Talk

Advanced search

Leni

(7 Posts)
longtalllady Thu 27-Feb-14 10:45:19

I notice some people are mixing Lenny and Leni up. Two totally different pronunciations - Leni rhymes with rainy. The German film maker, Leni Riefenstahl, may have been involved with making films used by Hitler but that's no reason to dislike a name - after all, look at Germany as a whole during those years - may as well go off all German names. Leni is my name, and I consider it really ignorant when people mispronounce it as Lenny - a name I truly hate - especially when they've been told how to pronounce it.

squoosh Thu 27-Feb-14 10:57:11

Do you feel better for getting that off your chest?

Onesleeptillwembley Thu 27-Feb-14 11:03:32

I like kittens.

bebopanddoowop Thu 27-Feb-14 11:04:49

To be honest if I read that name I would have thought it was an alternative spelling to Lenny because I have never heard of it before. I live in UK and it's not a name I've come across. I think it's a really nice name though - I know of someone with it pronounced the same way but is their surname and spelt Lainey I think, or perhaps Laney, I've never had the need to write it.

I can imagine it's frustrating people mispronouncing your name but I think you are being over sensitive - once you've corrected them I'm sure they don't KEEP calling you Lenny, do they? It's just a simple mistake - we can't all be expected to have heard of every name across the world.

TheScience Thu 27-Feb-14 11:06:01

I think Leni is a lovely name, but it's not massively surprising that a name from one country is mispronounced in another when the languages have different vowel sounds.

squoosh Thu 27-Feb-14 11:08:14

I know it's pronounced Lainey because of the Riefenstahl connection, she is the most famous Leni so unsurprising most non Germans associate it with her.

bouquetofpencils Thu 27-Feb-14 17:52:38

I read it as Lee ni. Sorry!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now