Talk

Advanced search

Maisie or Emmie?

(40 Posts)
Sammy999 Thu 20-Feb-14 12:28:22

Hi everyone,

I'm about to drop any day but cannot decide what to call our little girl, it seems such an important decision...

I would really appreciate your comments in relation to the following two options that my partner and I have come up with:

1) Emmie Rose
2) Maisie Rose

Thank you x :-) x

RobinSparkles Thu 20-Feb-14 12:30:29

Maisie.

If you go for Emmie then lots of people are going to presume that she's called Emma or Emily.

summerlovingliz Thu 20-Feb-14 12:37:53

Maisie! smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 20-Feb-14 12:41:37

Emmie will lead to a lifetime of confusion. Only use it if you really, really love it.

notso Thu 20-Feb-14 12:56:07

I really like both, I think Emmie sounds a bit more nicknamey than Maisie but only just.

I know one Emmie, from the nursery I worked at. It wasn't really a problem, a couple of people asked if it was a nn but Mum said no and that was that.

I have a diminutive name, I do sometimes get asked if my 'real' name is the full version but am more likely to be called the 'ie' version of my name.

halecromp Thu 20-Feb-14 16:45:40

I love both, but prefer Emmie.

thegreatgatsby101 Thu 20-Feb-14 17:00:22

I don't like either spellings as I'm not keen on 'ie' endings of names, not sure why.
I prefer Maisy, but spelt as I just have.
Emmie just sounds like a nn of Emma and I think others will assume the same. For the record I think Emma is a beautiful name! ;)

ToffeeJungle Thu 20-Feb-14 17:45:44

Maisie.

Emmie feels like it needs to be short for something.

MoonHare Thu 20-Feb-14 18:02:56

Not wild about either but would choose Maisie over Emmie for all the reasons others have already given.

Shinysilverbutton Thu 20-Feb-14 18:27:51

Not keen on either sorry but I'd pick Maisie over the two.

JimmyCorkhill Thu 20-Feb-14 18:36:03

Have you considered Emme? It sounds exactly the same as Emmie but looks like a full name rather than a shortened name.
Agree that Maisy is a nicer spelling too.

Personally I would go with Emme.

SanityClause Thu 20-Feb-14 18:42:19

Please remember that this person will be a child for a short time, compared to the time they will be an adult.

They're pretty names, but they seem like they belong to a child.

What about Esme? You could call her Emmie, but she would have a proper grown up option for later in life.

ConcreteElephant Thu 20-Feb-14 19:03:03

We call our Emma Emmie, or Em, or even Emma (radical!). She's only 4 and it suits her now but as she gets older it may vanish from the nn list. Basically I think Emmie is always going to be seen as a nickname for something. I prefer it to Maisie but then I would wouldn't I? wink

Both lovely names though really, you can't go wrong.

Sammy999 Thu 20-Feb-14 19:15:05

Thank you for all of your comments - it's good to hear different opinions and gives me some constructive food for thought :-) xxx

GwenStacy Thu 20-Feb-14 19:19:43

We have an Emmy, short for Emmeline. Despite me texting her using Emmy, repeatedly, I have one friend who is convinced she is called Emily.

On the other hand, I love it!

AHardDaysWrite Thu 20-Feb-14 19:26:41

Honestly? I think they're both little-girl names. They'll be gorgeous on a toddler, but less cute on a 40 year old. I would avoid Maisie, and call her Emily, Emilia or Esme then shorten it to Emmie.

roadwalker Thu 20-Feb-14 19:32:06

i know several old ladies called Maisie

MrsBungle Thu 20-Feb-14 19:34:54

I prefer Emmie to Maisie but I agree with others that Emmie is a nickname. Emilia and esme are lovely.

MyCatLovesMeSometimes Thu 20-Feb-14 19:45:29

Maisie/y is quite popular at the moment as we know a few little girls called that.

I tend to prefer Emme.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 20-Feb-14 19:46:29

Know what you hard. Cutsey names aren't quite so cute on a teenager with attitude.

everlong Thu 20-Feb-14 21:20:22

Maisie.
Emmy is terrible. So sickly and wet.

Davidhasselhoffstoecheese Thu 20-Feb-14 23:40:38

Emmie is lovely. Maisey is a bit twee

Davidhasselhoffstoecheese Thu 20-Feb-14 23:41:45

Emmeline?

Glittery7 Thu 20-Feb-14 23:43:52

Maisie is ok.

NotBrittaPieHonest Thu 20-Feb-14 23:47:42

Another parent of an Emmeline with a nn of Emmy over here grin

She gets called Emily ALL THE TIME. People get over it, though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now