Talk

Advanced search

Decided! Opinions welcome...

(25 Posts)
Annakin31 Mon 17-Feb-14 02:01:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NadiaWadia Mon 17-Feb-14 04:29:03

Annabel Sarah is lovely, and Annie.

Charles would be better for a proper grown-up name (High Court judge argument) although Charlie is lovely for every day.

Charleston?
Charlemagne? (No, maybe not!)

Annakin31 Mon 17-Feb-14 05:01:25

aGirlDownUnder1 Mon 17-Feb-14 05:37:14

Annabel Sarah is absolutely gorgeous. Charlie is also lovely, Charlie should be fine as it is. IMO I think their is no point giving a full name if you are only going to call your dc by it's nm.

I don't think it matters whether one sibling has got more middle names than the other

Annakin31 Mon 17-Feb-14 07:36:40

Madamecastafiore Mon 17-Feb-14 07:38:28

Really lovely names but agree with the poster below that Charles is better.

rosielrh2 Mon 17-Feb-14 08:09:32

I knew a Charlie who I found out 20 years later was a Charles...you can use the full name and potentially know one will know he's a Charles until he is a high court judge/prime minister!

Annakin31 Mon 17-Feb-14 08:13:08

NadiaWadia Mon 17-Feb-14 08:22:19

Really? So what about Bonnie Prince Charlie and all that?

Annakin31 Mon 17-Feb-14 08:25:08

Thewhingingdefective Mon 17-Feb-14 08:26:46

My two eldest children have double middle names, after their great grandparents. The younger two children have just one middle name each, after DH's dad and my mum. Their names just flowed better with single middle names. Youngest DS's middle name is Charles.

peppinagiro Mon 17-Feb-14 08:30:31

What an idiot! He does know that Bonnie Prince Charlie's name was Charles, right?

Use Charles. I know someone whose parents just gave him Charlie as his full name, and everyone just assumed his full name was Charles anyway. You'd think it wouldn't matter but it got quite annoying for him. I also agree with PP about needing a proper full name, a NN as a full name just doesn't pass muster for me.

Ra88 Mon 17-Feb-14 08:37:54

My DS is 2 weeks old and he is Charlie smile

peppinagiro Mon 17-Feb-14 08:39:10

Sorry Ra88. Congratulations on your new boy!

Annakin31 Mon 17-Feb-14 10:06:28

SimplySara Mon 17-Feb-14 10:24:29

I am a fan of giving longer names on birth certificate so there are options on version of the name for the child to choose from as they grow older. I grew up with a name that had very little options (in my opinion Sally and Sadie which are suppose to be diminutives of Sara(h) are completely different names) and as such felt constricted when there were several Sara(h)s (I'm from the states originally where Sara and Sarah are pronounced the same) in the same class. I couldn't even be Sara B. as there was already one of those and ended up being BB (after my middle and last name initial) most of my education. So hence a longer name with options is a perquisite for names for me.

That being said, I do like Charlie much better than Charles and as I'm married to a through and through Scotsman, he too would have major objections to the name Charles. So I see where you are coming from! Our first DD has a middle name of Elisabeth but it had to be spelled with an "s" for this reason. I just find it pretty ridiculous mind you.

Oh and also just as a side note, a nickname for Charles/Charlie in the states is Chuck. Not one that is preferred by many people right now, but who knows it may come back...

TheCraicDealer Mon 17-Feb-14 10:38:38

If I were you I'd go for Charles. I'm saying that as someone who gets called by a -ie name at home, but who uses my "Sunday name" at work. I think it's more professional. Your DS may not feel the same when he's older, but it would be nice for him to have the option.

WeGotAnnie Mon 17-Feb-14 10:41:16

Annie is brill grin

NadiaWadia Mon 17-Feb-14 20:24:15

I think maybe your DP is associating 'Charles' with the current Prince of Wales, Annakin. Not a great association I admit! This would tie in with what SimplySara says about having to spell her DD's middle name as 'Elisabeth' rather than 'Elizabeth' - presumably to avoid associations with the Queen? Are most Scottish people not fond of the Royals, then? (Not that I am particularly) They are descended from the Stuarts after all and the late Queen Mother was the daughter of a Scottish Earl.

There must be some famous Scottish Charleses though?

winterhat Mon 17-Feb-14 20:31:44

Charles, with Charlie as nickname - best of both worlds.

everlong Mon 17-Feb-14 21:23:23

Lovely names!

Annakin31 Mon 17-Feb-14 23:58:53

NadiaWadia Tue 18-Feb-14 00:50:36

Hmm, well not really a fan of hyphens either, but it does sound very cute I have to admit! Then she has her own song as well.

I think I am on to a losing thing with this 'proper names only' belief of mine. Pregnant DN is planning to call the baby 'Alfie'. I mildly suggested 'Alfred' but it's true that's not really that appealing whereas 'Alfie' is cute. Her choice of course and I didn't like to say any more. (whereas I can on Mumsnet!)

All the best with the baby, anyway, Charlie is very sweet and all your names are lovely anyway.

CaipirinhasAllRound Tue 18-Feb-14 07:42:08

Go with Charlie if that's your preference, he can always use Charles as a nickname if he chooses to when he's older!

squoosh Tue 18-Feb-14 11:33:38

If people can use Charlie for Charles, surely they can also use Charles in place of Charlie if they so wish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now