Talk

Advanced search

Amelie-Grace, Elsie-May & Gracie-May?

(118 Posts)
haleyalannahxo Sun 02-Mar-14 17:59:31

Normally I don't like hyphenated names at all, but these few are really growing on me. My style tends to be more like, vintage/cutesy, so the cutesy bit doesn't bother me.

For middle names, I would probably use:

Amelie-Grace Louisa
Gracie-May Isabella (or Isabelle)
Elsie-May Kathleen

What names would you use as middle names for Amelie-Grace, Elsie-May and Gracie-May? Which of those three do you like the best?

Thank you smile x

BetterWithCheese Sun 02-Mar-14 18:03:38

I think Kathleen is the best of the middle names as there are already syllables is the first names. I'm not a huge fan of hyphenated names generally but Gracie-May is quite sweet. I'd probably go with Grace May Surname and call her Gracie-May.

fideline Sun 02-Mar-14 18:05:52

Don't let them grow on you then! Unless you are from Alabama smile

haleyalannahxo Sun 02-Mar-14 18:13:48

fideline, I'm not from Alabama, I'm from Canada with extremely British roots haha. :p x

The Grace May idea is nice, but I feel like they're too plain :/

fideline Sun 02-Mar-14 18:19:19

Aha. Might well work better in a Canadian context/accent. I never think it sounds right in a British one.

Ilovewaleswhenitrains Sun 02-Mar-14 18:21:27

There are a lot of. .....-May/Mai names around at the moment. It's not a combination I like.

Hulababy Sun 02-Mar-14 18:22:37

I prefer them all without the hyphon, as a first and middle name.

Only1scoop Sun 02-Mar-14 18:25:25

Dropping the hyphens and all names are ok.
A hyphenated name with a middle name sounds a bit 'name Fest'

haleyalannahxo Sun 02-Mar-14 18:25:31

It might do, haha. I know my naming tastes are definitely more English than North American :P Here Logan is actually used quite a bit on girls, and I actually know little kids named Drummer, it's bad haha.

CrispyCrochet Sun 02-Mar-14 18:35:41

Fideline, I'm from Alabama. grin

No but seriously I am.

I like Elsie May & agree with PP that maybe you could just leave out the - but call them the double name. I feel like it gives you more choices.

haleyalannahxo Sun 02-Mar-14 18:39:04

would Elsie May age well?

EirikurNoromaour Sun 02-Mar-14 18:44:03

Oh my god just don't. I can't even be arsed to be diplomatic. They are ugly, naff, childish and totally, totally dated. You are naming an adult woman, not a style accessory, a kitten or a doll. Fuck the hyphen, and fuck the need to add 'ie' to every fucking girl's name.

manicinsomniac Sun 02-Mar-14 18:44:39

hyphenated names never make it onto the US lists (haven't seen any Canadian ones), they seem to be a British thing.

I think Amelie-Grace is the nicest.

Bunbaker Sun 02-Mar-14 18:46:28

I agree with the general consensus here. At risk of a flaming, hyphenated names and especially hyphenated names with May/Mae/Mai are very TOWIE.

Don't do it.

SpinningFates Sun 02-Mar-14 18:48:00

I don't like any of the names. Please don't lumber any poor child with them. sad

fideline Sun 02-Mar-14 18:51:23

How about Elspeth? or Emmeline?

haleyalannahxo Sun 02-Mar-14 19:15:10

EirikurNoromaour - is swearing really necessary here? All I did was ask a question. Didn't think your opinion required using f*ck three times. Elsie works on an adult, as does Amelie? Amelie is the French version of Amelia. They're dated because, as I said, my style is vintage. Ie; I love old lady names.

Thank you everyone, I won't do it. I was just contemplating it.

EirikurNoromaour Sun 02-Mar-14 19:24:45

Is swearing ever really necessary? Not really. I feel strongly about this.
Elsie is fine on an adult, though not my style. Likewise Amelie. Gracie as a given name is not

MolotovCocktail Sun 02-Mar-14 19:27:05

haley, I'd guess that 99% os respondents on Baby Names hate hyphenated names. You tend to find 'name geeks' on here and the views expressed are not necessarily representative of those you'll find IRL.

Certain views are better left inside people's heads, anyway (I know, snippy ones, the OP asked for your opinions, but rudeness is not needed).

MolotovCocktail Sun 02-Mar-14 19:28:49

Amelie-Grace and Gracie-May are just beautiful IMHO smile Really pretty, vintage sounding names.

Fuck what anyone else thinks, anyway. She is your baby. Give her a name you love.

JohnnyUtah Sun 02-Mar-14 19:28:54

YOUR style may be vintage, but what about hers? Don't lumber her with one of these monstrosities, please. At the very least take out the hyphen.

WalterandWinifred Sun 02-Mar-14 19:29:31

My 101 year old Aunt's name is Elsie May. She absolutely detests it (though I quite like it) but I had to laugh at the question 'will it age well?' I bet that's what her parents asked themselves 101 years ago...

haleyalannahxo Sun 02-Mar-14 19:30:23

I find it incredibly rude that you would swear at me over it. I never even asked you whether or not they were too cutesy. If you dislike them, don't respond?

Chottie Sun 02-Mar-14 19:32:30

Please think twice before using any of these names - sorry sad

haleyalannahxo Sun 02-Mar-14 19:33:33

MolotovCocktail - I'm actually quite the name geek myself, but I've never even DREAMT of swearing at someone over the names they like haha. Thank you :-)

WalterandWinifred - That's how I feel with a ton of names, (Lottie, Elsie, Lettie, Edie, etc), but, various name forums have basically shown me that anything that could be a diminutive needs to be asked about. It's silly really. I'm sure there are grown up Minnie's and Maisie's out there who are doing just fine. Actually, one of the most famous Canadians was just Nellie.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now