Talk

Advanced search

William and George as brothers - too royal?

(21 Posts)
SpanielFace Sun 23-Mar-14 19:02:57

We have a William, aged 18 months. I'm pregnant with DC2, if it's a boy we have been considering George, but not sure if it's a bit too "royalist"! Many of the other names on our list have been used by the royal family, eg Edward, James, Henry - we prefer classic names, so it tends to go with the territory. But I'm not sure if William and George is too much? Would you think anything of it?

DramaAlpaca Sun 23-Mar-14 19:08:11

No, not too much at all.

I'd just think you liked classic names & that you had good taste.

NurseyWursey Sun 23-Mar-14 19:08:38

I would think too royal yes

99redbafoons Sun 23-Mar-14 19:19:39

I wouldn't think it was silly or anything but I might think it was slightly "safe" especially because William has just had George.

Fuckeroo Sun 23-Mar-14 19:21:49

I've accidentally got a William and Harry, it didn't occur to me until Wills was 6 weeks old.

People do sometimes comment.

manicinsomniac Sun 23-Mar-14 19:26:37

No, it's not too royal. There must be thousands of William and George pairs of all ages from babies to ancient old men. They're just good, solid, timeless and perennially popular English names and the royals can't own them.

Lovely choices.

Bowlersarm Sun 23-Mar-14 19:33:39

Not a problem.

I know a few families with both William and George who are teens. So it is obviously a combination people think go together, before the baby prince came along.

I would just class them as traditional names which are currently popular such as Edward, James, Louis, Henry, Harry, Charlie, Freddie. With William, and George amongst them.

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Sun 23-Mar-14 19:43:35

My dad is called William George, I share the same name as a few queens, DD has the name of another queen, my brother is called the name of a previous and future king....

We are traditional yes, but royalists no!

hunreeeal Sun 23-Mar-14 20:37:28

They'd be fine together. They're both traditional, reasonably popular names. William and Harry would be a step too far though.

Mrsindecision Sun 23-Mar-14 20:42:42

Both good solid traditional names - I know quite a few families with this boy combo - no problem at all. I wouldn't think anything of it, apart from the fact that I like both names!

HopelessDei Sun 23-Mar-14 20:58:27

I wouldn't think of the royals at all. I would yawn though - the country is awash with Williams and Georges.

MrsBungle Sun 23-Mar-14 21:01:08

I would immediately think of the royals.

SpanielFace Sun 23-Mar-14 21:19:40

That's reassuring, thank you! That's about 90% of you who wouldn't immediately think of the royals. I don't care if people don't like the names or think they are boring tbh - our children, our choice! I like the fact they are classic, ageless, solid babes.

Ludways Sun 23-Mar-14 21:25:14

I definitely wouldn't think royals, I'd think of my granddads, William and George. Two wonderful men and never more loved!

looki Mon 24-Mar-14 07:02:31

I would spot the connection immediately and to be honest, it would put me off. I also wouldn't use both William and Kate together (there was another thread about these two names recently).

BikeRunSki Mon 24-Mar-14 07:07:44

I have adult cousins called William and George and the "royal" connection has never crossed my mind.

Royal names are general just traditional, classic names, to be used by everyone!

2gorgeousboys Mon 24-Mar-14 07:14:03

My George's middle name is William. DSS also has a kingly name which has also been mentioned. I must admit to being a little disappointed when William and Kate chose George as it would rise in popularity. When we chose the name for DS2 10 years ago I only knew of one other boy with the name.

Pinkcustardpurplecustard Mon 24-Mar-14 14:14:51

Great names and nice together

thegreatgatsby101 Mon 24-Mar-14 14:25:19

They are lovely, lovely names and I would just assume you had good (if a little safe) taste.

Ilovebean Mon 24-Mar-14 16:01:10

I would just think you like traditional lovely names. George was on our 'if only' list as it's my brothers name. If mum hadn't used a time machine to steal if from me 21 years ago, then I'd be using it now. It's gorgeous.

Nataleejah Tue 25-Mar-14 15:48:19

Nice, classic names... Good enough for royals

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now