Talk

Advanced search

Wingfield, Bird or Dukes?

(14 Posts)
travellingbird Sat 15-Mar-14 16:02:29

My DF and I are getting married soon, and will be taking a name from her family tree (her dad also used it at university) as our surname.

As it comes from her side, we would also like to take a middle name from my family tree, and any future children we had would have it as their middle name, too.

The three we like from my family are Wingfield, Bird and Dukes. I have the closest connection to Wingfield as my Grandfather still uses it, but this isn't particularly important to me, in fact it may seem more obviously favouring one side of my family over the other as it is the only name in the list still used by a living relative.

I appreciate this is an unusual way of doing things, but we have considered all the options and this is what we want.

So, two questions- which of the three would you rather have as a middle name? And, for any future children, which would make the best middle name for a baby?

FWIW all sound fine when said before our new surname.

ooerrmissus Sat 15-Mar-14 16:09:57

ooh interesting! I think I'd probably go for Wingfield, just because it sounds like a family name and not a rather off the wall first name, iyswim.

Bird could be a girls name, but might not suit a boy, and Dukes vice versa.

HTH

Roseformeplease Sat 15-Mar-14 16:16:01

Dukes is slang for fists (put your dukes up)

Bird doesn't work so well for a girl (birds = girls)

Wingfield sounds lovely.

travellingbird Sat 15-Mar-14 16:17:36

It does, thank you! I was leaning more towards the one-syllable ones as the surname we have is four syllables, but I guess the times in one's life when people say your entire name out loud are pretty rare! It's more a symbolic thing of having a nod to both families somewhere in our names.

CharlesRyder Sat 15-Mar-14 16:24:19

I like Wingfield too.

Congratulations on the wedding!

AuditAngel Sat 15-Mar-14 16:27:19

I like Wingfield the best too. My dad has Cooper as his middle name which is an old family surname, my nephew has it too.

travellingbird Sat 15-Mar-14 16:31:49

Thanks all!

DF just pointed out that if we took Wingfield, my initials when read aloud would sound a lot like 'raw dick' hmm

She seems more amused than put off by this, though grin

OwlCapone Sat 15-Mar-14 16:33:24

I think Wingfield is the only one that works as it isn't a noun.

travellingbird Sat 15-Mar-14 16:43:09

If we used Wingfield, would we need to ask my Grandfather first as it's 'his' name and not mine? I can't imagine he would say no, I just don't know anyone who has done this before to check what the etiquette is!

phoolani Sat 15-Mar-14 16:49:55

I like Dukes. Would sound well impressive if future dcs used all their three names at once as in 'X Dukes Y'.

BikeRunSki Sat 15-Mar-14 16:53:41

Wingfield

DramaAlpaca Sat 15-Mar-14 17:01:06

Wingfield

CharlesRyder Sat 15-Mar-14 17:01:41

You could cut DF's name down to 2 syllables and barrel it with Dukes.

So if DF's name is MonteCristo have Cristo-Dukes?

SlightlyDampWellies Sun 16-Mar-14 19:46:47

Wingfield is nice.

We have family names also bot sides. It is a really nice way to honour people.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now