Talk

Advanced search

Alys or Elliot...

(24 Posts)
Curlyweasel Thu 20-Mar-14 14:20:08

We don't know what we're having but I love these two names. Want to use Welsh spelling of Alys (for sentimental reasons).

I've come up with most of the names so far, which DP and DD don't like. These two were deemed acceptable only... I'm thinking of simply overruling them...

Mireio Thu 20-Mar-14 16:11:37

I like Alys with this spelling. Not a fan of Elliot though.

hunreeeal Thu 20-Mar-14 17:06:48

I like both Alys and Elliot.

Alisvolatpropiis Thu 20-Mar-14 22:07:17

Alys!

DramaAlpaca Thu 20-Mar-14 22:08:39

I like both a lot.

Charlie01234 Thu 20-Mar-14 22:18:36

I have an Elliot so am biased. Always gets spelt wrong though - elliott - even when it's written down for them (school, clubs etc) gives me the rage!!! He was named after Elliot in ET - only boys name we had when I was expecting him.

kerstina Thu 20-Mar-14 22:21:09

I considered Elliot but went for Ellis instead and never regretted it .

perplexedpirate Thu 20-Mar-14 22:22:34

Both lovely.

::unhelpful::

Curlyweasel Fri 21-Mar-14 09:42:41

Well, I will take it that 7 of you have good taste and stick with these then! Thanks, ladies.

Mumof3xx Fri 21-Mar-14 09:45:37

I love Elliot

Dd would have been Elliot or Oscar had she been a boy

Stat Fri 21-Mar-14 11:25:02

I've never seen Alys before, and wouldn't know how to pronounce it (I have lived in Wales, although I'm not Welsh). What is the English equivalent of it?

derektheladyhamster Fri 21-Mar-14 11:26:13

love Alys

BitOutOfPractice Fri 21-Mar-14 11:28:55

I assume Alys the Welsh spelling of Alice?

I think it's pretty but you'll have to accept it will be mispelled and / or mispronounced. Before I get pounced on, I know it shouldn't but if you chose an "unusual" spelling of a name you have to accept that people will mispell it (that includes having Elliot with one 't' as well I'm afraid - sorry Charlie but you will spend a lot of time with the rage if you spell a name differently from the accepted spelling)

Not keen on Elliot tbh but I don't hate it either. It's quite a popular name in these parts

Stat Fri 21-Mar-14 11:31:17

Oh, you are not choosing between Elliot and Alys for a boy, but it is Elliot for a boy and Alys for a girl? And Alys is the Welsh spelling of Alice?

In that case, Elliot is a good traditional but not over used boys name. Personally I'm not keen on Alice/Alys, and I think the spelling is potentially confusing outside Wales.

mostlysinging Fri 21-Mar-14 11:36:39

I like Alys but would as it's the name I'm known by.

As said above you will have to accept it will get misspelled some of the time, have less people mispronouncing it - remember one person who called me Elise and when I corrected her was told that she had the same spelling of her name but pronounced it Elise. People often think it's short for something too.

BikeRunSki Fri 21-Mar-14 11:39:13

I like them both, especially Alys (but then I am a boring, English Alice).

However, I have a normal sounding surname with an unusual spelling, and I would hesitate to use a non-standard spelling of a name I had a choice over, as I have spent a great of my life spelling my name, chasing up email sent to the wrong spelt address etc.

Curlyweasel Fri 21-Mar-14 11:54:19

Thanks all. Some things to ponder I guess. I'm already having to correct with DDs name - which I find odd as I don't think Lydia is a difficult name to spell! I've always loved the name Alice and I really wanted a Welsh name for next baby if possible. DP and DD have refused my other Welsh suggestions, so when I saw Alys I thought I'd try it out on you lot first.

Charlie01234 Fri 21-Mar-14 12:43:45

Point taken BitOutOfPractice - always assumed Elliott was the surname spelling and Elliot the correct first name spelling.

zgaze Fri 21-Mar-14 12:53:28

I have an Alys (also for Welsh sentimental reasons), no-one struggles with the spelling once they know that's how it is - I think most people are familiar with the gardening journalist Alys Fowler so it's not too unusual.

Interestingly a few people mispronounced it at the beginning as Aleeeeees which I found weird given that our surname rhymes with -eeeeeeees. Would have been an odd choice of name!

LoveVintage Fri 21-Mar-14 12:54:41

kerstina I have an Ellis too! Fab name!

BitOutOfPractice Fri 21-Mar-14 13:12:44

Dunno Charlie - I would automatically spell it with two Ts. You'll come across lots of people who will do the same so you could potentially waste a lot of valuable rage over the years! Think how you could spend that rage better! wink

Alisvolatpropiis Fri 21-Mar-14 19:41:21

I don't think I realised it wasn't either/or on first reading!

I really like Elliot too.

I thought Elliot went like this -

Elliot - first name
Elliott - surname
Eliot - wrong

ThreeBecameFour Sun 23-Mar-14 08:45:51

I like both the names. Elliot was on my boys list but DH wasn't keen...

Bigmonkeylittlemonkey Sun 23-Mar-14 08:48:34

I have an Elliott - 2 T's as we felt it looked more complete. Such a lovely boy's name

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now