Talk

Advanced search

boy name

(21 Posts)
nyldn Fri 07-Mar-14 14:40:48

hi! might get a lot of negative responses on this but want to hear them while we've still got timesmile

I have only ever wanted to name my boy Henry and husband has said absolutely not.

I've got a unisex name and am drawn to classic names because of it. DH has one of the most common names around and likes....unique names!

I thought to look at gaelic names as they can be quite unusual at times without sounding really trendy. we're thinking about Toren.

I really like it, but can't figure out if that's just because I'm desperate to find something after my beloved Henry was vetoed.

thoughts?

meditrina Fri 07-Mar-14 14:43:37

I've never come across Toren, but I like it.

Is ir somehow related to the god Thor?

CyberMuddle Fri 07-Mar-14 14:45:20

I've never heard of that name before; I actually quite like it.

Could you persuade your DH to keep Henry as a middle name? Or Harry?

MamaPain Fri 07-Mar-14 14:46:34

I really don't like Henry, but what's your husbands objection to it?

Toren is nice enough, sounds very Scandi to me, but can't see any obvious issues with it, easy to spell etc.

I know somebody called Taron which is also simple but not very common.

When are you due? If you aren't certain then why not try to put the names out of your mind for a bit until it's really necessary. I often became set on a name and then completely changed my mind nearer the due date or once I had the baby.

nyldn Fri 07-Mar-14 14:48:55

I believe it derives from torrence. I actually want to hold off and maybe wear him down and use Henry for possible DS2. I didn't think it was a name that was possible to hate, but he hates it. unfortunately, its a major family name for me, as well as a favourite book character. can't lie, heart was broken a bit! I've in turn vetoed his crazy suggestions.

Nataleejah Fri 07-Mar-14 14:55:03

Torin Oakenshield?

nyldn Fri 07-Mar-14 14:58:02

ha! I had to Google that, so not the reason behind it. though I don't mind a book reference, could certainly be worse. we just saw it and both liked it.

florascotia Fri 07-Mar-14 14:58:33

Torin (means chief) is nice. You can of course choose any spelling you prefer, but is more usually spelled with an 'i' not an 'e' (because its closer to the Gaelic spelling of 'chieftain').

There are lots of great Gaelic names for boys. Here's just one list, for example.

florascotia Fri 07-Mar-14 14:59:10

Sorry - posted too soon:
www.gaelicnames.co.uk/gaelic-boys-names.htm

MamaPain Fri 07-Mar-14 15:09:35

If you really like Henry I'd try to have it as a middle name. You aren't guaranteed a DS2. Also Toren and Henry sound a bit odd together maybe just because I hate Henry.

nyldn Fri 07-Mar-14 15:11:59

Haha, I get it, you hate Henry! wink. I think they don't sound right together either, so I wouldn't want to use it as a middle name. DH would probably say no anyway.

UriGeller Fri 07-Mar-14 15:12:32

If you've only ever wanted to call your boy baby Henry then you should stick yo your guns. Let DH have his own way with a middle name or two but I really think if you've always only ever wanted a Henry then you should have one.

UriGeller Fri 07-Mar-14 15:14:26

You see, you're the one doing all the work here! Its really unreasonable of him to veto the only name you love.

nyldn Fri 07-Mar-14 15:18:01

I agree! His ideas are nuts and I can't even take them seriously as suggestions. I'm holding out a bit of hope that in the throws of labour he'll cave grin

MamaPain Fri 07-Mar-14 15:23:30

Sorry, I am trying to not be too mean about it. My distaste is thinly veiled, apologies.

Although the idea you get preference is absurd. I know you have to do pregnancy and birth but why should your DH have to have his child named something that he hates? My DH was obsessed by the name Sam, I didn't like it and he didn't like the name I truly love for a girl so we compromised and went with something that we both liked.

We now have a dog named Sam...

nyldn Fri 07-Mar-14 15:34:51

oh dear. Mama, I'm not suggesting I get preference of choice, as evidenced by looking for a new name that we agree on.

BlueChampagne Fri 07-Mar-14 15:40:31

I like Torin, it would have been in the mix for my 2 DSs if I'd known about it then.

UriGeller Fri 07-Mar-14 16:13:03

Just keep saying it. Rub your bump and coo, "little Harry just hiccuped didn't you Harry?" grin

Unless he has some really really good reason to hate it, he'll come around.

Seminyak Fri 07-Mar-14 16:14:37

There was a Toren at my school (think it was spelled Toran?) <helpful>

nyldn Fri 07-Mar-14 16:16:36

his reason, I think, is that we're American, and generally Henry shortens to hank there, no harry. and he doesn't like Henry in full either. I agree on hank not being a wanted nn....

BlueChampagne Fri 07-Mar-14 21:45:05

You could work on Hal as a NN if you like it (very Shakespearean).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now