Talk

Advanced search

Quirky middle names

(45 Posts)
minipie Thu 13-Mar-14 14:51:39

I'm reasonably conservative when it comes to first names but am looking for something a bit more unsual or quirky for the middle name. At the moment I like:

Girls' middle names:

Blythe
Fleur

Boys' middle names:

Griffin
Digby

Any other ideas for me? Are there names you would use as a middle name but not as a first name?

BlueChampagne Thu 13-Mar-14 15:12:09

How about:

girls: Vashti, Blaise
boys: Wreford, Torin

minipie Thu 13-Mar-14 15:26:16

Ooh Blaise is a good one.

Torin good too. Also reminded me I like Corin.

Thanks!

PreciousPeach Thu 13-Mar-14 15:56:01

Oh Fleur and Digby are GREAT! What first names are they to go with?

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Thu 13-Mar-14 16:02:16

I know a 16 year old Torin, it's a lovely name. He has James as a MN in case he grew up & didn't like Torin wink.

Hmm, Blaise sounds a bit like a Pokémon or a Gladiator (off of the telly). I would go for something like;

Boy = Blue, Leaf, Ocean
Girl = Blue, Rainbow, Blossom, Magenta etc.

I'm a bit of a hippy at heart grin.

manicinsomniac Thu 13-Mar-14 16:04:24

Girls:
Aria, Amberley, Bronte, Brodie, Briley, Carmen, Camryn, Della, Dixie, Dulcie, Etta, Effie, Enya, Ebony, Farryn, Genesis, Giselle, Harper, Hadleigh, Hebe, Isis, Iona, Jocelyn, Kayla, Kendall, Kiran, Lyra, Leandra, Larissa, Leonie, Marta, Mallory, Macie, Marnie, Nesta, Ocean, Piper, Pepper, Rivkah, Romy, Rowan, Rowena, Sadie, Saffron, Sorrell, Taylor, Tessa, Yvette, Zia, Zillah.

Boys:
Brogan, Brynn, Casper, Cosmo, Elliot, Ezra, Fitch, Harris, Harley, Ivan, Joachim, Jonty, Lennox, Mason, Morgan, Monty, Nico, Orson, Quinn, Rupert, Rex, Saul, Titus, Tian, Wesley

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Thu 13-Mar-14 16:05:14

P.S. OP, please consider Fleur very carefully if you live anywhere near, or have any relatives from, Birmingham/Walsall/West Mids area. Fleur is a lovely name, and one of my cousins names. Unfortunately, when some of "the relatives" say it, it sounds like they are being sick sad. Think more like Bleurrggghhhh.

minipie Thu 13-Mar-14 17:01:11

Santa you're right that's an issue with Fleur! No connections to that area though as it happens.

I really like Della, Dulcie, Hebe, Mallory, Romy, Tessa for girls and Bryn and possibly Morgan for boys.

Not sure about the hippyish ones sorry! They are a bit too much like disney characters for me...

Precious our my current first name favourites are Cecily and Dominic. Cecily doesn't seem to go with many middle names though (anything ending -y or -ie sounds too samey). And Dominic Digby is a bit too repetitive...

minipie Thu 13-Mar-14 17:01:53

Thank you all by the way!

rosielrh2 Thu 13-Mar-14 18:21:58

I love Primrose for a girl but would only be brave enough to use it as a mn. Same with Heath for a boy. Both go quite well with your current fav first names

minipie Thu 13-Mar-14 18:24:34

I like Heath but not good with surname (would make an airport!)

MothershipG Thu 13-Mar-14 18:26:43

And just what is wrong with Griffin as a first name??? Be careful how you answer that! wink

Best boys name, ever, bar none! grin

CecyHall Thu 13-Mar-14 18:28:45

This might out me but if ds2 was a girl his middle name would have been Tigerlily. As he was a boy DH got to choose a boring name.

TeaAndALemonTart Thu 13-Mar-14 18:30:04

Cecily Queenie.

Dominic Blue.

ManateeEquineOHara Thu 13-Mar-14 18:32:36

My dd had the mn Star. Definitely recommend indulging the hippy side (or whatever your 'quirk' is) with a mn. Dd loves her mn as Star but as a first name it would be a bit much.

minipie Thu 13-Mar-14 18:39:15

mothership it's a fab name! But DH would never agree, he's even more conservative than me, and I'm not sure I am brave enough. Do love it as a mn though.

Star would flow well <ponders>

Am something of a feminist so not sure I can call a boy Blue. How about Pink grin

keep em' coming!

MothershipG Thu 13-Mar-14 18:48:26

My DH took a little convincing too, especially as it's alliterative with our surname. smile

But it really attracts virtually no comment, except the occasional compliment, it's spelt phonetically and most people are familiar with it as a surname so it doesn't seem to strike people as outlandish. It's uncommon but not unheard of and easily shortened to Griff or Fin.

Like I said - perfect! wink

JessicaD21 Thu 13-Mar-14 19:21:49

Aurora
Luna
Floria
Elva
Elvie
Rue
Willa

Gatsby
?????? smile

JessicaD21 Thu 13-Mar-14 19:23:21

Forgot to say Digby is an AWESOME first name! Xxx

MyNameIsKenAdams Thu 13-Mar-14 19:24:20

Cecily Olive
Dominic Fox

minipie Thu 13-Mar-14 19:24:28

ooh I really like the sound of Rue but not its meaning grin

Gatsby would be fun ... probably a bit too self conscious for me though!

minipie Thu 13-Mar-14 19:25:44

Fox is good. But DH will then suggest Badger. He is obsessed with badgers. And then it will all get very silly....

Ham69 Thu 13-Mar-14 19:26:24

Was going to suggest the same as a previous poster
Cecilly Primrose. Love love love it.

Dominic Beau

furlinedsheepskinjacket Thu 13-Mar-14 19:27:06

this is a good idea op

I know some people who have gone a step further and used the middle name as a link up to the first name iyswim
so first name is same as a footballer and the middle name is the footballer's surname
and another where the initials spell out a fave type of car

minipie Thu 13-Mar-14 19:30:28

hmm furlined not too sure about that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now