Talk

Advanced search

If you like a name but don't love it...

(10 Posts)
Lifeislikeaboxofchocolats Tue 11-Mar-14 10:10:27

Should you go for it?
I have liked the name Imogen for a while now but something is holding me back from committing. Is this normal? I thought I would feel clear cut about it but there is a slight ambivalence about it. But I don't really love any other names either or I find a reason why they are not suitable.
Will the name grow on you or is it a sign that it's not the one?

UriGeller Tue 11-Mar-14 10:15:03

Do you have other names you like equally?

Make a list of all the names you like then, when your baby comes along you can look at her and see which suits.

We loved a name for our dd (Beatrice) but when she was born, we looked at her and she really didnt suit it at all. The name we chose isn't anything like Beatrice.

UriGeller Tue 11-Mar-14 10:18:57

Sorry, just reread your post. If there isn't another name you like, then go with Imogen. You might need to find a baby suitable nickname for it, its rather a grown up name. Immie, Mo, Jennie. .?

looki Wed 12-Mar-14 01:27:24

I think some reservations are normal. With my first daughter I knew from the day I got my positive preg test what she would be called. When the time came to make it official, I started making lists!! We ended up with the original name and I love it.

With my second child, I didn't have a clear favourite. I narrowed it down to two and in the end, choose one. I'm still unsure if it's the right name!

DailyBread Wed 12-Mar-14 03:10:14

Why can't you just pick a different name?

Oriunda Wed 12-Mar-14 08:40:30

I don't think you actually need to love the name. DS' name was presented to me as a fait accompli after he was born (we had a deal that DH would choose if a boy with no discussion of names prior). My first thought wasn't 'love that/meh' etc etc. More that 'ok so that's his name then' and DS simply became his name. I love it now but because I love him.

alita7 Wed 12-Mar-14 10:01:53

See if she looks like an Imogen when she's born? But make sure you have a list of back ups.

mammamiaaaaa Wed 12-Mar-14 11:25:59

Thanks ladies. Think it may be the dreaded post natal hormones screwing with my mind!

Writerwannabe83 Wed 12-Mar-14 17:01:13

I don't love any names really.

My baby will be here in 9 days and is being called a name that although my husband really likes I'm relatively ambivalent about it. I like it, certainly don't hate it, I can imagine the baby being called it but I'm not raving over it either!!

We found out the sex 26weeks ago now and I'm happy to accept that if in 26 weeks worth of discussion I haven't come across a name that I 'love' then I doubt I ever will smile

KiwiBanana Wed 12-Mar-14 18:09:35

With DS we both loved Dominic to start with, then it turned to just liking it but feeling as if we'd already chosen it. Something about it didn't feel quite right.

Then when he was born we completely dismissed it, just didn't feel right for him.

How far are you? Do you have any other names at all you like? Best thing to do is make a little short list and then wait until baby is born to choose.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now