Talk

Advanced search

Ottilie or Lorellie?

(17 Posts)
Cocolikeschocolate Sat 15-Feb-14 09:15:22

Ok ... we're nearly there but still not sure which of these to go with. Surname begins Bo..

I think we'll be pronouncing them as follows:
Ott-ill-eee
Lor-ill-eee

Which do you prefer and is one more blonde to you and one more brunette ...I'm dark and hubby has an impossibly strong blonde gene!

Thanks all! x

cuggles Sat 15-Feb-14 09:17:38

I love both but have heard a few people consixering Ottilie recently so think Lorelli might be more unusual if that matters to you. Neither sounds one colour or the other to me...congratulations by the way!

AllMimsyWereTheBorogroves Sat 15-Feb-14 09:19:02

I've never heard the name Lorellie. Frankly it looks like something that's been made up, like those house names chosen to include a bit of the husband's name and a bit of the wife's name - Laurence and Eleanor, in this case. Is it a weird spelling of the German name Lorelei?

If it's between these two, Ottilie every time. It helps that I know an Ottilie in her 20s and she is lovely.

Cocolikeschocolate Sat 15-Feb-14 09:22:37

Yes Allmimsy - it is the German name but we're going to try for a softer pronunciation - if it doesn't stick it doesn't stick but we'll set off on that track! The double L was a typo.

Thanks for feedback both!

LilacBreastedRoller Sat 15-Feb-14 09:27:54

I think if you all her Lorelei (even if you spell it "Lorelie") people will pronounce it in the standard way and it will be a massive pain to keep insisting that it should be done otherwise.

HarderToKidnap Sat 15-Feb-14 09:37:48

People will call her Lor-illy, for sure. Spell it Lorelei.

Oriunda Sat 15-Feb-14 09:47:47

Ottilie is nice.
Lorellie looks wrong and made up/mispelt and will be hard to pronounce whatever way it's spelt.

bouquetofpencils Sat 15-Feb-14 10:11:40

Lorelei is a lovely name in itself.

Lottystar Sat 15-Feb-14 10:24:52

Lorelei is a very pretty and still quite unusual name. It would suit a girl with whatever hair colour.

The other sounds too like Otter to me but then that's probably just my own quirk smile

impatientlywaiting Sat 15-Feb-14 10:43:40

Ottillie, love it.

FrankUnderwood Sat 15-Feb-14 13:08:41

lorelei... spelled and pronounced as originally. Ottilie if you don't like Lorelei.

NomDeClavier Sat 15-Feb-14 13:22:44

Ott-ill-ee would make me wince every time you said it. Sounds beautiful on French, the English can't say it (hence DD is not Ottilie).

Martorana Sat 15-Feb-14 13:27:15

You have spelled them both wrong in the tread title! haven't you?

PestoStormissimos Sat 15-Feb-14 13:32:14

I prefer Aurelie

<<mixes it up a bit>>

grin

lookdeepintotheparka Sat 15-Feb-14 17:06:35

Ottillie/Ottilie is very pretty. Agree Lorellie does sound made up even though it isn't!! I don't like Lorelei really either and doesn't have the sound you were looking for.

peppinagiro Mon 17-Feb-14 08:36:32

Lorelei needs to be spelt properly and is pronounced Lor-el-eye. If I heard you pronounce it your way I would do this face hmm and think you should have picked a name you knew how to say. Sorry if that's a bit blunt!

Both are lovely names though. Actually Lorelei to me is a blonde girl, because that's what she is in the famous German folk song Die Lorelei:

2. Die schönste Jungfrau sitzet
Dort oben wunderbar,
Ihr gold'nes Geschmeide blitzet,
Sie kämmt ihr goldenes Haar,
Sie kämmt es mit goldenem Kamme,
Und singt ein Lied dabei;
Das hat eine wundersame,
Gewalt'ge Melodei.

The loveliest maiden is sitting
Up there, so wondrously fair;
Her golden jewelry is glist'ning;
She combs her golden hair.
She combs with a gilded comb, preening,
And sings a song, passing time.
It has a most wondrous, appealing
And pow'rful melodic rhyme.

cheesepleese Mon 17-Feb-14 11:25:36

Ottilie

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now