Talk

Advanced search

Are these too boring?

(29 Posts)
BlondeMalteser Sat 15-Mar-14 16:55:56

What do you think of Anne or Bette? I'm not overly keen on Annabel but do like Anne. It makes me think of Anne Hathaway who is one of my favourite actresses and gives the name a really elegant and classy connotation for me. I am also growing more and more find of Bette and think Betty is a cute nn. Husband quite likes them but thinks they are a bit boring. Kate is one of his faves which I also like but can't see why he thinks bette is dull, yet likes Kate.

Husband also really likes Veronica. I do think Ronnie is a cute nn but not sure if it's just a bit too masculine?

hunreeeal Sat 15-Mar-14 17:03:27

I like Anne, not keen on Bette.

How about Vanessa as an alternative to Veronica?

SolveAProblemLikeMaria Sat 15-Mar-14 17:20:00

I'm not too keen on Bette either, but as you say Bette/Kate are in a way very similar and I LOVE Kate. Betty is cute though...so maybe Elizabeth if you are really keen on Betty? I also like Anne and I think Ronnie is a nice name although I can't help but think of Ronnie Mitchell!

bouquetofpencils Sat 15-Mar-14 17:56:31

They are it boring. They are classic and feminine. I would rate them as

Anne
Kate
Bette

I prefer Verity to Veronica.

bouquetofpencils Sat 15-Mar-14 17:56:51

Not, not it!

alita7 Sat 15-Mar-14 18:07:21

Hmm I don't like bette or veronica. I don't like Anne either really but Kate is nice.

WowserBowser Sat 15-Mar-14 18:11:07

I don't find them boring.

I find really common names boring.

MadameJosephine Sat 15-Mar-14 18:12:29

I prefer Anna to Anne, beautiful classic name. I'm not keen on Bette or Veronica at all, sorry

bloodybutunbowed Sat 15-Mar-14 18:13:23

They're classic and elegant rather than boring. Though I do prefer Anna rather than Anne.

bloodybutunbowed Sat 15-Mar-14 18:13:57

Great minds MadameJosephine! grin

Elllimam Sat 15-Mar-14 18:14:37

We are going for Elizabeth but I like Bette as a nn. Anne is also lovely, reminds me of Anne Boleyn (in a good way, I liked The Other Boleyn Girl) not keen on Ronnie x

mum2jakie Sat 15-Mar-14 18:20:33

I like all of your suggested names aside from Veronica which I find has quite an ugly sound.(Possible because it reminds me of verruca??!)

MrsBungle Sat 15-Mar-14 18:22:09

I'm not keen on Bette. I like Anne, it's a lovely name. I do think kate is boring.

Morgause Sat 15-Mar-14 18:24:00

Lovely classic names. Easy to pronounce and spelt properly.

SS3J Sat 15-Mar-14 18:42:29

They are not boring because they are not very popular these days. Anne is my favourite. I like Kate but would say that is a bit on the dull side and I'm not keen on Bette or Veronica - just don't like the sound of either.

CruCru Sat 15-Mar-14 20:47:09

Anne is lovely.

noodlebum Mon 17-Mar-14 11:25:24

I prefer Anna

Blueberrybaby Mon 17-Mar-14 12:53:12

Anne and Bette aren't my cup of tea, but I prefer 3 or 4 syllable names generally, so they seem a little plain to me. I think there are nicer 1 syllable names out there though! Just can't think of any! Sorry.

IPokedABadgerWithASpoon Mon 17-Mar-14 13:09:16

As the lone voice, I'm going to say I love Bette!

WowserBowser Mon 17-Mar-14 13:16:14

I like Bette, too!

HavantGuard Mon 17-Mar-14 13:20:51

I like Kate and Anne.

Have you considered Beth?

HolidayCriminal Mon 17-Mar-14 13:26:36

Does Bette rhyme with Net or with Jetty?
My mother was a Betty & loathed it.

Misspilly88 Mon 17-Mar-14 18:34:49

Bette is an amazing name, love Betty for nn too. Go for it!

LargeBustedMamma Mon 17-Mar-14 20:11:35

Prefer Bette over Anne but prefer Beth over Bette. is that helpful? Probably not! Best of luck OP

SisterChristina Tue 18-Mar-14 14:07:47

There may not be many children called Anne but there are hundreds of thousands of women my mum's age who have the name. In fact all my mum's friends are called either Jill or Anne come to think of it.

I know old names always have a resurgence, but it's usually names from further back, generationally. Think Violet, Lily, Ruby, Ivy, Mabel. The names of your grandparents' era rather than your parents'.

Anne is on a par with Janet, Susan, Barbara and Lynn. Not quite there yet! It may be a classic name, but it hasn't aged as well as Elizabeth, Lucy and similar.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now