Talk

Advanced search

Is it more common than I thought?

(38 Posts)
Writerwannabe83 Tue 04-Mar-14 08:49:50

Me and DH are having our first baby in 2 weeks, a little boy, and after 15 weeks of deliberation a name has been decided upon. My DH picked the name as it's something he really likes and to be honest I haven't felt particularly strongly about any name. I do really like the name and one of the reasons DH was so keen was because he didn't think it was particularly common but nor is it weird or too 'out there'.

We have decided upon Arran.

However, over the last 2 weeks I have had about 4-5 women say to me, "Oh so-and-so called her baby that a few months ago....." Everyone suddenly seems to know a baby or young infant called Arran (or however the parents chose to spell it).

I wouldn't say it's put me off the name but I'm still a little hmm

Is it actually quite common??

DrankSangriaInThePark Tue 04-Mar-14 08:51:04

Do they think you are saying Aaron?

Or Aron?

Orangeisthenewbanana Tue 04-Mar-14 09:11:43

I know one Arran and one Aaron, both coming up to 2. They are from 2 entirely different groups of friends and live at opposite ends of the country. Have not come across either name in any of the various baby groups over the last year I've been taking DD so I don't think it's all that common (as opposed to the hundreds of Olivers, Alfies, Sophies and Isabels we've run into!)

florascotia Tue 04-Mar-14 09:13:19

For 2012

Aaron is in the top 100 in England (around 69)

Arran is in the top 100 in Scotland (around 70)

Writerwannabe83 Tue 04-Mar-14 09:21:17

sangria - well when the people respond to me they pronounce it the same way I did so I assume the parent's pronunciation of the name is the same as the one me and DH are planning.

flora - thanks for those numbers, I can live with numbers 69-70 smile

We haven't told anyone in our family yet (we made the mistake of telling them early on what our planned girls name was) as we're aware that when baby pops out we may change our mind anyway smile

DrankSangriaInThePark Tue 04-Mar-14 09:23:20

Oh right. Dunno then. I wouldn't have thought any of the 3 were particularly over-used tbh. I know one Aaron who is about 18 and one Aron who is 10 and I think from an Iranian family.

florascotia Tue 04-Mar-14 09:25:26

Forgot to add, for anyone interested in which names are rising and falling most quickly among the Top 100, here is an article, with facts and figures:

www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2013/aug/12/top-100-baby-names-2012-girls-boys-list

WowserBowser Tue 04-Mar-14 09:26:25

I don't know any. I know an older Aaron pronounced A-ron ish.

Raxacoricofallapatorius Tue 04-Mar-14 09:28:38

I know two Aarons under 5. Both pronounced 'Arran' so it's possible they're hearing 'Aaron' iyswim.

squoosh Tue 04-Mar-14 10:29:45

To me Arran and Aaron sound the same.

Highlandbird Tue 04-Mar-14 10:31:50

Arran fairly popular in Scotland, like Lewis, Harris, Iona etc Island names are popular. Wouldn't have thought it was that popular south of the border though?

bakingtins Tue 04-Mar-14 10:49:44

I know one Arran and one Aaron pronounced similarly (not Air-ron) but I don't think you will be tripping over them.

Theonlyoneiknow Tue 04-Mar-14 10:50:42

I only know one, and am in Scotland

Writerwannabe83 Tue 04-Mar-14 11:00:08

DH can't stand the pronunciation Air-Ron so I'm hoping people don't mispronounce Arran, which we want to rhyme with 'Barren'.

highland - I'm definitely South of your border smile

Highlandbird Tue 04-Mar-14 12:03:22

wink
I say go for it, it's a lovely name!

Only1scoop Tue 04-Mar-14 12:09:41

I know two Aaron's pronounced < rhyme with Baron> both In twenties though, not heard of any for a while and definately none at dd nursery.

Only two weeks Writer ....how exciting .... Good luck grin

Writerwannabe83 Tue 04-Mar-14 12:26:00

Thanks scoop - I'm getting very excited!!
Nervous and overwhelmed, but still excited smile

mumbaisapphirebluespruce Tue 04-Mar-14 13:22:00

The only Aaron I know (and that's how he spelt it) is in his 30s. Not come across any baby ones. Go for it.

Kasey12 Tue 04-Mar-14 13:48:21

I have an Arran! We really struggled with boy names. We wanted a Scottish name ( we are in Scotland ). It does get mis spelt quite a bit as Aaron. Which strangely enough I didn't think about! I love the name, but it seems my friends south of the border that found it more unusual. Sometimes I wish I'd played it safer and chose a more common name like Lewis. However it does have meaning for us as Argyll is where DP is from, and it really suits our DS. Its a lovely name x

tumbletumble Tue 04-Mar-14 13:50:39

I would pronounce both Aaron and Arran to rhyme with Barren.

kentishgirl Tue 04-Mar-14 15:01:22

I pronounce Arron and Aaron completely differently (the first has a as in hat, and the second has a as in hair).

Are you going to spell it Arran though? I know it can be spelled either way but that makes me think of the Scottish Island.

Writerwannabe83 Tue 04-Mar-14 15:14:34

It will be spelt as Arran - purely in the hope of people not pronouncing it Air-ron grin Fingers crossed!!!

I didn't even know there was a Scottish Island called Arran smile

squoosh Tue 04-Mar-14 15:17:57

How could you not have known about the island, didn't you google the name?

mrsbug Tue 04-Mar-14 15:25:35

I know two baby Aarons, both pronounced arran.

Writerwannabe83 Tue 04-Mar-14 15:31:38

No squoosh - are we supposed to google names?? lol grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now