Talk

Advanced search

Is this a bit pretentious?

(56 Posts)
LJBanana Mon 10-Mar-14 09:25:32

Currently 39+ 4 and still have no names. We don't know what we are having, currently have 2 boys. We think we have a girls name but what do you think of the name Rafe-as in Fiennes or Spall?
Immediately I think it might be a bit pretentious, but the more I say it.......

NigellasDealer Mon 10-Mar-14 09:27:55

it is OK really, not too pretentious no, classic innit

Burren Mon 10-Mar-14 09:35:56

I like it. Are you planning to spell it Rafe? One potentially confusing factor is that some Ralphs pronounce their name Rafe eg Ralph Fiennes. (Though a colleague of mine met him years ago, and swears he introduced himself as Ralph (pronounced as spelled), not Rafe...)

NigellasDealer Mon 10-Mar-14 09:38:21

yes Ralph is pron. Rafe by 'posh' people.
would spell it Rafe to avoid confusion.

IHeartKingThistle Mon 10-Mar-14 09:39:39

It's gorgeous.

Wishfulmakeupping Mon 10-Mar-14 09:41:05

I love it such a good name and very underused

SirChenjin Mon 10-Mar-14 09:44:37

I like it - but please spell it Rafe, otherwise he will spend his entire life correctly spelling/pronunciation!

LJBanana Mon 10-Mar-14 09:45:32

Oooh I didn't realise it's spelt in different ways. I just watched 'One Day' last night and saw Rafe Spall in the credits,as you do when you've no names at this point read all the credits!! I think I would spell it Rafe as we have a surname which constantly gets Mis pronounced, so 2 names being Mis pronounced might become a bit much.
The 'posh' factor makes me think it might be a bit pretentious as this has always been my first thought. And we certainly aren't posh!!

Burren Mon 10-Mar-14 09:56:45

I don't think 'Rafe' has any posh connotations at all - certainly Rafe Spall isn't - it's 'Ralph-pronounced-Rafe' that does have UC associations, historically. Ralph Fiennes' full surname is Twisleton-Wykeham-Fiennes.

NigellasDealer Mon 10-Mar-14 10:32:33

Ralph Fiennes' full surname is Twisleton-Wykeham-Fiennes no it is not, I used to know his brother, those are some distant cousins i think

Mrswellyboot Mon 10-Mar-14 10:36:08

I love Ralph.

SavoyCabbage Mon 10-Mar-14 10:44:21

You can spell it Raef too.

NigellasDealer Mon 10-Mar-14 10:47:14

oops wrong sorry

GreenSpaghetti Mon 10-Mar-14 10:55:45

Rafe was our boys name, love it

FobblyWoof Mon 10-Mar-14 11:12:06

I like it and don't think it's pretentious at all.

Oddly enough it's Rafe Spall's birthday today (I was on IMDB before coming here!)

squoosh Mon 10-Mar-14 11:29:59

Nice when short for Raphael/Rafael

LJBanana Mon 10-Mar-14 12:25:51

I love Raphael, but that's for my next life when I'm married to a rich Italian.
I don't think I can get away with it, the mix of Lancashire/ Scousers sort of tinges the way it will be said some what. I am really liking Rafe however. I haven't had a name yet that I think I will be sad not to use if it's the opposite sex, and I think I feel like this about Rafe. Plus it must be fate that it's Rafe Spall's birthday-this obviously means I will go into labour immediately too!!

squoosh Mon 10-Mar-14 12:27:10

As long as your baby doesn't look like Rafe Spall!

Sorry Mr Spall if you're reading.

MichelloBarner Mon 10-Mar-14 12:30:30

I really like Rafe but I don't like Ralph at all, so if you have it make sure you spell it Rafe. I'm never quite sure whether Rafe is an alternative/posh pronunciation of Ralph, or a NN for it, like Jack is for John. But if in doubt just have Rafe.

LJBanana Mon 10-Mar-14 12:35:30

Yeah hopefully he won't look like the birthday boy, especially in last nights film!
This is my fear that it's a posh Ralph. I would spell it Rafe though. I've just been to the park with my other son and pretended in my head I was calling both names and how they sounded etc.

babysaville Mon 10-Mar-14 12:35:33

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

thegreylady Mon 10-Mar-14 13:04:21

I know a Raphael nn Raffa who is very gorgeous and not posh and a Ralph pronounced Ralf ditto. I think Rafe is lovely smile

LJBanana Mon 10-Mar-14 13:11:20

It's going on the list!
Well there is no list so it's the one and only contender. Now I need a 2 syllable middle name to balance out one syllable first and last names. I'm going to by pass Stirling, I think you feel so strongly about it, it would be unfair for me to take it!!

LJBanana Mon 10-Mar-14 13:17:11

It's going on the list!
Well there is no list so it's the one and only contender. Now I need a 2 syllable middle name to balance out one syllable first and last names. I'm going to by pass Stirling, I think you feel so strongly about it, it would be unfair for me to take it!!

claudiebelle Mon 10-Mar-14 19:29:38

I have a 4 month old Rafe. It's a great name!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now