Talk

Advanced search

Will he get teased if we give him these names?

(31 Posts)
StarsInTheNightSky Tue 04-Mar-14 20:05:19

I'm 27 weeks pregnant (DS at very high risk of being premature though for various reasons) and after a lot of discussion DH and I have finally agreed on a name for our little chap.

Jasper Alec

Our surname begins with an 'A' and his first name is definitely going to be Jasper. We struggled with finding a middle name, but eventually settled on Alec which we both love. Jasper and Alec are both names from mine and DH's families which we though was nice too.

Today, when we told my teenage niece about our name choice, she straight away piped up with "oooh, like from Twilight!" She is a big Twilight fan (DH and I are not) so I googled it and found that both names were used in the Twilight books hmm. This has made us very worried that he wil get teased, and we're thinking about a different middle name, but don't want to change it without cause as we love Alec. We will not be changing Jasper by the way.

My question is, how many of you would make that connection? Do you think it's something we should be worried about or are we overthinking it?

Thanks in advance.

SantanaLopez Tue 04-Mar-14 20:06:53

I think it's a fad, by the time your wee one is old enough, none of his peers will have a clue.

sparklesandfizz Tue 04-Mar-14 20:08:35

Twilight will be over and done with by the time your boy is at primary don't worry. Lovely names go for it,

MrsBennetsEldest Tue 04-Mar-14 20:09:42

I love the name Jasper, I thought of Jasper Tudor. Brilliant Name.

Alec is great too.

Your overthinking it a bit.

I hope all goes well with your little fella.

Burren Tue 04-Mar-14 20:09:50

I think teenagers who think it's kinda romantic to have to choose between a vampire and a werewolf shouldn't be listened to for a moment on naming issues. It's not as if you were naming your son Edward Cullen Vampire Smith or something. Don't give it another thought.

Elllimam Tue 04-Mar-14 20:10:32

I have read the twilight books (not terribly keen) and neither Jasper or Alec would make me think twilight, they are not like Edward or Bella (or Renesmee urg)

FabBakerGirl Tue 04-Mar-14 20:12:13

The only thing you should think about when naming your child is do I love the name? Jasper is awesome. Middle names are rarely used and anyway, these names were in the family long before the Twlight shite was written!

StarsInTheNightSky Tue 04-Mar-14 20:12:41

Thank you all so much for your replies and lovely comments! That's a relief, I was hoping I was overthinking it, but pregnancy paranoia got the better of me grin

SavoyCabbage Tue 04-Mar-14 20:24:22

I agree with Burren. And your baby will not be moving in the teenage circles.

I've never read/seen twilight so I wouldn't know any thing about it if I met your baby.

We changed out dd2's name as a B list celeb used it about a month before we did and I wish I hadn't now. Nobody knows it really. We should have just stuck to the name we wanted.

MrsSpencerReid Tue 04-Mar-14 20:28:16

I have a 'twilight' son, I can't remember people mentioning the connection, we nearly named dc2 another twilight name but realised in time!! The names were both main characters so we wouldn't have got away with it!! Jasper is a lovely name smile (I can't remember the character called Alec tho...)

Xfirefly Tue 04-Mar-14 20:33:34

I've read/watched twilight and when I read the name I didn't think twilight.

BEEwitched Tue 04-Mar-14 20:51:44

I like Jasper, liked it before I read Twilight, still like it, and people who know me know how I feel about Twilight so would know that's NOT where it's from :D - I wouldn't worry about it!

Edgarallan Tue 04-Mar-14 20:59:31

Love jasper x

Shmack Tue 04-Mar-14 21:21:00

Hope not I have a Jasper Alexander we did eventually make the twilight connection (thanks toa die hard fan at work) but no one else did so just carried on regardless
And it's an awesome name!!!!

FabBakerGirl Tue 04-Mar-14 21:27:54

My DD is not impressed we didn't call her Lady Voldermore hmmgrin.

ruth1104 Tue 04-Mar-14 21:43:29

Lovely names, Twilight is a fad and it'll pass. Stick to your guns!

DramaAlpaca Tue 04-Mar-14 21:47:22

I think it's a lovely name.

The Twilight association was completely lost on me.

pinkgirlythoughts Wed 05-Mar-14 17:50:25

I actually have a friend who has a daughter named Bella Esmae- she's a big Twilight fan, so it was probably deliberate, but I certainly didn't make the connection until it was pointed out to me! If Jasper and Alec are more minor characters, then I don't think it's worth worrying about.

LePetitPont Wed 05-Mar-14 19:44:35

Great name! Have read all the twilight books and kind of remember jasper (hot vampire?) but really can't recall an Alec.

Sure it's not a name he'd be teased over.

Alisvolatpropiis Wed 05-Mar-14 19:45:06

No.

Jasper is older than twilight. As is Alec.

Suggest to anyone who says "oh like twilight" reads more books. Including your neice.

toobreathless Wed 05-Mar-14 19:52:25

Lovely name, I didn't twig the twilight thing. Go for it!

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Wed 05-Mar-14 20:06:12

I didn't think of Twilight either - the only Jasper that springs to mind is Jasper Tudor grin.

No, my only reservation would be whether Alec flows well enough with your A surname. If it does then all is well grin.

Lovely names. Congratulations - I hope little Jasper holds on as long as possible before making his appearance.

Ilikepinkwine Wed 05-Mar-14 20:08:49

Most people wouldn't notice the Twilight thing, I didn't at first and I'm a big fan. (I do read more books)

Apart from the stupid name Bella and Edward gave their baby (Renesmee) all of the other names in the Twilight Saga are very traditional, classic and timeless, so I really wouldn't worry.

smile

SweetPea86 Wed 05-Mar-14 20:55:29

I love jasper lovely name

elotrolado Wed 05-Mar-14 21:22:54

I wouldn't have a clue and i've loosely watched Twilight.

Nice names.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now