Talk

Advanced search

It's thefinal shortlist...what d'you think?

(20 Posts)
williwonti Sun 09-Feb-14 18:33:17

Right, 4 weeks to go and don't know what we're having. Already have a William who's 3 years old. Because of this we've unfortunately ruled out my second favourite boys name (George) for fear it is far too royal, just think it could look a bit daft. We'll probably go for Joseph, because we like it and also, by a process of elimination, nothing else is left, with the exception of Euan/Ewan which I have now ruled out as I don't want him to get asked "how do you spell that" after every time he says his name.

As for girls, the "short" list is below, what do you think? I've not put them in my preference intentionally...

Anna
Hannah
Erica
Eleanor (nn Nell not Ellie, which isn't for us)
Ellen
Evelyn (think I have rules this out as don't want Eve)
Erin - due around St Patrick's day and this means Ireland.

Middle name will be May or Joan after nans but can't decide which.

Bowlersarm Sun 09-Feb-14 18:34:56

Really love Joseph.

Love Anna, Hannah and Nell (Eleanor)

Although do you think Will and Nell would be too similar?

DitsyDonkey Sun 09-Feb-14 18:36:21

Eleanor is the best definitely with the nn Nell which is sooooooo sweet in fact I would simply go with Nell on the birth cert like Helena Bonham Carter....can't get cooler than that smile

HyvaPaiva Sun 09-Feb-14 18:37:36

Joseph and Anna are my favourites. Just lovely.

Funnyfoot Sun 09-Feb-14 18:37:48

Anna -Nice
Hannah - Love it
Erica - Love it
Eleanor - so so
Ellen -No
Erin - Love it

smile

Yama Sun 09-Feb-14 18:39:23

Anna May is beautiful.

Not keen on the excepts except Erin, which I quite like.

SS3J Sun 09-Feb-14 18:40:58

I like Joseph. And my vote is for Erica for a girl. I don't know any so guessing it's not too overused at the moment.

williwonti Sun 09-Feb-14 18:44:25

I really feel like I am having a boy so girls ' names might be irrelevant but I need to decide as I'm not a "let's see what she looks like" type. I'm really torn on the girls' names because we clearly like "E" but I really do not want it to ever end up as "El", "Ellie" so I'm trying to decide whtrher this rules out what is probably the fave (Eleanor) or if I can sway people into using Nell. Thing is, what if I can't.....

sooperdooper Sun 09-Feb-14 18:44:49

Like Hannah best, I wouldn't go for Eleanor if you don't like Ellie because tbh once she's old enough to decide it won't be up to you at all

Clargo55 Sun 09-Feb-14 18:49:17

I love Eleanor. I know a little call who goes by Nora, but I think Nell is really cute.

Bowlersarm Sun 09-Feb-14 18:49:19

If you want to use Nell, but Eleanor as a birth certificate name, you just always, always use Nell and not Eleanor yourselves. Introduce her as Nell and dont even say the word Eleanor until she is well established as Nell. When it comes to forms, school forms etc, where it says full name write it but write next to it 'known as Nell'. I don't think that will be a problem.

Only if she, herself, wants to use Ellie - then you have no say!

Anna is lovely.

BlueStarsAtNight Sun 09-Feb-14 22:16:02

Love Hannah and Erica, Anna and Erin are nice, Ellen is not my taste. I like Eleanor but the potential for Ellie would put me off, as I'd be sure some people would use it specially once she's older. I also don't like Evelyn for its popularity.

PinkGlove Sun 09-Feb-14 22:19:58

Anna - ok
Hannah - ok
Erica - Like
Eleanor - Love and really like 'Nell'
Ellen - Like
Erin - ok

Love Joseph (but bias grin)

Girls names I also like:

Martha
Tabitha
Elsa

Ohmydarlin Sun 09-Feb-14 22:30:11

What about Helena or Penelope nn Nell?

noodlebum Mon 10-Feb-14 10:53:59

I love Anna smile

GlitzAndGiggles Mon 10-Feb-14 10:59:35

Hannah, Evelyn and Joseph

winterhat Mon 10-Feb-14 11:34:25

I like Hannah, Anna, Evelyn and Eleanor. If you're not keen on Ellie or Eve I'd avoid Eleanor and Evelyn, as these may well come up as nicknames from others. So I vote for Hannah, then Anna.

Thebuttonfancier Mon 10-Feb-14 11:58:10

I'm an Eleanor and I love my name so go for it! But I keep seeing people on here saying they like the nn Nell. Personally, I hate the nn Nell and have spent my life avoiding it and the other Eleanors/Elinors I know have had the same battle. Ellie or Elle are much nicer in my opinion even if they are more popular names. Names tend to be popular for a reason!

williwonti Mon 10-Feb-14 12:37:51

Thanks all, I'm going to have a really good think now and decide (although pretty sure it's a boy but never quite know). Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now