Talk

Advanced search

Hattie

(35 Posts)
PreciousPeach Wed 19-Mar-14 09:50:47

So today I'm crushing on the name Hattie. Astrid is also in the running.

Which do you prefer Astrid or Hattie. I personally would go with Hattie on the birth cert (I know that this would not be everyone's choice but I am certin on that)

What vibe do you get from each name. Is Hattie too cutey cutey? Is Astrid too harsh?

Thanks in advance!

Dovahkiin Wed 19-Mar-14 09:56:43

I love Hattie! It's the girl in Tom's Midnight Garden. Much prefer it to Astrid - East German weightlifter vibes, I'm afraid.

PreciousPeach Wed 19-Mar-14 10:16:45

grin @ East German weightlifter vibes!!

MrsSpencerReid Wed 19-Mar-14 10:20:07

Love hattie grin astrid was almost top of my list for ds2!!

Sharaluck Wed 19-Mar-14 10:45:53

Astrid is my preference.

I can't get passed the 'hat' in 'Hattie' sorry.

stinkingbishop Wed 19-Mar-14 10:48:47

Hattie is gorgeous. Astrid always seems a bit cold/mature to me. But why wouldn't you call her Harriet officially and then just call her Hattie everyday?

Hettie (for Henrietta) is lovely too.

Only1scoop Wed 19-Mar-14 10:52:01

Love Harriet....'Hattie' as Nn.

I only knew one Astrid and she was German. Very Beautiful.

Ludways Wed 19-Mar-14 10:54:32

Hattie is lovely, I also like Astrid.

squoosh Wed 19-Mar-14 10:59:37

It reminds me of Tom's Midnight Garden too. One of my favourite childhood books.

hunreeeal Wed 19-Mar-14 11:52:45

I'd usually go for the non-nicknamey choice. But I don't like Astrid so vote for Hattie.

Burren Wed 19-Mar-14 12:17:52

Hattie is lovely.

I like Astrid myself, but am surprised (on a naming forum that seems obsessed with bodily-function-related playground teases your child could be subjected to on the grounds of a name) that no one else is shouting 'You can't name your child something that starts with 'Ass'! What if she married a man called Sidebottom? Huh? What about that?'

PreciousPeach Wed 19-Mar-14 12:20:23

Burren I'm also surprised that the Ass thing has not been mentioned as it is a concern for me with Astrid!

Wishfulmakeupping Wed 19-Mar-14 12:23:01

Love Hattie as a nn for Harriet

Burren Wed 19-Mar-14 13:05:44

Well, it wouldn't have occurred to me in a million years, Precious, but 'whether my child's name/initials might sound like something to do with poo/willies/sex/bums to a five year old' seems to be a preoccupation on here!

hunreeeal Wed 19-Mar-14 14:40:42

It's the "rid" part of Astrid I don't like. I like other names starting with As, such as Aster.

noodlebum Wed 19-Mar-14 14:58:37

I really like both names! grin

PreciousPeach Wed 19-Mar-14 17:45:15

I think Hattie is starting to win over Astrid, just have to work on dh who says he has to think about it!

Montsti Wed 19-Mar-14 18:54:35

I like them both but think Hattie sounds like a nickname and would put Harriet or Henrietta on the BC even if I was planning on always calling her Hattie.

I went to school with an Astrid and for some reason I always thought "Astride" when I heard her name...infantile I know...

Hattie my favourite!

kobaybasher Wed 19-Mar-14 18:57:16

Hattie, lovely smile

My dd has a "nickname" as her name. I didn't see the point in putting something on her birth certificate that I will never call her - if you like Hattie name her that grin

RabbitPies Wed 19-Mar-14 19:03:52

Hattiesburg is lovely. I hate Astrid. It's harsh,and has an unpleasant sound IMHO.

Montsti Wed 19-Mar-14 19:34:43

Fair point kobaybasher. I just have an irrational obsession with longer names that can be shortened. Fwiw - I love the name Hattie!

kobaybasher Wed 19-Mar-14 21:17:49

Montsti - I apologise, my post was in no way commenting on yours, I am just a bit sensitive about names/nn after an elderly lady asked my dd name, and when I told her she said "no, what's her real name" hmm

Tbh when I was choosing dd name there were plenty of "long" names I love, but I knew they would get shortened and I didn't like the shortened version iyswim

Names are so important and so controversial it seems!

elQuintoConyo Wed 19-Mar-14 21:23:46

Hattie. Jacques. Marvellous woman, fabulous name.
Astrid comes from Coblenz and breeds alsatians. She'd be like one of the 'stuff and nonsense' women from French and Saunders!

Teatimecakes Wed 19-Mar-14 21:40:04

Hattie is a great name! I know a little girl called hattie, a friends child, and she's gorgeous in every way; bright, articulate, super cute, bags of personality. It just really suits her. A great name x

Tranquilitybaby Wed 19-Mar-14 23:29:52

Hattie is lovely x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now