Talk

Advanced search

I'm just going to call it "baby" and be done with it!

(27 Posts)
PeaceLillyDoge Fri 21-Feb-14 11:13:21

DD is due very soon and we can't agree on any names. I have a very common name and am keen that she isn't lumbered with the same fate of being "so-and-so number five" at school. DP on the other hand can't seem to get out of the top ten most popular baby names (and want lumbered with such a popular name himself). They're popular names for a reason, I get that, I'd just like something a little less top 100...

These are names I like and I'd love your opinions on them and any other suggestions. Surname is pretty standard and short.

Zoe
Hera (also love Juno but it doesn't work with our local accent)
Darcey (is this really making a comeback?)
Aria (love GOT so an fine with the reference)
Marika (my fave, and one we nearly agree on but we're not eastern European, does this matter?)

Help!

Dingleinthevillage Fri 21-Feb-14 11:18:58

Baby has been done. Dirty Dancing.

PeaceLillyDoge Fri 21-Feb-14 11:22:03

I know, so common sad

UriGeller Fri 21-Feb-14 11:23:24

Zoe! S'lovely and not faddy.

lljkk Fri 21-Feb-14 11:32:01

I like Marika best on your list. I think Darcey will be considered cooler in long run. I don't like Hera or Aria.

IHeartKingThistle Fri 21-Feb-14 11:39:30

Zoe is gorgeous and timeless.

Mrsindecision Fri 21-Feb-14 11:45:31

Completely understand your concerns re popularity but would also say that even the most popular names of today are far less used than in the 70's and 80's (ie the top names are still used by less than 1% of babies born, so statistically in a class of 30 it is unlikely that there will be others with the same name). Ironically, in my dd's year at school, the names that are duplicated are those that are statistically very unlikely to be duplicated, ie they were well outside the top 100 for their year of birth so you really can never can tell!
Fwiw, I like Marika the best from your list.
My advice would be to ignore the lists and choose a name that you both love. Good luck! smile

Dovahkiin Fri 21-Feb-14 11:47:01

My very dubious baby name book mentions the 'African' girls name 'Abebe' so you might be into something there...
More helpfully, I like all the names on your list. I loved Hera when she was a character in Battlestar Galactica, as cultured as I am. I'm not as crazy about Marika - prefer the less harsh-sounding Marina or Marissa.

elliebe13 Fri 21-Feb-14 11:49:46

If ds was a girl he would have been anneka. Similar to marika but not so outlandish. smile

Springcleanish Fri 21-Feb-14 11:50:00

Zoe, lovely name and timeless.

MummyBeerest Fri 21-Feb-14 11:52:36

I love all these names, bar Marika (personal association.)

Use the list and wait til you see her!

Thurlow Fri 21-Feb-14 11:52:56

I adore Hera, and wish I was brave enough to use it. And I only heard it in BSG too blush

Zoe is really nice though - common and recognisable but not overly popular at the moment.

Marika - I don't know, for some reason without an Eastern European connection I don't like it as much, though I have no idea why

PeaceLillyDoge Fri 21-Feb-14 12:04:15

Some excellent feedback here, thank you smile

I'll keep mulling it over and hopefully she'll come out with a name tag attached do I don't have to decide!

(I'm also a massive BSG fan, hense the Hera reference)

PeaceLillyDoge Fri 21-Feb-14 12:07:04

And thank you Mrs that's a very good point that I hadn't considered

I like Darcey. Sorry but the others aren't doing anything for me.

UriGeller Fri 21-Feb-14 12:34:53

Hebe sounds a bit like "Baby" and looks a bit like Hera (a bit).

Habiba was on our shortlist, shortened to Biba (bit like Baby?)

Biscuitsneeded Fri 21-Feb-14 12:41:10

Zoe is timeless and beautiful. It's a 'real' name ie not made up, but you don't meet many of them. It's pretty but unpretentious. I'd go for that!

JumpingJackSprat Fri 21-Feb-14 12:53:05

Zoe is gorgeous. I met one that was about 18mo and it struck me what a beautiful name it is. Zara is quite similar?

Anniegoestotown Fri 21-Feb-14 12:59:25

3 Darceys in dds primary school class. Dd had a top 5 name when she was born but is the only one in her school with it.

everythinghippie29 Fri 21-Feb-14 13:23:39

I like them all but say go for Malika if you both like it. It is pretty and different. When you see baby you will know if she suits it!

I went with a very unique (but I think lovely) name for my son because both DP and I agreed on it.

It makes me smile when people ask his name as everyone seems to pause in surprise and then ask questions about it.

I, like you think it will be nice for him to have an uncommon name, although am prepared to be told otherwise when he reaches his teen years and decides he would rather go by his much more normal middle name. grin

everythinghippie29 Fri 21-Feb-14 13:24:45

*Marika

Innogen Fri 21-Feb-14 15:28:45

Hera is my fave.

HyvaPaiva Fri 21-Feb-14 15:33:52

Zoe - Don't like
Hera - Like
Darcey - Awful
Aria - Love it (And GoT!) but where I live it'd be pronounced 'Are Ya?' and that puts me off
Marika - I love it if pronounced MAR-ik-ah, dislike it if pronounced Mah-REEK-ah.

DitsyDonkey Fri 21-Feb-14 16:38:08

Love Zoe and Hera!!

Though is Zoe not very popular....I could be wrong!

Astarael Fri 21-Feb-14 19:49:07

Love Aria

I like Darcey but know 3 under one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now