Talk

Advanced search

everyone hates our name!!! :-(

(94 Posts)
MrsRV Sun 23-Feb-14 19:30:30

it's Ariane... I didn't think it was so offensive but everyone hates it, especially shortened to Ari. I know I shouldn't care but can't help it!! :-(

ThursdayLast Sun 23-Feb-14 19:31:50

I think it's pretty. And original too. What does it mean?
PS - fuck 'em, she's your baby after all

GummiBear74 Sun 23-Feb-14 19:32:05

I like it! It's very pretty.

verdiletta Sun 23-Feb-14 19:32:34

I think it's very pretty. It's a shame to shorten it actually, although Ari is nice as well. I wouldn't have thought people would hate it, very strange!

MuttonCadet Sun 23-Feb-14 19:32:45

How is it pronounced?

I don't hate it, I just don't recognise it.

If you love it then that's what counts. (Ari is a great NN btw)

Graceparkhill Sun 23-Feb-14 19:32:57

It's a lovely name. Use it with pride I say.

Wishfulmakeupping Sun 23-Feb-14 19:33:44

Is the baby here? Normally people are rude beforehand but not after baby is born- my dsis told me one of my name choices for bump was awful really ugly but I love it so dd was called my name choice I don't care what dsis thinks not everyone will have the same taste as you as long as you and your partner love it and you think it suits the baby stuff everyone's opinions

Butterbarleyscotch Sun 23-Feb-14 19:33:56

Not offensive and lovely name, was on the Olympic baby name thread if I remember

mummylin2495 Sun 23-Feb-14 19:34:31

I love the name if you like it don't worry what others say

namechange74 Sun 23-Feb-14 19:34:37

Beautiful! stick to your guns!

DoItTooJulia Sun 23-Feb-14 19:34:40

How rude of people to actually tell you!

You need to ignore and be confident in your choice. Soon enough they will forget any fuss and she will just be Ariane.

Congratulations on your new baby!

Beamur Sun 23-Feb-14 19:35:13

VV rude of other people to say so.
If you like it, then go for it.
It's unusual but in no way horrible!
(French space rocket?)

cuggles Sun 23-Feb-14 19:35:28

I think it is lovely as Ariane but I would think if you called her Ari in my presence that you meant Hari (for Harriet) and had dropped your H which I wouldnt like! Ariane itself...a pretty name I think..who hates it? Also..dont worry, most people who don't like a name finds it grows on them when they like/love the child! A few people since I had my dd1 have told me they weren't sure initially but now love it, they weren't rude enough to outright tell me they didn't like it when I was set on it in pregnancy!

SoftSheen Sun 23-Feb-14 19:35:34

Ariane is a lovely name.

holmessweetholmes Sun 23-Feb-14 19:35:48

How could anyone hate that? It's a lovely name! And just unusual enough, without being too 'out there'.

andadietcoke Sun 23-Feb-14 19:35:56

I love it. I know an Arianne. I think it's really pretty and delicate.

HyvaPaiva Sun 23-Feb-14 19:36:31

It's lovely!

AGoodPirate Sun 23-Feb-14 19:37:20

It's perfectly nice. Ignore the rude people!

caketinrosie Sun 23-Feb-14 19:37:42

It's lovely and unusual and your choice! So fuck em! grin

cuggles Sun 23-Feb-14 19:38:09

Mind you, going back to the Ari bit....I was totally set on not shortening my dd name as it sounded awful (I thought)..I call her by it all the time now and love it! Anyone who knows her, I think Ari is great, quite cool, my comment is only for those that don't initally know her full name!

cuggles Sun 23-Feb-14 19:39:07

andadietcoke...I nearly wrote 'delicate' too...exactly right!

MirandaGoshawk Sun 23-Feb-14 19:39:17

It's a lovely name. I don't know why people would hate it, unless they hate classic, pretty names in general - the kind of people who would call their DD names like Bailey and whatever monstrosities Stella McCartney has inflicted on her dch.

Sometimes people say things to dent your happiness. I remember someone coming to our new house, shaking her head & saying "Such a shame that they put that radiator there, and not over there." Who are these people anyway? Not real friends.

killpeppa Sun 23-Feb-14 19:39:40

ariane! its such a gorgeous namesmile ignore the comments!

when I told people the name of my Ds1 late in pregnancy a friend of mine told me it was 'very catholic' & that I should pick a different one- thats belfast for you folksenvy

BikeRunSki Sun 23-Feb-14 19:40:48

Is it you who posted before about calling a child Ariane after the ship your father served on? It's not a bad name, just unfamiliar to many. I love names with a reason connected to personal history (if it was you with the ship thread).

MrsRV Sun 23-Feb-14 19:42:23

thanks all, I think it means holy one, my grandma says its a really old name. I've only ever heard of one & she was beautiful.

Harry with the H dropped is a popular comment.

only 29 weeks so still a while to go but this is the only name that hubs & I have actually thought could be the one. and DD sounds adorable saying it!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now