Talk

Advanced search

'So have you got any names yet?'

(23 Posts)
beela Mon 10-Feb-14 15:28:50

We've got a name (sort of) picked out for a girl, and we're getting there for a boy, but don't really want to tell people before the baby is here. But people keep asking me and I'm not sure how to answer.

My mum asked today and I was a bit vague, and said 'oh, we've got a few.... I quite like Emily, or maybe Lucy' - these are on the list but not at the top - and she pulled a face and told me that she didn't like Lucy at all (hence the reason I don't want to share our real favourites until it's a done deal!).

Any good answers Or do I just keep muttering about not being sure yet and throwing in a couple from the 'b' list?

MarvellousMechanicalMouseOrgan Mon 10-Feb-14 15:31:29

Keep muttering. On no account mention any names unless you are absolutely certain that the person you are talking to shares your taste or if they don't, that you won't feel awkward about it afterwards.

My best mate and I have very different taste in names, but I'd tell her. My sister and I, no way.

Confitdecanard Mon 10-Feb-14 15:32:19

I'm usually honest with people and say something along the lines of; "we don't want to tell people until the baby is born because we don't want people to tell us their opinions on the name". It is much harder for people to criticise once you present them with baby X.

ooerrmissus Mon 10-Feb-14 15:33:44

Tell them all something totally wacky, that'll give them something to mutter about. My mate insisted she was calling her child Zebulon. She did too, but only as a third name. Which is just as well, she's a lovely girl and Zebulon wouldn't have suited her.

BlueChampagne Mon 10-Feb-14 15:43:11

"Yes, but we're not telling anyone." If you add "but we're open to suggestions", that should distract them!

MauriceMinor Mon 10-Feb-14 15:44:20

You say "we've got a few ideas, we're keeping them to ourselves till after we see the baby". It's not hard. It's just one of those things people say when you're pregnant, no big deal.

Frikadellen Mon 10-Feb-14 18:09:58

Did exactly what you did and went with names we liked but had not made it to the top. No one knew our real top when baby then arrived people got told this is baby x worked fine..

Wishfulmakeupping Mon 10-Feb-14 19:12:29

Best way is to keep it to yourself my sister told me in no uncertain terms that she hated a name and how awful it was I'd mentioned about 3 and this was dd's name so I know that she hates the name. If there's a next time I won't be telling anyone anything!

dimdommilpot Mon 10-Feb-14 19:15:28

I just say "yeah we have a few", my mum asked what they were and i said youll find out when shes here. Dont feel obliged to tell people if you dont want to.

Ihatepeas Mon 10-Feb-14 19:17:26

I just said 'not really. We're just going to see what she looks like when she's born'
In reality we had her name from before we got pregnant!

notadoctor Mon 10-Feb-14 19:34:19

This time around we've been directly saying, 'yes but we're waiting until he's born to tell people' as last time, MIL put is off a name which was quits high on the list! I also think it's nicer to just keep it to ourselves, so far everyone we've said that to has seemed to understand.

SicknSpan Mon 10-Feb-14 20:08:17

"There are loads we like but haven't narrowed them down yet"

I.e "shaddup I'm not telling you!"

KiwiBanana Mon 10-Feb-14 20:36:08

I tell them fake names like Zebedee or Vikram. Always does the trick and shuts them up!

beela Tue 11-Feb-14 08:31:38

I don't know why it bothers me so much, I don't remember being fussed last time around!

OhTheDrama Tue 11-Feb-14 20:21:29

I just said we had some we liked but didn't really want to decide until baby was here. Que beaming smile from me signalling end of conversation!

When we announced the arrival of our DD's nobody made any negative comments, it's harder to project your views when it's a done deal grin!

Claryrocks Tue 11-Feb-14 21:20:22

I've just said yes but we're not telling anyone. We feel it takes away the magic if you know now. People will inevitably have an opinion but few people say anything once baby is born.!

ladyquinoa Tue 11-Feb-14 21:23:07

Say you have no idea or its top secret and you've promised DH you won't breath a word

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 11-Feb-14 21:28:14

Love the idea of saying we are open to suggestions, wish I'd thought of that at the time smile

MyNameIsKenAdams Tue 11-Feb-14 21:32:30

I just kept saying Shaniqua or Troy grin

Froblawd Tue 11-Feb-14 21:33:36

I told mother our short list was a secret and I knew it was killing her. So one day I randomly left a baby name book on our coffee table. I had highlighted all the names I knew she'd hate. When I returned to the room it had moved. She denied looking at it but after we had our DS and revealed his name she announced "thank goodness you picked that name, your other ones were awful" me and my DH couldn't stop laughing.

LittleBabySqueakSqueak Tue 11-Feb-14 22:21:34

I told people that DH wanted to name her after Captain Kirk but since we found out she was a girl it was back to the drawing board. Usually raised a smile and distracted them from the question.

Kittykatmacbill Tue 11-Feb-14 22:55:12

Never tell! Just say something silly and improbable in a serious way, I normally went for brandi-lou :-)

chattychattyboomba Sat 22-Feb-14 01:00:37

I just say 'yes but we have to keep something a surprise!' (Everyone knows we're having a girl)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now