Talk

Advanced search

Think we're nearly there with names, but would like second opinions

(12 Posts)
mummeeee Sat 01-Mar-14 09:08:42

I am 35 weeks pg with dc3. We don't know whether it is a boy or a girl.

Dd has simple name I am very happy with. Not unusual but only one in her class. Goes very well with our surname (which is quite common, 2 syllables, like Thompson as an example)

Ds has more common name (lots of boys called that at the moment, will probably be 2 or more in his class) but we found it difficult to choose one we liked and this has the benefit of being a family name (dh's dad, grandad etc)

So for dc3 I have

Girl - Miriam (nickname Mim) which I am very happy with. Not sure about middle name. I like Margaret, but not sure if Miriam Margaret is too much of a mouthful. Ruth but not sure if Miriam Ruth + surname sounds toooo biblical. Or Jane.

Boy - Samuel James (probably nickname Sam)
Or maybe Benjamin (nn Ben) but I know of several Ben's amongst friends children (not close friends) but still feels a bit too much like I might feel awkward.
For boys I also like Thomas and Robert, but both Dh and I have big families, lots of siblings and we both have siblings with these names, so we've ruled them out.

So can anyone tell me what they think re my middle names to go with Miriam and also suggest any other good boys' names?

Thanks

notadoctor Sat 01-Mar-14 10:28:49

I really like Miriam Ruth. How about Miriam Rose? Miriam Jean? Miriam Grace?

I like Benjamin and Thomas. How about Daniel or Adam? I think they're classic, strong names but you don't meet loads of them.

Dovahkiin Sat 01-Mar-14 10:33:29

Miriam Alexandra

Nocomet Sat 01-Mar-14 10:51:41

Miriam Ruth
Sam, Ben or Thomas

If I'd had a DS he might well have been James Thomas (my GF was Thomas and James is a common second name on both sides)

However I'm blessed with 2 DDs who will never be the only ones in the class.

LePetitPont Sat 01-Mar-14 11:07:25

Miriam Meg if Margaret is a bit of a mouthful? Miriam Kate?

I second James as a good option. William? Matthew?

Sundaedelight Sat 01-Mar-14 14:56:32

Miriam Noelle

Miriam Elsa

Miriam Judith

Miriam Louise

Pregnantberry Sat 01-Mar-14 15:41:04

Edward, William, Oliver, Alexander, Luke, Joshua, David, Elliot(t), Cameron?
Benjamin is nice!

You should go through all of your female family members (apart from any you don't like wink) and test them all next to Miriam if you like the idea of a family name - then post the nicest ones here. Other family names to consider could be your/your mums/MIL's maiden names if appropriate. Also, could there be any place names/flowers/other noun names which are of sentimental significance to you?

Miriam is also nice! It's pretty and I haven't heard it in a long time so it's unique, but at the same time it isn't trying to be all 'granny chic' IYSWIM.

haleyalannahxo Sat 01-Mar-14 16:01:09

Miriam Jane is beautiful and so is Samuel James!

For boys, how about:

Louis, Henry, Archie, Walter, Matthew, Theodore, Andrew, Adam, Nicholas, Joel, Elliott, Simon, Harrison, Luke, Ethan, George, Joshua,

squoosh Sat 01-Mar-14 16:49:45

Mim is very sweet.

I prefer Sam to Ben, Ben is a bit little boyish,

mummeeee Sun 02-Mar-14 22:06:37

Oo oooh, thank you all. Only just now getting back to this thread.

Had a manic weekend (gone a bit nesting mad - half our furniture has moved rooms and have had a massive toy sort out!) so only just back on MN

Will look & read names properly in the morning, but thank you.

Ruprekt Sun 02-Mar-14 22:09:33

Miriam Ruth is very Biblical.....

Miriam Elizabeth

Miriam Grace

Miriam Louisa Rose

Theo James

Rufus Alexander

Finlay Robert James

Cuxibamba Sun 02-Mar-14 23:01:59

I really love Miriam Ruth, it flows beautifully imo.

I don't really like Samuel if I'm honest, although love the nickname Sam. I love Benjamin and all the nickname options it offers, and Benjamin James sounds great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now