Talk

Advanced search

Celestine/ Christabel/ Calliope

(39 Posts)
Dixy30 Sat 22-Feb-14 17:04:28

Hello

Have posted before and got some good suggestions! Have 2 other DC with unusual names.

Favourite is Celestine but what do others think and what would you guess as a nickname - Sissy, Celly doesn't sound good!

Thought would have Genevieve as a middle name but Celestine Genevieve sounds very French (we are not).

Calliope I also like but son has a Greek name and think it is a bit more out there?

If you like unusual names please chip in and suggest some middle names too! Thanks grin

TheAwfulDaughter Sat 22-Feb-14 17:10:19

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

HectorVector Sat 22-Feb-14 17:14:53

I know a Christabel, it seems like a very middle-aged woman kind of name to me. Out of your list I prefer Calliope.

DramaAlpaca Sat 22-Feb-14 17:16:48

I quite like Celestine.

Lesti for a nn?

Pinkandwhite Sat 22-Feb-14 17:17:08

Celestine and Genevieve are gorgeous names. Have you thought about Calista?

ImperialBlether Sat 22-Feb-14 17:19:38

I think Celie is the abbreviation for Celestine, isn't it?

You'll have trouble with people pronouncing Calliope properly, though.

baskingseals Sat 22-Feb-14 17:23:13

I love Christabel, to me it sounds elegant and romantic.
What about

Marianne

Astrid

Callisto

Belinda

Saskia

Lorelei

Delphine

AndHarry Sat 22-Feb-14 20:12:53

I wouldn't go for Calliope as she will always be correcting people's spelling and pronunciation.

My favourite from your list is Celestine but Christabel is also very pretty.

mathanxiety Sat 22-Feb-14 20:42:26

Celly is a nice NN imo. My mum has a friend Marcella who has this NN.

Celestine Genevieve sounds lovely, and not any more French than Anne-Marie imo -- they're both names that are used enough to sound home grown. Something like Marie-France would sound French.

I like both Celestine and Christabel, but not Calliope. To me that's always going to mean the sound of hurdy gurdy music.

I love the suggestions of Belinda and Calista too.

boardingschoolbaby Sat 22-Feb-14 20:47:39

I know a Celeste who is known as Sisi- pronounced CC

squoosh Sat 22-Feb-14 21:03:23

I like Christabel as even though it's a bit frilly it reminds me of two good unfrilly women, Christabel Pankhurst and Christabel Bielenberg.

Calliope reminds me of calipers.

YouAreTalkingRubbish Sat 22-Feb-14 21:13:32

Celestine is a fantastic name and....

...Celestine Genevieve is an equally fantastic name. I approve grin

I really wouldn't worry about the french'ness. It would only matter if your surname was French too. The only slight negative is that they are both quite long names and you might get fed up filling out forms if all your kids have similarly long names.

I wouldn't set out to use a nickname. Although, I love the name Celeste almost as much as Celestine.

I like christobel but you might end up with her getting called 'Chris' which would be a shame.

I am not sure about Calliope confused

MyNameIsInigoMontoya Sat 22-Feb-14 21:14:16

I like Christabel and there's a nice choice of shortened versions too if you/she wanted to use those. I agree not Calliope as 90% of people won't have a clue how to say or spell it!

Showy Sat 22-Feb-14 21:24:02

I love Calliope but I agree with the pronunciation issue. However, she or you would only have to tell people once and it's so pretty.

Christabel was my great aunt and I love the name. We were going to give ds the middle name Mirabel if he was a she. He would have been Josephine Aphra Mirabel (Sephie for short).

Met a toddler named Cicely the other day which I thought rather pretty.

ClothesPegs Sat 22-Feb-14 22:16:05

Do like all your suggestions... What about Calypso though? Have loved this name since the Camomile Lawn, on my list for DC3

squoosh Sat 22-Feb-14 22:18:20

Loved Calypso in The Camomile Lawn!

DramaAlpaca Sat 22-Feb-14 22:20:18

Oh yes, love Calypso!

andadietcoke Sat 22-Feb-14 22:22:30

I adore Callie as a nn for Calliope, to the extent that I considered it as a name in it's own right. Agree with PPs that otherwise it might be hard to pronounce, which was what put me off.

Dixy30 Sat 22-Feb-14 22:59:39

Thanks for all of your fantastic suggestions.

Love cicely and will look into origin, meaning.
Have considered calypso but worried is quite a hard name to pull off for a child/ woman - conjures up quite exotic and lively vibe.

Any other middle name suggestions? Could use Alice a family name, but not hugely keen. I do think Genevieve is too long and would prefer max 2 syllable middle name grin

noitsachicken Sat 22-Feb-14 23:05:17

I have no idea how to pronounce Calliope!
Celestine is very pretty and unusual.

squoosh Sat 22-Feb-14 23:11:55

I think Calliope is pronounced kuh-lie-o-pee but I may well be wrong.

Dovahkiin Sun 23-Feb-14 00:16:59

I love Calliope nn Cally. Would have gone with it if it hadn't clashed with our surname.

Showy Sun 23-Feb-14 00:25:16

squoosh is right. Calliope is kuh lie o pee. Like Penelope in cadence. Beautiful name.

Puddles1234 Sun 23-Feb-14 01:12:36

All three are great names.

Celestine Genevieve - she would probably get Celeste which I love.

Calliope - she will get the NN Callie when she goes to school. However it's such a sweet name.

Christabel - she would probably have the NN Christie or Christa

What about:

Aminta/Araminta NN Minty
Aoide
Artemis
Callisto (Can also be spelt Kallisto)
Hebe
Iola
Ophelia
Persephone NN Sephy
Selene

freerangeeggs Sun 23-Feb-14 13:53:41

Celestine is lovely. Lissy maybe?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now