Talk

Advanced search

Last minute doubt over name

(16 Posts)
EST0106 Mon 24-Mar-14 16:19:13

Hello,
Just after some suggestions or reassurance perhaps! I'm 39 weeks and we're having a boy. DH is a total pain when it comes to names, has to be traditional, no 'shortenings' as a given name, nothing currently too popular, say top 10, although he'd never check so can get round this one, oh and nothing 'old testament' I.e Noah etc !!
The only name we can agree on is Frederick, now I'm not that keen on this particularly but like Freddy which is what he will be referred to day to day. My doubts are now - Freddy, cute for a baby/small child not so much for an adult. That leaves Fred, but is this a bit 'old man'?
We have a DD called Eleanor which we don't shorten...yet! Middle name of DS will be Nicholas after family member.
Any thoughts gratefully received!!
Thanks

outtheothersidefinally Mon 24-Mar-14 16:24:06

Great name!! The long, medium and short version! Congratulations, enjoy resting and time with DD until you get to meet Freddy!

Orangeisthenewbanana Mon 24-Mar-14 16:26:56

I really like it - can imagine a Freddy of any age. Goes well with the MN too.

guineapig2014 Mon 24-Mar-14 16:33:32

I think Freddy Nicholas sounds great. I also think that Freddy is a nice name for any age and Fred is definitely not too 'old man!'
Congrats btw thanks

IamInvisible Mon 24-Mar-14 16:39:09

DS1(19) has a friend of the same age called Freddie. It suits him, it's not a cutesie or babyish name, it's a great name. Freddy and Eleanor sound good together too.

I think most people get last minute jitters about the name they have chosen, I know I did.

Congratulations,btw. smile

EST0106 Mon 24-Mar-14 17:34:41

Thank you so much, I feel much better!! I'm sure it is just last minute jitters! Thanks also for the congrats. smile

hunreeeal Mon 24-Mar-14 18:50:51

How about Alfred with Freddy for short? Then he could be Al, Alfie, Alf, Alfred or Freddy?

bugsyburge Mon 24-Mar-14 19:00:29

great name.... I had a daughter 4 weeks ago, if she had been a boy she was most likely going to be Frederick....incidentally my doubts were the exact same as yours

Iona1651 Wed 26-Mar-14 16:26:27

How about Rick/Ricky to shorten Frederick?

ChickenMe Thu 27-Mar-14 09:47:09

Freddie/y is cool.

OwlCapone Thu 27-Mar-14 09:49:45

There are plenty of nicknames from Frederick should your strapping 23 year old son not want to be Freddie smile

eepie Fri 28-Mar-14 16:16:26

Freddie is cute for a little boy/baby and I know a 25 year old pro skater called Fred who is very cool and his name definitely suits him - good for a little boy, a teenager, a young man and if he ever wanted to sound more "professional" as an older man he could be Frederick.

affinia Fri 28-Mar-14 16:24:00

Lots of little Freddies around. Not saying its common, just normal and plenty of people share that view!

Chloerose75 Sat 29-Mar-14 13:10:14

Frederick/Freddie/Fred is a nice name and I love Nicholas as well, such a solid classic but you don't see it so much these days. Lovely

MackerelOfFact Sat 29-Mar-14 14:03:17

Freddie is fine for an adult - Freddie Flintoff and Freddie Kruger spring to mind!

YokoUhOh Sat 29-Mar-14 14:14:15

DS is Alfred nn Freddie - we love it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now