Talk

Advanced search

Any thoughts or suggestions????

(14 Posts)
Dawniey1986 Fri 14-Mar-14 09:19:50

Hi theregringrin

Myself and my partner are finding it hard to agree on a name for our 2nd daughter (due beginning of June)......the names we have agreed on are Georgie and Brooke (this one being more partners choice).....but our 4 year old daughter is adamant she will be called Georgie......so we are thinking calling her "Georgie Brooke"........what are your thoughts???
can anyone think of any different ways to spell said names to make a little 'different' or any other name suggestions???
i do really like the name but feel as tho we are settling due to dd1 being insistent.....looking for a nice name that's not too common or "out there" smile

Dovahkiin Fri 14-Mar-14 09:30:38

Could you go with Georgia and have Georgie as the nickname? Will give her a few more options later in life smile

Dovahkiin Fri 14-Mar-14 09:33:38

I also wouldn't worry too much about challenging your DD1's ideas - my sister went through a phase of calling all of her toys 'Lucy' when she was 4. Won't she just accept the name you choose when you present her with a tiny new sister? (I might be being stupidly naive on this one - feel free to correct me!)

CountessOfRule Fri 14-Mar-14 09:34:32

Spelling a name unusually (that is, making up a spelling) doesn't actually change the name. Georgie/Jorjii sound the same so most people your daughter encounters will never know (nor care) how it's spelt. They won't have a chance to see that her parents were creative.

On the other hand, it's been shown that people with unusual names and creative spellings experience prejudice - Jorjii doesn't get as many job interviews as Georgie or Georgia.

Which brings me on to another thought. Are you dead set on Georgie which is usually a nickname for Georgia, Georgina or Georgiana? Would you consider giving her one of those longer names (I ADORE Georgia) to give her more options as she grows?

soontobeslendergirl Fri 14-Mar-14 09:49:45

I'm afraid I don't like Brooke at all, but hidden as a middle name it would be fine. I'm not usually one to bother about giving a full name even though you are using a shortened version, but I think in this case I would. I quite like Georgie, but it is a strong statement of a name and I think I'd like to retain the option of Georgia etc for the future.

Even if you choose something vastly different, your daughter will accept it. You just introduce the baby as "xxxxxx" and say that's her name. As far as she is concerned, you didn't choose the name, that just the name she came with wink

FrancesGlass Fri 14-Mar-14 09:54:56

Georgina Brooke (first and middle names)

Then for nicknames:
Georgie
Georgie-Brooke
or (my favourite)...Georgie B

UriGeller Fri 14-Mar-14 09:56:06

Its quite nice for your dd to know she named her sister, if you agree to the names too! If my dss had had their way, their little sister would be called Dracula Tyrannosaurus Rex.

Georgie is a nn though, it'll be the general assumption she must be a Georgina or a Georgia anyway so why not give her a formalised version and use Georgie as a cute nickname while she's small.

FrancesGlass Fri 14-Mar-14 09:59:09

In our house the nickname Georgie B. would probably then morph into Bee, Bumble Bee, BB, Beebalicious, Beelzubee (depending on behaviour!), etc. smile

Dawniey1986 Fri 14-Mar-14 17:55:44

Awww thanks everyone for your thoughts.....I know a few Georgia's so wouldn't want to name her that as her first name.....and I do agree with the spelling of 'Georgie'...bit hard to change without it looking silly.......I do think my dd1 would come round to whatever name we choose, Georgie was a name we both agreed on and she over heard and it's stuck with hershock.....we have through some other names around and she basically said (in her own words).,she would still call her Georgie haha although if we chose different she would just have to accept it....maybe use georgie as a middle name.....does anyone have any first name suggestions....it's so hard to find a name we agree on

bakingtins Sat 15-Mar-14 08:06:48

My ds2 wants to call our baby "Slippers" so I think you are getting off lightly. I agree with other posters that I'd go for Georgia, Georgina or Georgiana with Georgie as a NN. If your DD has just picked up on a name you both like why not give her a bit of a say, she'll be delighted to think she named her sister.

mumbaisapphirebluespruce Sat 15-Mar-14 12:43:31

I think Georgia Brooke is lovely, and don't worry about the other Georgia's you know. You may not know them forever. You can still use Georgie as a nn but Georgia gives her the option in later life. I know a lady who is Georgie to everyone but her full name is Georgina.

Dawniey1986 Sat 22-Mar-14 20:32:17

Thanks everyone....still undecided on a name as yet hmm

Pinkcustardpurplecustard Mon 24-Mar-14 14:40:50

I like georgie, Georgia, georgette (French), georgine

NadiaWadia Mon 24-Mar-14 15:26:17

Georgina, Georgia, Georgiana, Georgette. Georgie is very cute, but only a nickname. Don't you want people to take her seriously when she grows up?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now