Talk

Advanced search

Tessa or Saskia

(50 Posts)
BananaHammocks Sat 22-Mar-14 20:53:22

I find something wrong with every name I like!

Tessa - Originally a nickname for Teresa, does it hold up on it's own? Doesn't seem to have done Tessa Jowell much harm!

Saskia - Is it too Dutch? I have a mixed European heritage but no Dutch!! Also is it a bit.... low rent?

Aaargh the perfect name just doesn't exist!!

Bowlersarm Sat 22-Mar-14 20:54:30

I like them both.

But Tessa slightly more. Definitely a stand alone name.

NadiaWadia Sat 22-Mar-14 21:17:00

Don't know. But when I was a nanny in London in the 80s Saskia was a quite an upmarket name. Lots of little Saskias in green welly-wearing, aga-owning households. Can't have changed that much since, surely? It's a nice name.

Millipedewithherfeetup Sat 22-Mar-14 21:23:11

Saskia gets my vote, can be nivknamed to sassy which I love (sassy Holford wedding dresses )sound's really classy to me.

EyelinerQueen Sat 22-Mar-14 21:26:38

Saskia is lovely. Strong yet pretty and feminine and not overused.

Tessa is a plain, distinctly unglamorous and rather ungainly name to me.

Leggingsandtrainersnonono Sat 22-Mar-14 21:28:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WhoAteAllTheCremeEggs Sat 22-Mar-14 21:30:40

Love Tessa, I knew a lovely Tessa (toddler at the time) it really suited her.

hunreeeal Sat 22-Mar-14 21:34:28

I like Saskia.

squoosh Sat 22-Mar-14 21:35:10

They're so different!

Tessa is cosy and homely with a big welcoming granny bosom.

Saskia is cool and sophisticated.

I vote for Saskia.

EdithWeston Sat 22-Mar-14 21:36:48

Saskia is wonderful!

Tessa is a nn to me.

MrsT2007 Sat 22-Mar-14 21:47:00

My daughter Lois was nearly Saskia....

Blueberrybaby Sat 22-Mar-14 21:59:38

I love Saskia. It's very cool and pretty, but DH vetoed it off my list on the grounds he thought it couldn't possibly be an actual name. He thought I had made it up. I find Tessa a bit child of the 1950s/1960s to me, quite dated.

PreciousPeach Sat 22-Mar-14 23:19:51

I really love both, but I think Saskia is the one I would love to be called myself! Sassy would be an amazing nn!

Leeds2 Sat 22-Mar-14 23:32:37

My DD was born in 1998. I was admitted to hospital late in the pregnancy, when I honestly thought I was losing her. The young doctor who looked after me was called Saskia. I believed she had saved DD's life, and that it was a lovely, unusual name. I decided that if the baby was a girl, I would call her Saskia.

Got home, and my sister asked me if I had had any thoughts on baby names. I replied that I liked Saskia. She burst out laughing and told me to stop taking the piss. Then, the following week, Steve Owen (Eastenders) had a mad girlfriend called Saskia who shot hiim, and it was a definite no-no for a name at that time. My sister's comments didn't help either!

I still think it is lovely.

I went to school with a Tessa, which was her actual name. Have since known a couple of younger girls called Tess, which I think I prefer.

Mireio Sat 22-Mar-14 23:59:50

I prefer Saskia.

RabbitPies Sun 23-Mar-14 00:06:53

Tessa is lovely. Saskia is horrid.

aGirlDownUnder1 Sun 23-Mar-14 03:46:50

Saskia is lovely. Tessa is a bit meh

Chells Sun 23-Mar-14 03:57:53

Both lovely names! I'd keep them both and wait to see which one 'suits' baby more!

BananaHammocks Sun 23-Mar-14 06:50:57

Wow, I really thought Mumnset would approve of Tessa more! Would be Tess for short. The only Tessa's I've known are now 27 and 30 so I don't see it as an old name, but old names are trendy so that's ok I guess!

I thought people might see Saskia as a name that fits in with Savannah, Sienna, that kind of thing? Bit too glam, I've seen it called a chavvy/towie type name on other threads which had made me wary of using it.

GoodnessIsThatTheTime Sun 23-Mar-14 06:56:32

Our nct group thought the person who named their child saskia head made it up...

It's grown on me though.

Tessaof think of as a nick name, but that's not unusual at the moment. I quite like Tess.

williaminajetfighter Sun 23-Mar-14 07:01:29

Tessa was my 2nd choice for DD. Sad I didn't use it. Watch the film 'now is good' where the boyfriend of the girl Tessa in the film paints the name Tessa in graffiti all over the town. It really got to me.

Saskia is a bit too posh and mean girl...

Bonsoir Sun 23-Mar-14 07:02:00

I'm not wild about Saskia and I'm not really sure why. I knew a lovely Saskia many years ago.

I prefer Tess to Tessa.

JerusalemArtichoke Sun 23-Mar-14 07:05:14

I love Tessa. Tess of the D'Ubervilles is one of my female heroines and I wanted to name one if my DDs after her but it didn't work with our last name.

Eastpoint Sun 23-Mar-14 07:05:21

I really like the name Saskia. Not too unusual, easy to spell and pronounce & the Saskias I know are all lovely. One is 30, one 18 & the other 15 ½. I like Tessa too but not as much, the younger one is always Tess, she's late 20s now.

hollyisalovelyname Sun 23-Mar-14 08:27:41

Saskia
No contest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now