Talk

Advanced search

DS names help please

(22 Posts)
PastaandCheese Fri 07-Feb-14 09:31:41

Due in 3 weeks...... DH just says he knows the baby is another girl so has refused to really discuss boy's names. He has now realised he is being an idiot and the debate is now on the table.

I like Thomas but it is very popular.

I like Elliot but DH can't get past the ET association which seems a very outdated view to me.

He likes Sebastian but we would never, ever use it because it is the name of a good friend's baby who died a few years ago so I include it only for inspiration.

Has anyone got any other ideas to help us please? Been through top 100 but nothing is grabbing us apart from above names so think we need to look outside this.

Thant you.

ToffeeJungle Fri 07-Feb-14 10:42:25

Nathan / Nathaniel
Theo / Theodore
Zac / Zachary
Jake / Jacob
Dominic
Louis
Christian
Ellis
Daniel
Xavier
Leo / Leon
Simon / Simeon
Rafferty
Rufus
Hugo / Hugh
Xander / Alexander

BlueStarsAtNight Fri 07-Feb-14 10:48:33

I love Elliot, and I agree it's a bit ridiculous to worry about the ET thing, it was the name of a character in a popular film 20 odd years ago....hardly a horrific association!

What's your surname like, and what are your Dd's names?

ZingSweetApple Fri 07-Feb-14 11:03:26

I grew up when ET was big - I never ever think "ET" when I hear the name Elliot so I think you'll be ok

ZenNudist Fri 07-Feb-14 11:06:57

If you don't mind tom as nn then Thomas is lovely, classic & strong. I wouldn't worry too much about popularity as it's better to go with name you love.

Elliot also good name. Seriously, who will remember ET at all when he's an adult? No kids of his age will recognise it either.

Thomas Elliott
Elliott Thomas

Both work well.

PastaandCheese Fri 07-Feb-14 11:11:59

I couldn't agree more blue and zing. It's a foolish as assuming a baby is a girl when you specifically didn't find out at the scan.

I suspect he just doesn't like Elliot which is fair enough but then he should just say that!

Our DD is Harriet which is a name we adore although we only decided on that 5 days before she was born.

Our surname is French. Two syllables. It isn't a major problem with most names.

Thank you for the ideas toffee I shall present them to DH later.

PastaandCheese Fri 07-Feb-14 11:13:10

And let's not forget zen it was a good film and it was the boy who was called Elliot and not the alien..... Can you tell this is a conversation I have had before?

BlueStarsAtNight Fri 07-Feb-14 11:46:37

Hmmm I might change my vote to Thomas, as I'm not sure about having siblings with names both ending "iet". (I adore Harriet!)

I also really like Ellis and Daniel from the suggestions above, or how about:
Samuel
Isaac
Joseph
Oliver
Matthew

absentmindeddooooodles Fri 07-Feb-14 12:32:16

Alexander
Jude
Dominic
Jacob
Seth
Christopher
Benjamin
Zachary
Sonny
Loki
Myles
Victor

Dont know if that helps. That was some of our list. We also uad sebastian thomas and elliot on ours smile

KiwiBanana Fri 07-Feb-14 12:59:48

Ooh we've got very similar taste in names! If this baby was a girl she would have been a Harriet.

Our DS is called Jacob Elliot which gets a lot of compliments.

Our shortlist for this baby is:
Thomas
Roman
Jonah/Jonas
Joshua/Joseph
Micah

soontobeslendergirl Fri 07-Feb-14 13:23:40

I like Thomas but there are a lot of them. 5 Thomas/Toms in my sons' Scout Troup but I think Harriet and Elliott are too similar though i do like the name on it's own.

given that you like sebastian, what about:

Bartholomew
Michael
Charles
Edgar
James
Anthony
David

squoosh Fri 07-Feb-14 13:45:29

I do like the name Elliott but it always reminds me of this clip.

Is this your husband?

PastaandCheese Fri 07-Feb-14 14:08:17

Ha ha ha Squoosh. That has really made me laugh.

That is exactly the sort of response I get to various suggestions from DH. Looking forward to showing him that later.

I'm going to make him go through all the suggestions at the same time. I shall withhold his chicken tikka masala until he has given a sensible critique of all suggestions.

tammytoby Fri 07-Feb-14 14:29:45

Have you looked outside the top 100? Lots of lovely names there too!

KiwiBanana Fri 07-Feb-14 14:52:05

list of names outside the top 100

There are some nice ones on there actually smile

PastaandCheese Fri 07-Feb-14 23:32:09

We are leaning back to Tom again. I think we are just getting the fear as it is all very close to the point of no return!

sleepingbeautiful Fri 07-Feb-14 23:53:56

Some close friends have a 7yr old Elliot and I've never heard him get any ET type remarks.
Also how about Eli, Elijah or Elias.
Thomas is fine. It's popular so yes may be others in class/clubs, but has always been so like James, William, Alexander, so it won't date your child.

williaminajetfighter Sat 08-Feb-14 00:00:49

Love Eliot. How about:

Sacha
Marlon
Rufus
Raymond
Eli

ZingSweetApple Sat 08-Feb-14 05:38:28

pasta

Thomas is great. my oldest nephew is Thomas (dammit!grin ) otherwise I would have chose it for DS4.
we went for Noah Matthew at the end.

Thomas Elliott is lovely.

job done!grin

ZingSweetApple Sat 08-Feb-14 05:40:22

And just coz I have nothing else to do here are the names of our other children:

Joshua David

Samuel Aaron

Michael Jacob

Isaac Benjamin

Elizabeth Grace

#7 - not sure yet

sorry, that was more for me smile

PastaandCheese Sat 08-Feb-14 06:13:29

They are all lovely names zing.

#7 though? I take my hat off to you. That's amazing. I can't think beyond getting #2 out!

Mumof3xx Sat 08-Feb-14 06:16:04

I love Elliot

And it doesn't remind me of et

Had dd been a bit she would have been oscar or Elliot

Elliot reminds me of Elliot the elephant that is sold by a card shop but I can't thjnk which one

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now