Talk

Advanced search

Thoughts on Xander - not Alexander.

(79 Posts)
WishYouWereMine Wed 12-Feb-14 15:00:32

DP and I both love Xander for our imaginary son.

We have a Persephone who is never ever called by her full name, but I like to see a proper name on birth certificate for some reason.

I wouldn't want to use Alexander as really dislike the nn Alex.

Thoughts please ;) Would you think 'yuck'?

TheSurgeonsMate Wed 12-Feb-14 15:02:12

Thoughts are - great name; Buffy's sidekick; SHORT FOR ALEXANDER.

kentishgirl Wed 12-Feb-14 15:02:13

I think Buffy!

I like it though.

Dappydongle Wed 12-Feb-14 15:05:13

Pretentious

TheRaniOfYawn Wed 12-Feb-14 15:08:04

Lovely name. It's very popular where I am. There are 2 Xanders in her class and one in her swimming class. I'd go for Alexander though. Or even Iskander although that doesn't shorten to Xander as easily.

DrankSangriaInThePark Wed 12-Feb-14 15:10:21

Pretentious.

And yes, everyone will assume it's Alexander anyway.

WishYouWereMine Wed 12-Feb-14 15:12:33

dappydongle I have a Persephone already so not bothered about pretentiousness wink

I was never in to Buffy... although DP was. Maybe that's why he likes it? He also likes the thought of 'Professor X' in the future.

Don't think there's too many around here - every baby boy born seems to be called Thomas!

WishYouWereMine Wed 12-Feb-14 15:13:10

So is Alexander and then just use Xander less pretentious?

Rainingmenandrain Wed 12-Feb-14 15:18:20

Alexander is lovely but Xander is really really pretentious and horrible, sorry.

As an aside, one of my colleagues called her kid Xander but spells it Zander. She's a bit thick, I don't think she realised it's meant to be with an 'X'. concerns me that shes a teacher

nethunsreject Wed 12-Feb-14 15:21:18

Xander is pretentious, Alexander is lovely.

UriGeller Wed 12-Feb-14 15:25:27

Its short for Alexander.

Beachballfamily Wed 12-Feb-14 15:26:08

Alexander is a nice, serious name for a birth certificate. Xander is a lovely, cool, relatively unusual nickname. Maybe I'm showing my age, but I have never seen Buffy (although I've heard of it) and wouldn't let some teen fantasy crap put me off a name.

noodlebum Wed 12-Feb-14 15:27:25

Wow what's everyone's problem with the name Xander? Well I think it's fine as a stand-alone name and not pretentious smile

Only1scoop Wed 12-Feb-14 15:27:29

Have relative Alexander always 'xan' or 'xander'
I always think it sounds a little feminine

DawnOfTheDee Wed 12-Feb-14 15:28:26

I think Xander is fine and not pretentious. I have a friend called Xander - always thought it was a cool name. Goes well with Persephone too.

GreenShadow Wed 12-Feb-14 15:35:04

I have an Alexander. I also dislike 'Alex' and he's never called that at home, but I'm afraid once they get to secondary school level, it becomes standard - no one ( and there are 6 in his year) is called Alexander.

I quite like Zander (for some reason I think of it with a Z not an X), and do occasionally call him either that or similar (Zandy), but it is more like a cutesy, pet name.

Much as I prefer it to Alex/Alexander (DH's choice), I wouldn't have put it on his birth certificate as it doesn't give him the flexibility later in life.

Paintyfingers Wed 12-Feb-14 15:56:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

dementedma Wed 12-Feb-14 16:00:58

Xander fairly common here in Central Scotland along with Sandy as diminutives of Alexander.

TheSurgeonsMate Wed 12-Feb-14 16:12:22

That's interesting, demented, it's my grandfather's name and I'm Scottish.

Leeds2 Wed 12-Feb-14 16:14:37

I think Xander is lovely. Only ever met one, and he would be in his forties now.

RighteousSausage Wed 12-Feb-14 16:15:07

bridgetsmum Wed 12-Feb-14 16:17:33

I don't like it as a name on its own,
But I quite like it a a nn for Alexander, esp Alexander Armstrong on pointless who I think I have a little crush onsmilesmile

WishYouWereMine Wed 12-Feb-14 16:20:11

bridgetsmum Think that may be why I love it so much too ;)

Thank you everyone for your thoughts good and bad.

Paintyfingers Wed 12-Feb-14 16:26:58

DisneyAddict88 Wed 12-Feb-14 16:27:47

I like it alone and also as a nn for Alexander smile

and if its on birtb cert as Alexander u can always introduce him as xander so u dont get the 'alex' nn grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now