Talk

Advanced search

traditional names for a girl that can't really be shortened

(40 Posts)
tomhan187 Sun 23-Feb-14 07:20:21

We are expecting a girl in 9weeks, and we really love the name Alice. We like that it's traditional and that it can't really be shortened.

We have a son called Lewis, and I'm just concerned that Alice and Lewis are too similar-sounding. What do you think?

What other traditional names do you like that can't easily be shortened?

chefpants Sun 23-Feb-14 07:21:51

Anna smile

CorusKate Sun 23-Feb-14 07:25:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ivykaty44 Sun 23-Feb-14 07:25:38

Jane

CorusKate Sun 23-Feb-14 07:28:26

pippitysqueakity Sun 23-Feb-14 07:29:40

Ann.
Alice can become Ali or Al.
Very pretty name tho'

LocalEditorOxford Sun 23-Feb-14 07:32:56

And the fact Lewis Caroll wrote Alice in Wonderland.

How about Clare? Or Mary? Maria? Lynne? Anne? Leah?Polly? Esme? Clara?

meditrina Sun 23-Feb-14 07:33:07

Alice can become Al or Allie.

If you really want no nn, then try Mary, Kay, Joy, Mae, Lynne, Hope, Bet, Doris, Lois, Faye, Sadie, Thea, Willa?

SlinkyB Sun 23-Feb-14 07:33:38

Gwen

Parliamo Sun 23-Feb-14 07:34:26

Ruth
Mary
Kate

ivykaty44 Sun 23-Feb-14 07:34:43

Lucy can be shortened to lu

Paintyfingers Sun 23-Feb-14 07:48:10

WeAreDetective Sun 23-Feb-14 07:49:36

Sarah

Only1scoop Sun 23-Feb-14 07:51:37

Think of Alice in wonderland by Lewis Carroll....would think you were a huge fan.
My friend is Alice ....always been Ali

meditrina Sun 23-Feb-14 07:54:05

Yes, Bet is a nn already (and conversely Sarah becomes Sally).

It's quite hard to find names that cannot be shortened (or lengthened, like Rose to Rosie) - OP didn't go that route for her older DC.

Paintyfingers Sun 23-Feb-14 08:05:08

MyNameIsKenAdams Sun 23-Feb-14 08:06:12

Georgia
Meg
Ruth
Grace

CorusKate Sun 23-Feb-14 08:08:00

CorusKate Sun 23-Feb-14 08:10:26

Bootoyou2 Sun 23-Feb-14 08:11:47

Ruth
Anna
Anne
Mary
Rose
Helen
Sarah

nooka Sun 23-Feb-14 08:13:18

Alice + Lewis would I think be a bit odd because of Alice in Wonderland, and yes they are very similar sounding names.

Plus as others have said an Alice might well become Ally or Al. Very difficult to find names that can't be shortened, and lots of children like nns too. I think it's better to choose a name where you like the nns really.

My grandmother had similar views, and called her children Ian and Clare. They both were known by nicknames throughout their childhood!

More helpfully I think that the hardest names to shorten are single syllable names. You might find they get lengthened instead though.

RustyBear Sun 23-Feb-14 08:14:27

Whatever you call your child, don't underestimate the ability of other children, especially teenagers, to find a nickname - if they can't shorten it, they will lengthen it - Mae will become Maisie, Bet, Bezza etc.

I thought no-one would shorten 'Amber' when we called DD that - she's been Bambi, or Bam ever since she went to secondary school...

MaryWestmacott Sun 23-Feb-14 08:15:40

Emily (although they often get "Em")
Esther
Heather
Eve
Anna
Ruth

Although I think if you really love Alice, you should go for it, it doesn't sound too strange with Lewis. If you love the name Alice, unless you find something else you love more, you're going to always think of her name as a compromise.

MarysDressSways Sun 23-Feb-14 08:18:01

Amy is the best I think.

Others-
Ivy
Kate
Daisy
Claire

I know to Alices, one sticks with Alice, the other is universally known as Ali. Lewis and Alice is a bit of a mouthful when said together but they don't sound so similar you would constantly be getting the wrong one when you call up the stairs.

Also, names that are already short tend to get lengthened, either to their "correct" name eg Meg to Megan, or just because they sound too short, eg Ann to Annie, Grace to Gracey, Jane to Janey.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now