Talk

Advanced search

DH wants Michael for a boy. Help me learn to love it

(97 Posts)
cakegoblin Thu 06-Mar-14 22:00:51

Made a stupid bargain with DH that he gets to choose the boy's name if I get a girl's name I love approved. 30 weeks, don't know what we're having. Tonight he reveals his chosen boy's name and it's Michael after his dad.
His dad's ace and everything but I really have never even considered the name as an option, tbh I don't like it, and am trying to get used to the idea... It would be a lovely gesture though and really there's nothing wrong with it, apart from it not being to my taste.
What could it shorten to? Apart from Mick/Mickey. Mikey? Argh. Anyone really love it? Could you send me some positivity please?

AHardDaysWrite Thu 06-Mar-14 22:02:48

I love it. Classic and not too popular. I'd use Michael/Mikey and he'd probably want to be Mike when he's older.

JumpingJackSprat Thu 06-Mar-14 22:03:51

Tell him you've changed your mind and you will both compromise on names for both sexes. That way neither of you have to have the possibility of a name you don't like. You might have to give up on your girls name if he vetoes it.

PrincessOfChina Thu 06-Mar-14 22:04:14

Hhmm. Well. You've kinda made the commitment now.

I think Mikey could work. Or, you could give birth and suggest an alternative and say how about using Michael as a middle name?

aufaniae Thu 06-Mar-14 22:05:43

I agree with Jumpingjacksprat.

Have Michael as a middle name, but a name you both like as the first name.

Amandine29 Thu 06-Mar-14 22:06:05

Tell him the deal's off. Michael can be a middle name.

Kikithecat Thu 06-Mar-14 22:06:35

It's a really nice name and very underused these days.

MaryWestmacott Thu 06-Mar-14 22:06:59

Watch the godfather, it's a cool name.

Mikey or Mike. You'll get lots of "Mike the Knight" crap branded things. (Worth watching if you don't have DCs already, always am of the opinion that if there's a children's TV character with that name, you should watch the programme)

cottoncandy Thu 06-Mar-14 22:07:05

MY DH is a Michael and I call him Mikey. I really like it but wouldn't give a DS the same name as his dad. Agree that it's classic and not too popular!

scarletforya Thu 06-Mar-14 22:07:25

Yeah, say you'll have it as a middle name.

MaryWestmacott Thu 06-Mar-14 22:08:24

BTW - do you have any boys names you love, any other names your DH likes you can discuss, and what's your girls name you love? Personally, for something like this, I'd be tempted to pay for a private gender scan and decide if the deal is on or off based on if it's a boy or girl wink

kilmuir Thu 06-Mar-14 22:09:01

There is a Michael in my DS year 1 class.

Dovahkiin Thu 06-Mar-14 22:09:19

A YahooAnswers thread came up with Mitch and Miko (among others...) answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080629132723AA8Lmzf

BrennanHasAMangina Thu 06-Mar-14 22:09:53

Michael is an underused classic at the moment, I think. Mikey is adorable for a little boy and Michael/Mike a lovely name as he gets older. All the adult Mikes I know are good, kind, salt-of-the-earth types. What about some of the global variations of Michael? Michel, Mikhail, Miguel, Micah, Mika etc.?

SwedishEdith Thu 06-Mar-14 22:11:22

I like it. Mikey is quite cool for a lad and Mick is pretty good for an adult. I'd be more bothered about being named after his dad, for some illogical reason.

NigellasDealer Thu 06-Mar-14 22:11:59

Michael is a great name, one of my favourite people of all time is called that, ok he is 83 but it's classic isn't it?

Ludways Thu 06-Mar-14 22:12:38

I really like it, it's under used and somehow very blokey.

Sharaluck Thu 06-Mar-14 22:14:35

Milo

Hamsolo Thu 06-Mar-14 22:14:45

I think you could have Milo as a nn too.

BackforGood Thu 06-Mar-14 22:14:47

I think it's a lovely name - real 'classic' that comes up in every generation without ever being inundated with them.
Mike
Mikey
Mick
Micky
Michael itself. Nick names tend to work themselves out I think, it's not something you can really plan.

Hamsolo Thu 06-Mar-14 22:15:06

Ha. Snap!

MillyONaire Thu 06-Mar-14 22:26:03

I know a few Mikey's and think it's a lovely name (they are all lovely boys) My friend was given Michael as a second name but chose to use it as his first from his teens - it's quite a dignified adult name and then Mikey's a cuter version to get through the younger years!

cakegoblin Thu 06-Mar-14 22:27:28

Thank you everyone, I already feel better about it after your nice comments. Think I worded it badly - the name is after my father in law, DH's dad so potential boy-baby's grandad. MaryWestmacott - very clever! But I would be seriously worried about my relationship if I had to resort to those tactics!
There aren't really any other names we both agree on, I have short lists for both but he's kind of refusing to make his own suggestions, just slating mine. I realise now that this is because he has really wanted this name all along and hasn't wanted to say as he probably knew I'd dislike it, so am giving it a fair shot to see if I get used to it. Rather this was all agreed before baby arrives!

MillyONaire Thu 06-Mar-14 22:28:02

oooh: Misha - I was told this was a russian (I think) nn for Mikhail (or whatever the russian version of Michael is)

everythinghippie29 Thu 06-Mar-14 22:34:42

Lots of Mike's in my family, so I like it!

My friend named her little boy Mikey and it is just adorable on a little baby boy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now