25-Mar-14 21:20:02

I think it's old fashioned yes, but it and other 'old man' names are rapidly coming back - ds2's reception class has a Stanley, a Jim (just Jim, not James), an Arthur, a Fred and a Sidney!

insanelycheerful Tue 25-Mar-14 22:15:02

I love the name Stanley! (Sadly DH has vetoed for us...) Stanley Peter is a great name!

I am a fan of "old man's names" generally though.

Where I live (Bucks), Stanley is very popular. There are 3 in one of the toddler groups I go to. Not sure if this factor bothers you at all, but just mentioning. It seems to be one of those names that is not necessarily top 10 but can be very popular depending on where you live. Definitely on the up in terms of popularity, but a really good name in my opinion smile

DramaAlpaca Tue 25-Mar-14 22:40:00

Peter is lovely. How convenient that you can honour both grandfathers at once smile

In general I don't really like old fashioned names, but Stanley is one of the better ones. I know a 17 year old Stan so that perhaps colours my opinion - I think it's a very cool name on a teenager.

I don't like Claude at all, and it doesn't go as well with Peter as Stanley does.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now