Talk

Advanced search

Can I have a Max Smith?

(31 Posts)
bassingtonffrench Fri 07-Mar-14 10:51:07

Or are there too many 'SSS' sounds in the middle?

We also like a number of other names with the same issue e.g. Lawrence Smith.

Obviously the sound flows better with the middle name but I know from experience that is not what is used a school, doctors etc...!

tammytoby Fri 07-Mar-14 10:54:53

Sounds like Mac Smith!

I prefer Lawrence Smith.

tammytoby Fri 07-Mar-14 10:56:02

Although that does sound Lauren Smith...!

How about
Reuben Smith
Quentin Smith
Henry Smith

I think it's ok. How about Maxim or Maxamillion if you're worried?

bassingtonffrench Fri 07-Mar-14 11:12:49

Problem is, we can't agree on that many names and we really like Max. I like those names tammy, but not enough to have any of them to be honest.

I'm already beginning to think of him as Max so I do need to resolve it one way or the other!

Maximillion would be a solution I suppose but it wouldn't be used and there might be spelling issues!

thanks for your thoughts

Spelling issues like mine! I've no idea why I spelt it like that. I think most people can spell it.

bassingtonffrench Fri 07-Mar-14 11:19:19

ha ha, sorry didn't meant to be a pedant!

singersgirl Fri 07-Mar-14 11:19:43

I wouldn't worry about it. Max is a much more common name than Mac, anyway, so people are more likely to assume it's Max than not, I would have thought. It's pretty easy to say too as they're both short names.

scarletforya Fri 07-Mar-14 11:21:07

Lawrence is really lovely. Max is kind of blah tbh!

JonathanGirl Fri 07-Mar-14 11:23:39

I know a Max Smith. It's fine! How much of your life is spent having your name and surname called out anyway? It doesn't matter if your name doesn't flow perfectly in these situations , it just has to be recognisable as your name. And it sounds fine, nothing wrong with it.

As long as there isn't a Mack Smith in the same class, it won't be an issue at all grin.

MrsMarigold Fri 07-Mar-14 11:25:00

Go for Max or Lawrie Smith.
Smith is a good surname - kind of neutral.

bassingtonffrench Fri 07-Mar-14 11:27:52

thanks for words of reassurance.

Lawrence is still a hot contender!

Other names we like are

Joseph
Luke

ShadowOfTheDay Fri 07-Mar-14 11:30:17

I know a Max Smith and a Luke Smith - Luke is from Liverpool though and hates his name as up there it sounds like people are shouting "look" when they say his name - so be aware of any local pronunciation...

Innogen Fri 07-Mar-14 13:29:36

Maxim? Really? Like the lads mag? confused

Mrsindecision Fri 07-Mar-14 13:49:57

Max Smith sounds absolutely fine IMO - I wouldn't give it a second thought. A good, sound name that will with serve him well through life!

Mrsindecision Fri 07-Mar-14 13:51:03

* with

bassingtonffrench Fri 07-Mar-14 13:55:09

Thanks.

Actually my first thought with Maxim, which i like, is the husband in Rebecca, not the lads mag!

LunchLadyWannabe Fri 07-Mar-14 13:58:18

I think anything goes with Smith to be honest

florascotia Fri 07-Mar-14 15:02:13

Max can be short for Maxwell, if that helps.

Glasshammer Sat 08-Mar-14 19:06:09

Max and Laurence are great with smith - dint worry

nooka Sat 08-Mar-14 19:18:12

I think that my only concern with a relatively common surname would be not to choose a similarly common first name (common as in used by many people). So I think that Laurence is better than Max as Max seems to me to be more popular. Plus I think that with a single syllable surname a longer first name works better.

I see what you mean about the names running together a bit, but I don't think it's a big enough issue to reject either name. Perhaps a middle name would break the names up a bit, and he could always add in an initial (we have a Paul W Smith at work for example)

Obviously the best Smith combo is John Smith grin

Ilovecake80 Sun 09-Mar-14 09:46:56

I think Max Smith doesn't roll very well of the tongue feels like you have to really think about it iyswim. Maxim Smith sounds a lot better as it breaks up In the middle. Maxim is a cool name also lovely for a boy and a man.

Frikadellen Sun 09-Mar-14 18:00:26

I think Luke Smith is FAR harder to say than Max Smith (say them both out loud)

Max is nice as is Laurence.

MamaDuckling Sun 09-Mar-14 19:13:17

We have a Maxwell, and while I always thought we'd automatically shorten to Max, we hardly ever do! He is Maxwell and it's lovely.

Maxim/Maxwell Smith are both solid, strong names IMO!

grin

Oblomov Sun 09-Mar-14 19:27:43

Love Max.
Ds2 is.
But I agree with others, with your surname, it seems a bit short, lacking in syllables, the whole name - Christian plus surname.
But it is ok, it's not bad.

However in RL the full name doesnt matter THAT much.
Liking the Christian name is most important. He will be called max. And you will spend your whole life calling 'max, Max , come here max'.

And he will be called it, his WHOLE life.

How often do you think I am called oblomov jones in RL. I am called oblomov all day, every day.

If you like the Christian name go with that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now