Talk

Advanced search

Too old to be known as Lizzie?

(18 Posts)
MeantToStopAtTwo Sun 16-Mar-14 12:00:46

Is Lizzie a nickname one outgrows, do you think? Is it a bit cutesy for a professional adult? Is there a point when one should switch to Elizabeth or just Liz? Or can it be lifelong?

hunreeeal Sun 16-Mar-14 12:17:24

It's fine for any age.

mumbaisapphirebluespruce Sun 16-Mar-14 12:20:39

I also think it is fine for any age. I know a little girl called Lizzie. She is Elizabeth so when she is older she has the option and could go for Liz or Elizabeth.

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 16-Mar-14 12:21:25

I've not known any adult Lizzie's. I'm sure they do exist though!

LePetitPont Sun 16-Mar-14 12:21:27

One of my best friends is called Lizzie. She is 34. Also a Lizzie at work who is a senior manager.

OneHandFlapping Sun 16-Mar-14 12:22:43

No it's fine.

However, I know a number of a certain type of posh older women called the likes of Dodo, DeeDee, BooBoo and Dumpy, and this seems infantilising and bizarre.

JabberJabberJay Sun 16-Mar-14 12:29:44

I know a Lizzie.

She is 33 and a senior manager in the NHS.

bakingtins Sun 16-Mar-14 15:36:28

The Lizzies I know are in their 30s and 50s.

if she is registered as Elizabeth she'll have the option of her full name or any of the many NNs if she feels Lizzie lacks any necessary gravitas.

Mrsindecision Sun 16-Mar-14 15:41:11

I know a very glamorous grown up one. Suits her perfectly and is not at all cutesy.

moas Sun 16-Mar-14 15:50:11

Lizzie is my auntie-in-law. She's approaching 80 and a catholic nun.

Delphiniumsblue Sun 16-Mar-14 15:59:03

I can't see the problem. I know an elderly Lizzie. They can be any age. They make up their own minds when they are older anyway, the name the parents start off with can be irrelevant.

Ilikepancakes Mon 17-Mar-14 16:50:12

I think it is okay to go by Lizzie as an adult, it's pretty but note overly cutesy. I think it sounds much prettier than just Liz. I've heard of adult Elizabeths who go by Libby or Bessie so I don't see why Lizzie would be a problem.

BeattieBow Mon 17-Mar-14 16:52:17

I know a 40something Lizzy and have been working with someone called Lizzy recently too.

My friend the Lizzy goes by the name Liz for her professional life though.

Sillybillybob Mon 17-Mar-14 16:53:26

My DM is a Lizzie and she's in her 60s...

Sillybillybob Mon 17-Mar-14 16:55:29

Pont I also know a 34 year old Lizzie - I wonder if she's the same one!

dumpy shock why on earth would you?!

YouGrateMyCheese Tue 18-Mar-14 13:09:22

I knew a Liz who, at 21, decided that she wanted to be called Lizzie, and that was that! So you could say she went the opposite way. I also know another professional Lizzie. At first I was surprised that she didn't go by Liz - every 20-something Elizabeth seems to want to go by Liz - but I find it really refreshing now. Actress Lizzy Caplan - she played Janis in Mean Girls and is gorgeous - is a good example of an adult Lizzie/y.

Delphiniumsblue Tue 18-Mar-14 13:13:37

That is why it is pointless worrying about it. The person chooses their own nickname.

YouGrateMyCheese Tue 18-Mar-14 13:15:29

Oh and I was talking names with yet another Liz and she was saying how, when she was younger, she went by Libby, and she wished it had stuck, preferring it to Liz. I thought that was interesting, since Liz is often cited as the more "grown-up" nickname for Elizabeth yet she clearly liked Libby more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now