Talk

Advanced search

opinions of other siblings

(12 Posts)
zoemaguire Mon 17-Feb-14 12:56:58

We've just made the stupid mistake of running our names shortlist past dd (nearly 6), and all bar one got a very negative reception. Our frontrunner got the response 'it sounds like the name of someone not very nice'! Now obviously she is only 5 and we are not going to let her dictate her sibling's name choice to us. But all the same I'm a bit rattled, as baby is arriving tomorrow by elcs!!! Yeah I know,timing poor but she sort of forced the subject on us!

Did anyone else give their baby a name that another sibling professed to really dislike, and how quickly did they get used to it?! She is pretty excited about new sibling, so it isn't just displaced negativity. Luckily ds (3) says he likes all our choicessmile

zoemaguire Mon 17-Feb-14 16:05:47

Anyone?smile

PensAndPencils Mon 17-Feb-14 16:11:55

I wouldn't worry at all, the name will quickly become associated only with the baby. when dd2 was born dd1 (4 at the time) didn't like the name and said she would call her sister Tony. this was forgotten as soon as she saw baby!

Oriunda Mon 17-Feb-14 16:31:22

I'm a bit anti letting siblings choose names. BIL/SIL had a perfectly nice name sorted for their DD2 but they let DD1 choose the final name. When the announcement came through of birth/name DH and I both had an instant 'urge' reaction (which is very unusual for us). Plus I feel that if you put a lot of effort into choosing your first child's name, then you owe subsequent children the same right, not letting another child dictate their name.

Go with the name you like, am sure when baby is born your children will be so excited they will like any name you choose.

Oriunda Mon 17-Feb-14 16:32:31

'Urgh' rather than 'urge'!

HyvaPaiva Mon 17-Feb-14 16:34:43

My DM would be called 'My Beautiful Little Rose Petal' if her big brother had been allowed his choice for her. Aw! grin

zoemaguire Mon 17-Feb-14 17:04:26

Thanks, that was my gut feeling, but I'm a puddle of hormones and finding it hard to think straight! Bigger issue is that dh and I are finding it hard to decide on a name as well, so the vote of no confidence didn't help! But we will definitely decide with no further small child inputsmile Was just anxious about her transferring negative feelings about name to the baby.

Hyva, that's really sweet! Ds's suggestion was 'purple dinosaur'smile If we get desperate, maybe we'll just go with thatsmile

HyvaPaiva Mon 17-Feb-14 17:06:26

Purple dinosaur, that's so sweet! smile

ZingSweetApple Mon 17-Feb-14 17:35:06

Definitely choose the name you like, people, including DC will get used to it!

when I was pg with my 6th our kids decided that baby should be called Yoda.confused

Yoda Shark for a boy, Yoda Yogurt for a girl.
grin

RoseHoney Tue 18-Feb-14 14:43:58

My 4yo has decided our baby should be called Jesus. smilesmile
Good luck for today, hope all goes well!

Innogen Sat 22-Feb-14 03:19:00

Zoe, how did it go? thanks

dramajustfollowsme Sat 22-Feb-14 05:51:36

Dd wants to call this baby BenAndHollyPeppaMcstuffin - all one word with middle names of fairy glitter.
Dh and I are fairly certain the baby won't be called that! winkgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now