Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Nickname for Elodie?

(35 Posts)
MogwaiTheGremlin Sat 01-Mar-14 16:54:47

Expecting dc2 in July and have been browsing the baby names threads and completely fallen in love with Elodie. Dh not keen but I really want to persuade him so need a lovely nn to help my case!
The only name we both like is Lara but we already have a Leo so I think that's a no go?
Help me please!
thanks

CointreauVersial Sat 01-Mar-14 16:57:51

Why on earth would you mess with a beautiful name by using a nickname? Elodie is lovely as it is.

I know two Elodies, and they both use their name in full.

(I love Leo btw, and it would have been DD2's name if she'd been DS2)

MogwaiTheGremlin Sat 01-Mar-14 16:59:15

I wouldn't but I guess eventually people will shorten it? Eleeeey? Yuk!

ouryve Sat 01-Mar-14 17:03:24

What's wrong with Lara and Leo? It's a lovely pair of names, together.

I never go in for choosing nicknames before a baby is born. Apart from seeming a bit contrived, I believe a nickname is something that should grow organically out of a baby's personality. The only exceptions I can think of are where there is an accepted diminutive, eg you want to call you son Johnnie, but think just plain John would be better on his birth certificate.

MogwaiTheGremlin Sat 01-Mar-14 17:07:55

I thought the same initial for siblings was a no go? If not then we may revert to Lara!
You're right re: nicknames, I think I meant 'diminutive' blush as I've not heard Elodie before so didn't know what, if anything, it gets shortened to.

ilovepowerhoop Sat 01-Mar-14 17:11:23

Both mine start with the same initial - Emma and Ewan
Me and 2 of my brothers all had names with the same first initial too

I have never chosen a name and a nickname to go with it. Strange concept.

perplexedpirate Sat 01-Mar-14 17:12:43

Elodie is beautiful.
Nicer than Lara IMO.

gunwalloe Sat 01-Mar-14 17:13:20

My daughters best friend is a Elodie we either call her by her full name or Ellie or Elle

MogwaiTheGremlin Sat 01-Mar-14 17:14:38

Nooooo if she ends up being 'Ellie' that's the name of my sisters totally delinquent dog!!

BikeRunSki Sat 01-Mar-14 17:16:19

Ellie
Elle
Lola
Deedee

ilovepowerhoop Sat 01-Mar-14 17:18:31

I know an Eleri

ikeaismylocal Sat 01-Mar-14 17:30:00

How old is your older dc? It's possible he will give her his own nn if he struggles to say the full name.

Lee-lee
Dee-Dee
Ellie

Could be possibles.

SS3J Sat 01-Mar-14 17:44:12

Leo and Lara are fine. Go for Lara if that is your favourite. Fwiw my dcs are going to have the same initial. Elodie might not get shortened but if it does will probably be Ellie or Ells. At a push you might get Lola or Lolo.

SanityClause Sat 01-Mar-14 17:53:14

Lara is DD2's middle name.

I love it!

SanityClause Sat 01-Mar-14 17:58:12

Lola is pretty, as is Dee, or Dee-Dee. I think you'd have to be quite determined to stop her being called Ellie, though.

DD1 has a name which is often shortened in a way she is not keen on. She often has to pull people up in it, if they call her that. The other point is, she might like it, and might end up being Ellie, and you will just have to lump it!

MogwaiTheGremlin Sat 01-Mar-14 19:19:43

Ds will be exactly 2 when he/she arrives so yes he might give her a (cute) babyish nn. If she did decide to go with Ellie then she'll just have to get used to being yelled at grin as the dog will be around for awhile!

FrancesGlass Sat 01-Mar-14 19:23:58

Didi (pronounced Dee-dee) would be quite cute - especially being shouted from a 2 year old's mouth!

ouryve Sat 01-Mar-14 19:25:04

Mine both start with O, mogwai

Had they both been girls, they'd both start with I!

KatherinaMinola Sat 01-Mar-14 19:26:55

Go for Lara - it's lovely. Elodie is having a bit of a moment - might be one of those names that dates.

hatebeak Sat 01-Mar-14 19:32:42

Agree - Elodie is going to be very 2014 (or a few years either side). Lara much nicer.

MogwaiTheGremlin Sun 02-Mar-14 12:58:07

Maybe we can have Lara Elodie (greedy!)

Newgoldheelsrock Fri 07-Mar-14 06:51:51

I don't know, I love Elodie and it's on my shortlist...and I love the nn Eddie :-)

tertle Fri 07-Mar-14 08:36:36

I know quite a few Elodies. The only shortened version I have ever heard is 'Elo'.

Summerfruit Fri 07-Mar-14 08:38:52

My Elodie is nicknamed Lolode !

winterhat Fri 07-Mar-14 10:17:39

Leo and Lara would be nice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now