Talk

Advanced search

Name alliteration- what d'you think?

(19 Posts)
mysaladdays Sun 23-Feb-14 16:23:06

We really like a certain first name and it's practically the only one we agree on. The only thing is how it goes with our last name. Think Clarice Clarke- not those names, but similar in that the first two letters are the same and pronounced the same way.

I know that some really like names that alliterate and some don't, but what do you of names where the match is quite strong like this?

MarvellousMechanicalMouseOrgan Sun 23-Feb-14 16:29:11

It depends on how easy it is to say, Clarice Clarke is much more of a mouthful than Bridget Brierley.

ToffeeJungle Sun 23-Feb-14 16:30:32

I personally wouldn't. Like you say some alliteration doesn't sound too bad - I know of a Jackie Jones for example which you can get away with (even though I wouldn't even go for that as I don't like alliteration at all) but Clarice Clarke is way too similar for me.

Floggingmolly Sun 23-Feb-14 16:32:00

Sounds too much like a character from the Bunty.

gilliangoof Sun 23-Feb-14 16:45:50

I like a bit of alliteration - names like billy bunter.

soontobeslendergirl Sun 23-Feb-14 19:41:25

Both my son's "sort of" alliterate - think similar to Chris McKendrick, I like it obviously as we've done it twice smile

Interestingly, at school there is one other child with my eldest's name - he is also a McK.. and 2 others with my youngest's name and they are a McK.. and a MacK... so they have gone for the same sound so we are not alone.

Millysdream Sun 23-Feb-14 21:39:33

Love alliterative names! I had one before I got married!

mysaladdays Sun 23-Feb-14 22:21:38

Hmmmm......difficult this name choosing lark! Don't want to regret not using the name, but don't want people laughing either smile !

flowerygirl Mon 24-Feb-14 10:53:42

I think go for it, I know plenty of people with alliteration names smile I'm trying to think of actors with double letters but my mind's gone blank. ..Sylvester Stallone! Trying to think of someone cooler [grim]

CarryOnDancing Mon 24-Feb-14 12:49:50

I love name alliteration. I'm just gutted we don't like a name with an S to go with our surname.

HyvaPaiva Mon 24-Feb-14 12:53:14

I don't much like alliteration in names anyway but the first two letters in first name and surname would be the same? I think that's far too much, sorry. It'll sound like something from a children's book.

BirthdayMuppet Mon 24-Feb-14 12:56:21

Depends on the exact names to be honest. Generally I'd say no, it's not for me, but sometimes it does just work.

mysaladdays Mon 24-Feb-14 20:27:45

Ooo, some positive, some negative.... I don't want to out myself, but the first name is two syllables, the second is one and the vowel sound is different. It's the beginning consonent sound that's the same, if that makes sense.

Oh, why can't DH just love all the other names I like and then we wouldn't have this issue. Might have to leave him wink

BikeRunSki Mon 24-Feb-14 20:31:31

I love alliterative names.dd was nearly Kirstie Cooper, but DH didn't like Kirstie.

MarvellousMechanicalMouseOrgan Tue 25-Feb-14 18:10:23

So, something like Stella Stein?

RugbyWidow7 Tue 25-Feb-14 19:38:40

We gave our son alliterative names and they sound great! It's a memorable name and we get lots of comments. V happy with it.

Methe Tue 25-Feb-14 19:43:16

Both of mine are GJ names.. I didn't ever realise it was a thing until the youngest was a couple of years old.

SilkStalkings Tue 25-Feb-14 21:12:03

I quite like it sometimes.
Always liked the idea of a nickname that was your initials eg Beatrice Bella -Bebe/BB, Gina Gale - Gigi/GG, Vivienne Verity - Vivi/VV. not sure they would work irl thoughsmile.

hefner Wed 26-Feb-14 13:00:17

I ruled out my favourite boys name because I was worried an alliterative name would sound silly, but then realised that my dad's name is alliterative and I've never thought it sounded strange at all. I've also got a friend with a nice alliterative name, and I like Lauren Laverne's name!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now