Talk

Advanced search

Names that are too close?

(13 Posts)
LouisaJF Sun 16-Feb-14 10:33:43

I have always wanted Samuel as a name, after my grandad. A few years ago my BF had a little boy and called him Samuel, long before I had any children.

This wasn't an issue when we had DS1 but now DS2 is on the way, hubby has set his heart on Samuel. I think that as Samuel is the son of my BF, they are too close.

Due to distance we only get to see each other every couple of months and I do love the name but to me it doesn't quite feel right.

I haven't discussed this with BF yet but I'm sure if I did she wouldn't mind.

Would you go with it as your joint favourite name, or go with an alternative? We only have 6 weeks left so we've got to make a decision soon!

PinkGlove Sun 16-Feb-14 13:43:03

I think that as it's some years ago, it would be ok. I would explain to your friend how much you love the name, your grandad, etc

We used a name for my second son that a (not so close, rarely ever see one another) friend used about 5 or so years ago. We didn't tell her or anything, just used it, but obviously for you thats different.

If not then I'm sure it would be lovely as a middle name. Samuel is a great name, fwiw.

AmIatwat Sun 16-Feb-14 13:47:51

No, I think it's a bit odd for siblings to share a name, I take it your current partner has a son called Samuel. TBO I'm a little confused.

LouisaJF Sun 16-Feb-14 14:08:44

No my DH wants to call our new baby Samuel but my best friend has named her son Samuel.

BikeRunSki Sun 16-Feb-14 14:13:42

It'll be fine. Explain your friend about your partner's grandfather. As you live far apart there won't be many oppurtunities for potential confusion.

AmIatwat Sun 16-Feb-14 14:47:17

Sorry I thought you meant BF as in boyfriend.

Nataleejah Sun 16-Feb-14 14:59:48

So the two Samuels will be half-brothers? Not a good idea. Even though i heard of a combination where one brother was Karl, another one Karl Erik

LouisaJF Sun 16-Feb-14 15:38:05

They won't be related in any way. One will be mine and DH's son, the other will be my best friends.

AmIatwat Sun 16-Feb-14 18:13:39

FWIW I would be a tad miffed if my best friend called her child the same name as hers. I wanted Ruby for a girl but a friend had a Ruby 6 days before I had my child, No way was I going to call her that.

Davidhasselhoffstoecheese Sun 16-Feb-14 19:01:08

Just call him Samuel. Tell your friend he is named after your grandad and her son

poocatcherchampion Sun 16-Feb-14 19:37:11

if it was a more random name I would think no, but Samuel is well known so I think it is fine. you dont expect your Samuel to be the only one you ever meet just the best one

great name
it is on our list for boys.

Kaekae Mon 17-Feb-14 13:03:37

No I wouldn't use it, there are so many other names to choose from. I would use it was a middle name though.

Bowlersarm Mon 17-Feb-14 13:10:25

I would run it by her if you think she won't mind you using it.

Then you have her blessing if you decide to use it.

Tbh, as time goes by and with the more children you have, so many names get used up by friends/family/colleagues along the way that there has to be some sort of overlap of names at some stage. Not every name can be unique in your circle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now