Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Elodie?

(16 Posts)
SpanielFace Sun 16-Feb-14 09:26:04

Just came across this name for the first time, attached to a French skier in the Olympics. Thought it was rather pretty, and DH agreed.

Thoughts? Do you like it? Too French for an English child with no French heritage, or perfectly ok?

mawbroon Sun 16-Feb-14 09:29:44

I know a 4yo Elodie. It seemed unusual at first, but I am very used to it now and I like it.

Mumof3xx Sun 16-Feb-14 09:32:37

It's lovely

It was on my list

Dp said no

ginzillas Sun 16-Feb-14 09:34:11

I love it too. Heard it being shouted in a park and it sounded gorgeous.

AlwaysOneMissing Sun 16-Feb-14 09:36:39

It would sound nice said by a French person.
Here, I think it sounds made up.

SpanielFace Sun 16-Feb-14 09:51:19

That's my worry, AlwaysOne. I think it will end up being pronounced to rhyme with "Melody", and might be mistaken for it. Also, DS has a very classic British boys name, so I'm not sure how well the would go together, IYSWIM. It is pretty though!

homeanddry Sun 16-Feb-14 09:58:31

It would sound dated to French ears - its an 80s/90s name.

And lots would pronounce it 'Elledy', which is a lot less pretty than the French pronunciation.

AlwaysOneMissing Sun 16-Feb-14 10:00:07

I know an Elodie, and it is pronounced to rhyme with Melody.
How should it be pronounced?!

homeanddry Sun 16-Feb-14 10:08:14

Eh-Low-dee
with a clear O sound, more than English-speakers would naturally use
and equal emphasis on each syllable

SpanielFace Sun 16-Feb-14 10:15:11

I thought it probably should be said "El-oh-dee". That said, Melody should probably be pronounced the same, but around here (Midlands) it isn't, it's more like "ELL-ur-dee", the the emphasis strongly on the Ell. I'm probably wrong though, I've only seen it written down! How would the French say it?

SpanielFace Sun 16-Feb-14 10:15:42

Homeanddry, that's what I thought, but better explained!

peppinagiro Sun 16-Feb-14 18:29:42

My baby is Elodie. We have no french heritage, though I do speak French, but I actually prefer the name with the English pronunciation. We call her ELL-uh-dee, but I am ok with it if people call her ell-oh-DEE. We had a couple of elderly people struggling and going with the godawful el-LOAD-ee, but that seems to have stopped, thankfully.

Everyone seems to really like it, and lots and lots of people have really raved about it. We've only had one or two people go 'oh...that's...interesting'. Only one person has confused it with Melody - nobody else has made a link, which surprises me. Also, nobody has tried to shorten it to Ella or Ellie. Nobody has thought it was made up - more educated people know it's a French name, others have assumed it's some sort of foreign name they haven't heard before. I think it's a good one as it's accessible, pronouncable, spellable by English people.

I hadn't met another Elodie, but there are now two more locally whose mums blatantly copied me so it is getting more popular, at least in the sort of area I live in. But I don't really care - I love it, and it suits DD perfectly.

princessdave Mon 17-Feb-14 11:13:46

My 2.5 year old is Elodie. Like peppinagiro, we are not French although we do have a family house in France and do speak French and I think that was where I picked it up from. It just sounded so beautiful to me and unusual for the UK - given that we have a VERY common S surname I wanted something no one else was using basically. I think there were 211 registered the year she was born (2011) or the year after, I forget which. Never met another one (we're in Hampshire) and have had nothing but positive, oh isn't that pretty, unusual responses etc.

We pronounce it Eh-low-dee but do get the odd Ella-dee. I don't really mind, she knows her own name and can say it now. Her friends can all say it too.

Good choice if you go with it IMHO! smile

Misspilly88 Tue 18-Feb-14 19:22:06

I know an Elodie in south west England, lovely smile

Ictoanntu Tue 18-Feb-14 22:14:54

My dd is Elodie. It always receives positive comments. I still love it and would choose it again in a heartbeat.

QueenofKelsingra Wed 19-Feb-14 09:44:15

my DH is French and it is on our list for DC4 if a girl. So much prettier with French pronunciation but the French/English difference is small so she will still recognise her name if said by either national (bilingual family living in UK).

of our other three DC, one has a French name, one a very English name and one a celtic name (to reflect our very mixed heritage, not just for the fun of it!) and they do flow together well. although all 3 names are 3 syllable so they balance well. foreign names don't always sound odd paired with an English one, but I would expect there to be a reason to use the foreign one tbh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now