Talk

Advanced search

siblings with same middle name?

(27 Posts)
MrsRV Wed 12-Feb-14 15:49:10

have an Ella Rose

could we have an Amber Rose? Hubby says not...

TheGirlOnTheLanding Wed 12-Feb-14 16:04:59

Why would you? She's her own person, give her her own name.

CardiffUniversityNetballTeam Wed 12-Feb-14 16:07:00

I know someone who did this with her daughters, three of them, all with the same middle name.
Oddly enough, I don't really have an opinion on whether it is a good or bad thing. And normally I'm so judgemental!! grin

Only1scoop Wed 12-Feb-14 16:07:58

Yeah does seem a bit odd

bakingtins Wed 12-Feb-14 16:08:33

I'm with hubby on this one.

Why are you particularly fond of Rose? Is it a family name? Could you look at the family tree for another? Or is it just a name you like, in which case pick another that sounds nice.

Floggingmolly Wed 12-Feb-14 16:09:59

Why would you do this? They presumably have the same surname, isn't that enough? confused

Nittyb Wed 12-Feb-14 16:12:17

I have the same middle name as my sister, I like it, even if you marry & change your name you have that family link.

WowserBowser Wed 12-Feb-14 16:12:25

It looks lacking in imagination

ELR Wed 12-Feb-14 16:15:30

If you like it then why not, it's your choice. It wouldn't occur to me to think it strange I would just assume there was a reason.

smearedinfood Wed 12-Feb-14 16:16:43

I will do this. But DS's middle name is my surname so he doesn't have a double barrelled surname.

MostWicked Wed 12-Feb-14 16:32:55

I think it is pretty awful.
Your surname links you to your family.
For me, it lacks imagination and individuality.

MyNameIsSuz Wed 12-Feb-14 20:36:47

I don't think it matters, it's a middle name! How many people's middle names do you even know? They will grow up to be individuals so it will be their own name - what I mean is, when Amber Rose fills in a form age 22 to open a bank account, the bank aren't going to laugh at her name because it's the same as her sister are they? I have a friend whose middle name is his brother's first name (his mum loved it but dad said no, dad had come around by the time little bro was born!) and if anything it's a talking point, it doesn't bother them at all.

That said, if your husband doesn't like it then there must be something else that will go. What is it you like about Rose? Is it just the way it sounds with Amber, the way it flows? There must be other names that flow just as nicely.

Bowlersarm Wed 12-Feb-14 20:38:02

No.

dobedobedo Wed 12-Feb-14 20:42:04

I'm due to have ds2 in May and he will have the same middle name as ds1. This is so they can share a name as they have different surnames. I don't think it's weird at all.

PotteringAlong Wed 12-Feb-14 20:44:58

I know someone called Louise Charlotte (for example) and her sister is called Charlotte Louise. Now that's lacking in imagination!

SicknSpan Wed 12-Feb-14 21:48:05

My 2 have the same middle name. Family name from dhs side. Pregnant with dc3 now and it will have same too but another middle name as well, or the opposite gender version, as I am fed up of it!

I don't see how it lacks imagination. In our case it was done to honour a family tradition, which is lovely I think.

It's not like you couldn't think of another one after all, and if you particularly love Rose then go for it.

LynetteScavo Wed 12-Feb-14 21:52:16

My friend has DS with the same middle name (curious that she might be SpicknSpan and pg with DC3 grin)

I only rember her DC middle names because it's the same as my DC's name...

I think if you are giving your DD the same surname, they should have different middle names.

Ella Rose Smith
Amber Rose Smith

OK, but not that...imaginative.

DH wouldn't let me use Grace as a middle name, because a far flung relative had used Grace for her DDs middle name. hmm (But then I also wasn't allowed to name DC the same name as any of his cousins, and he has 50.000)

DramaAlpaca Wed 12-Feb-14 21:54:19

I knew someone who gave both her daughters her own middle names plus another middle name. Not their real names, but like this:

Mum: Mary Jane
Daughters: Annabel Jane Victoria & Sophie Louisa Jane

I was at school with a girl who was one of five siblings, who all had the same middle name. It was a family surname that also worked as a unisex first name.

tammytoby Wed 12-Feb-14 21:55:59

It lacks imagination and each of your children deserve their own names. There are so many lovely names to choose from - perhaps to honour a family member?

bouquetofpencils Wed 12-Feb-14 22:22:36

My sister and I have variants of same middle name. I personally don't like it, felt like they couldn't be bothered to think of a new one. If you want a link, why not another flower middle name,or colour as rose is also a colour.

Innogen Wed 12-Feb-14 22:43:54

No. Amber rose is that god awful bald woman who used to shag Kanye West

JBrd Wed 12-Feb-14 22:54:01

Why not? If you like it, do it.
DS has my last name as middle name, and when DC2 arrives, (s)he will get the same. I didn't change my name when I got married and had endless discussions about whose last name our DCs will get, this is the compromise.

BackforGood Wed 12-Feb-14 22:56:58

No. Your husband is right. Its just odd.

aGirlDownUnder1 Thu 13-Feb-14 03:21:42

I wouldn't just because of this.
www.imdb.com/name/nm2527621/

That aside. I think it will be fine giving your DD the same middle name as your other DD. Not everyone is going to no their middle name and If they do I doubt anyone is going to realise or say anything.

sebsmummy1 Thu 13-Feb-14 03:44:18

This is interesting as ive done the same as some of you here and used my surname as my sons middle name as my surname is also used as a forename in the UK. Now of course I've given myself nowhere to go if and when I have another child.

I either give them the same middle name (it's unisex so doable) or maybe add a second middle name (why didn't I do this with my son!?) or let the eldest have my surname and carry that name forward whilst the next one has an entirely different middle name.

I tied myself in knots with it when I was discussing it recently before my mc. Still don't know what I will do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now