Talk

Advanced search

Did anyone get there way on name what husband hates :(

(27 Posts)
bLooming2 Fri 07-Feb-14 07:55:58

I'm in a love with name husband says no but I can't get it out of my head has anyone got there own way in the end grin

atthestrokeoftwelve Fri 07-Feb-14 08:02:29

No- heaven forbid!

How would you feel if your husband forced a name that you hated?

I takes two adults to make and hopefully raise a baby, it's not a case of "getting your own way"- that's childish and petty.
And it's very unfair to your husband.

We had names that I loved and he didn't, he had some names that he loved and I hated- so we kept looking until we found names that we both liked and were happy with.

If your OH hates the name I think you have to abandon it and look for another rather that forcing your way.

PastaandCheese Fri 07-Feb-14 09:07:16

Nope. Both times we have each had names we each loved but the other didn't so they weren't used.

TobyLerone Fri 07-Feb-14 09:08:06

Nope. You have to choose together.

ElBombero Fri 07-Feb-14 09:10:53

No he got away with a name I didn't like. We couldn't decide so I had my name, he had his and we flipped a coin. I'd say it took me about 4 months but now I adore it because she owns it, grown into it. (She's 3 now)

smithwillsam Fri 07-Feb-14 09:29:45

We have loved name each both times, did not like some name. We have found names like with both us but were not used.

Thingymajigs Fri 07-Feb-14 09:38:11

No! We had a long search for names because we had such differing naming styles but we eventually did settle on a name a week beforehand.
The rules were that we wouldn't ridicule a name suggestion and we would give each name thorough consideration. This was tricky sometimes with some of the unusual suggestions but we managed. It took a lot of compromise but we eventually found one that he loved and I liked. Now baby is here I love the name just as much as DP.

squoosh Fri 07-Feb-14 14:08:28

There has to be a name out there you both like. I wouldn't agree to a name I hated, wouldn't expect anyone to.

tammytoby Fri 07-Feb-14 14:28:16

Of course not!

There are thousands of names - have a look at ALL names used on the ONS list. There must be a name you both like!

smearedinfood Fri 07-Feb-14 16:36:33

My sister in law did, she got the registry office first, everybody just shortened it to the first syllable because it was a mouthful. Now the child is just the first syllable.

atthestrokeoftwelve Fri 07-Feb-14 16:44:11

smeared- what did her husband say?

MrsRV Fri 07-Feb-14 19:26:58

aww... I feel your pain. DH is just a pain in the arse when it comes to names. I know I have to find a name we both like but still... it does piss me off grin maybe he'll come round in the end. But maybe not. what's tge name you like anyway op?

Devora Fri 07-Feb-14 19:30:16

No. We argued for 9 months about the name. In the end each wrote out a longlist of our favourite 20 names. There was one name that appeared on both lists (though not in the top 10 for either). So we went for it, the lowest common denominator name.

Then we adopted and dd2 came with a name I wasn't mad keen on.

So I now have two children and I didn't 'get my way' with either of their names grin. Meh, they're their names, I can live with it, it all seemed much more important before they came than after.

Hermionewastherealhero Fri 07-Feb-14 19:33:54

I did. I t

Hermionewastherealhero Fri 07-Feb-14 19:37:19

Oops sorry- I told husband the name long before we tried for a baby and he said it wasn't a name!
I fell pregnant and he said no to the name, that it would get shortened to a nick name he didn't like.
I did research (teacher so could ask the small number of students with that name) and none had the nickname ever.
I then told husband it had to be somewhere in the names if we had a boy as I loved it so much. He agreed to this.
I hour after birth it was his name with husband's choice as middle name, husband loves the name now- he did after an hour as in all honesty son was born looking like his name and many people commented on that and still do.

bakingtins Fri 07-Feb-14 19:39:12

No. First time we agreed, second time we both had to compromise on a name we both liked but not top of either list. It's not fair to use a name either party actively dislikes.

MolotovCocktail Fri 07-Feb-14 19:46:31

No, and I still regret it a little bit.

MolotovCocktail Fri 07-Feb-14 19:52:08

It's not that I don't like the name that we chose. It took ages for me to feel comfortable with that being her name. It just felt a bit weird introducing her, iyswim. I felt like I was calling her the wrong name. I have a vivid memory of that when she wad 13wo and I reckon it took me a good year or so to get used to it.

There's another little girl we know of a similar age to dd with the name I wanted for her. Although it isn't dd's name anymore, I do get a pang - an odd feeling - when I hear it.

BetterWithCheese Fri 07-Feb-14 19:53:20

Sort of. I loved a name, DH didn't like it so we were considering a similar name. Unfortunately we realised compromise name was bad with our surname and DH suggested the name I loved, he'd got used to it and decided it wasn't as weird as he first thought. My mum had similar, she loved my name but dad hated it when they had my older brother. Three years later he liked it and it's my name. I think in both cases the names weren't hated just considered unusual or weird. I think it will depend if your DH actively dislikes the name.

MrsRV Fri 07-Feb-14 19:56:07

perhaps he just thinks he hates it... perhaps he just needs a bit of encouragement :-)

SofaKing Fri 07-Feb-14 19:57:27

I did finally get my way with a name dh didn't like.

Sadly it was after all three dc's were born so I got my name for the dog. Although it was dh's decision to get a dog.

I think you have to compromise, but perhaps dh will get used to the name if you keep mentioning how much you like it :-)

MolotovCocktail Fri 07-Feb-14 20:01:52

My dh knew how much I loved the name, but was stubborn about it. He now says he actually likes the name angry hmm confused biscuit

SpocksThirdEar Fri 07-Feb-14 21:20:20

Yes. Although DH didn't hate the name he just wasn't keen on it so said no.

In the end he couldn't come up with any other name at all (really, he made zero suggestions!) so I got my way.

DS's name totally suits him, he just couldn't be anything else.

bLooming2 Fri 07-Feb-14 22:31:43

I wouldn't mind if he suggested different names but he won't and it is an unusual name when I first herd it I didn't like it now I love it I'm hoping he will arrive and just not look like the name. I couldn't have my original choice for 1st ds because he hated it and didn't go with surname and now he says he likes after he put me off it I can't win can I grin

sleepingbeautiful Fri 07-Feb-14 23:26:29

No. We had to have a compromise name for DD and I'm still unhappy with it 18 months later. Nice name just nothing like any of my taste in names. I wouldn't have picked a name he outright hated, but I wish I'd tried harder with the ones he disliked for no strong reason. Didn't have the same problem with boys names for DS weirdly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now