Talk

Advanced search

Louis or Lewis

(17 Posts)
BettyStogs Fri 21-Feb-14 16:58:07

Is either spelling ok? And are they both pronounced the same way?

Cataline Fri 21-Feb-14 16:59:27

Loo-ee and loo-iss
Both lovely!

MyNameIsKenAdams Fri 21-Feb-14 16:59:39

Louis - Lew-ee
Lewis - Lew Iss

Two totally different names.

BettyStogs Fri 21-Feb-14 17:04:27

Thanks, thought they might both be lew-iss which is what we were going for. Lewis it is then!

Mrsindecision Fri 21-Feb-14 18:15:32

I would definitely pronounce Louis as "Loo-eey". Lewis is the right one to go for if you want the pronunciation "Loo-iss". smile

lljkk Fri 21-Feb-14 18:27:55

Louis can be pronounced either way ime. Lewis only has one pronunciation.

squoosh Fri 21-Feb-14 19:30:44

I pronounce Louis as Loo-ee, but elsewhere, in America for example they pronounce it Loo-iss.

Lewis seems more straightforward if that's the sound you like, very few people will get that wrong.

lljkk Fri 21-Feb-14 19:41:25

My (American) brother is Louis pronounced Lou-ee.
He has gone by his middle name for decades, but that's another story.

Theonlyoneiknow Fri 21-Feb-14 19:54:36

Lewis. Fab name, beautiful island ( recently voted most,beautiful in Europe alongside Harris)

BettyStogs Fri 21-Feb-14 19:55:49

Like both but Lou-ee doesn't work with our surname.

usualsuspect33 Sat 22-Feb-14 00:09:53

I know several boys called Louis , pronounced loo is.

SilkStalkings Sat 22-Feb-14 11:41:07

It's confusing because there is the American city St Louis which they all pronounce St Lewis.
I would assume Louis was pronounce the French way (Looey) and Lewis the Welsh way (Lewis.)

HoratiaDrelincourt Sat 22-Feb-14 12:13:29

A teacher friend declares that Louis-looey and Lewis-looiss boys are all fine but Louis-looiss boys are all handfuls.

Go with the one that matches the pronunciation you like. In the UK they've traditionally been quite distinct (one French, one Scottish).

RaspberryRuffle Sat 22-Feb-14 14:07:41

Louis, pronounced Loo-is, is awful unless you're American. France is our close neighbour, Louis is the name of many kings, Louis Pasteur, not Loo-is. I like the name Lewis, but only when spelt correctly.

maitaimojito Sat 22-Feb-14 14:27:34

I know a Louis pronounces it Looiss and every time I see his name written down I want to pronounce it Looey...

So I would go with Lewis if that's the sound you like.

lljkk Sat 22-Feb-14 19:23:18

Americans say "Saint Lou-ee" as well as "Saint Lew-iss". <<Stamps feet impatiently, hate it when Brits think they know everything about American culture>> Have you not HEARD the Route 66 song?

ShadowFall Sat 22-Feb-14 19:28:41

I would assume that Louis was pronounced Loo-ee and Lewis Loo-iss.

So if you want a Lew-iss sound, I'd spell it Lewis to avoid confusion.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now