Talk

Advanced search

Isobel or Imogen???

(47 Posts)
MarieMag74 Sat 15-Feb-14 11:35:16

Hi everyone - our second little girl is on the way (our daughter is called Eloise, middle name Cara) and we can't decide between Isobel or Imogen (we think we have it shortlisted to these two anyway! Love the name Erin but think we will use that as a middle name).

Any thoughts/comments on either of these names would be much appreciated! : )

NadiaWadia Sat 15-Feb-14 11:56:21

They are both lovely, although Isobel is my favourite. The only trouble is, there are a lot of them around! Will you mind this?

BartBaby Sat 15-Feb-14 11:58:13

I prefer Isobel but agree its quite popular. I love Erin. What about Erin Isobel?

WorraLiberty Sat 15-Feb-14 12:00:55

I like Isobel

Imogen is OK but it always reminds me of Imodium...the diarrhea tablets blush

Erin is a beautiful name though and I like Merrin too.

ShanghaiDiva Sat 15-Feb-14 12:02:29

Isobel Erin - lovely

Giddygrandma Sat 15-Feb-14 12:04:40

I like both, little thought - Isabella?

MarieMag74 Sat 15-Feb-14 12:17:08

That's was I think the only thought for us is how popular both names are but particularly all the variants of Isobel/Isabelle/Isabella etc. I think however we were more bothered by that first time round with choosing names but not so much this time : )
Erin was top of the list for quite a while but think we want something that was a little longer as a first name (also maybe compliments her sisters name Eloise a little better too although that isn't really an issue its one of those things you get bogged down by when choosing names!) and then it was the whole thing about both daughters having E as their initial.
Imodium - that made me laugh! : )

MarieMag74 Sat 15-Feb-14 12:18:51

I think the only thing about Isabella is my OH thinks its a bit too fussy : ( But a very pretty name - think I do prefer the Celtic/Scottish version of Isobel more though : )

MarieMag74 Sat 15-Feb-14 12:29:40

And thank you everyone - its really helpful to me able to chat about name ideas - I know if we talk about names with family they will just end up being unhelpful! x

Buzimomma Sat 15-Feb-14 12:54:38

I prefer Isobel - very pretty.

Rtfairy Sat 15-Feb-14 13:16:39

Both are lovely but think I slightly prefer Isobel

ToffeeJungle Sat 15-Feb-14 13:18:06

Imogen

winterhat Sat 15-Feb-14 17:23:52

Isobel

AmysTiara Sat 15-Feb-14 22:04:39

I like both though I prefer the spelling Isabelle, I know people think that looks too twee but I like it.

Imogen is nice too, sorry I'm no help smile

Ohmydarlin Sat 15-Feb-14 22:44:59

I'd choose Imogen.

Isobel is virtually an anagram of Eloise.

aGirlDownUnder1 Sat 15-Feb-14 22:47:10

Isobel, it's a very pretty and elegant name and it goes well with Eloise too.

DramaAlpaca Sat 15-Feb-14 22:47:34

Isobel.

I like that it uses almost the same letters as Eloise but sounds so different.

Isobel Erin is lovely.

thegreylady Sat 15-Feb-14 22:54:19

I know an Eloise who has a dd named Imogen!

emsyj Sat 15-Feb-14 23:11:53

Isobel and Imogen are both beautiful but every other little girl I meet is called Isobel/Isabella. There are so many of them. After being one of four with my name in my class at school, I would go for the less used Imogen.

ouryve Sat 15-Feb-14 23:14:10

Well, I love both, as they would have been DS1 and DS2's names, if it wasn't for the willies grin

(And Eloise was on my shortlist for DS2!)

ouryve Sat 15-Feb-14 23:17:17

For middle names, btw, they'd have been Isobel Fiona or Freya (which was quite a far out name, a decade ago, so I wasn't sure) and Imogen May.

looki Sun 16-Feb-14 02:32:41

Isabel sounds classier even though Imogen was a close contender for DD2. The only thing really is both names are so popular. Erin is also so pretty.

squoosh Sun 16-Feb-14 04:49:24

Imogen.

Isobel/Isabelle/Isabel/Isabellas are everywhere. As in 'trying to take over the universe' everywhere. My goddaughters three best friends are called Isabelle.

squoosh Sun 16-Feb-14 04:49:57

Erin is really cheesy Irish American.

Isobel - and this is the best spelling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now