Talk

Advanced search

Do names have to flow? First and middle/s I mean...

(13 Posts)
DailyBread Wed 12-Mar-14 19:28:34

If you have two names you love and can't bear not to use one, but they sound a bit clunky together ie. starting with same letter and sort of rhyming, can you still do it? Or would you break them up with another middle name?

MyNameIsKenAdams Wed 12-Mar-14 19:31:32

Ive used dd whole name once. I just picked the two names I liked the best. Whether they "flow" was not a priority.

I would have drawn the line at rhyming though.

alita7 Wed 12-Mar-14 19:37:12

What examples are you thinking of, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. But rhyming is usually bad - Bella Ella or Johnny Ronnie doesn't work!

DailyBread Wed 12-Mar-14 22:15:09

They don't really rhyme, rather they start and end with the same letter (as each other).

An example, though not the actually names, might be: Martha Maria

Bowlersarm Wed 12-Mar-14 22:20:47

I think I would be tempted to break them up with another name.

In your example I think Martha Elizabeth Maria sounds better than Martha Maria.

Do you have a second middle name in mind?

DailyBread Wed 12-Mar-14 22:44:40

Ha - yes, Elizabeth!

JustDanni Wed 12-Mar-14 23:13:41

Lol Regarless of middle names, our baby will have a "clunky" shounding name all together.
Last name... McClure

My mothet keeps joking that we should call baby 'Troy'!

"Hey, I'm Troy McClure..."

Not cool.envy

hunreeeal Thu 13-Mar-14 00:41:06

Martha Maria sounds lovely. No need for Elizabeth.

NadiaWadia Thu 13-Mar-14 02:42:17

Yes, I think Martha Maria does flow. Don't see why it matters they start with the same letter. Its alliteration, isn't it?

DailyBread Thu 13-Mar-14 02:59:36

Hmm...I might not have given a great example there as Martha Maria does sound rather lovely.

How about Emilia Emma?

mumbaisapphirebluespruce Thu 13-Mar-14 03:01:30

My DD's names are a bit rhymey in the sense that they both have 'ia' endings. I won't give the actual name but similar to Lydia Olivia. We agonized for a while, but the middle name was non negotiable for various family reasons. Funnily enough the middle name worked better with our 2nd choice girls name but I couldn't bear to not use my favourite girls name in case I never got the chance again. So it was decided. The combination is also 3 syllable followed by 4 syllable and we toyed with the addition of a third name, but it had to be something short to go in between and that just seemed to make things clunkier still, that, and we didn't want to just stick in a filler name with no meaning to us. We also didn't like any of the other family options. Say go with it. You rarely say both names together.

NadiaWadia Thu 13-Mar-14 03:11:21

Well Emilia Emma doesn't really work because the names are too similar. In fact they are probably just variations of the same name.

I think you just have to keep repeating the names over and over and see how it sounds. Be careful if the first name ends in 'a' and the second name starts with a vowel, because then you can get an 'r' sound creeping in when you say them together. Eg Amelia Anna would tend to sound like Amelia Ranna if you say it fast.

You don't want to post the names on here?

Bowlersarm Thu 13-Mar-14 06:42:33

If Elizabeth is a name you are toying with as well, then I'd just include it. Two of my DC have two middle names.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now