Talk

Advanced search

Is 'maddie' usable?

(60 Posts)
curiousgeorgie Thu 06-Feb-14 13:37:04

My friends are having a girl and like Madeleine, nn Maddie, and asked our opinion.

I love it, but they're worried about its usability because of mm. I said I could start a thread about it..

Their surname starts with Mc too confused mcF-

Opinions?

curiousgeorgie Thu 06-Feb-14 13:37:45

Don't know what happened there!

McF----n

Innogen Thu 06-Feb-14 14:25:58

I wouldn't, especially with the McSurname.

Bowlersarm Thu 06-Feb-14 14:27:04

I know a lot of Maddies, so to me, it wouldn't be an issue.

BirthdayMuppet Thu 06-Feb-14 14:28:22

Another no from me, despite the fact that it's a name I love - the sound, the spelling, the way it writes etc, but I simply can't move past MM.

MrsMarcMarquez Thu 06-Feb-14 14:30:05

I wouldn't because of the Mc but if DS was a DD, she would have been Matilda with Maddie for short.

soupmaker Thu 06-Feb-14 14:33:57

Of course they can. To suggest that they shouldn't is very silly. I wouldn't automatically think of Madeline McCann if I met a Maddie McF........

NinjaPenguin Thu 06-Feb-14 14:54:41

I would use Maddie/Madeleine happily. But not with a Mc surname.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Thu 06-Feb-14 14:54:46

I think they might have to steel themselves for some comments but personally I would go for it if I liked the name.

Paintyfingers Thu 06-Feb-14 14:56:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GooseyLoosey Thu 06-Feb-14 15:02:23

I would. Really like the name. It doesn't have any negative connotations for me either, perhaps slightly sad ones but I wouldn't associate them with a different child.

Lots of names have sad or tragic associations for some people. It should not stop other people using them and making their own happy associations.

plutarch14 Thu 06-Feb-14 15:04:36

I know a Madeleine Mc___

Tbh I've never really registered the Madeleine McCann thing, but this woman is an adult so was named long before that tragedy.

Definitely Madeleine is a nice name. Mc surname - up to judgment I suppose. I don't think it's an immediate connection.

GlitzAndGiggles Thu 06-Feb-14 15:04:54

I would. It's a lovely name even with the surname. Agree with Goosey

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Thu 06-Feb-14 15:05:39

I wouldn't - not with the Mc surname. That is just a little bit too close.

tammytoby Thu 06-Feb-14 15:07:48

When I see/hear Maddie I think of someone who is very Mad! Don't find it very feminine.

In addition the sad MM story is still in the news so I think of that too.

peppinagiro Thu 06-Feb-14 15:07:51

I like Madeleine but DH vetoed it for this reason. And our surname isn't even a Mc one. But I've met another baby Madeleine and it didn't make me think of MM. It's a pretty name - they should use it if they like it.

oohdaddypig Thu 06-Feb-14 15:09:56

I know a lovely little maddie. Initially I did think of MM but now I don't and the name has slightly happier connotations.

thatsnotmypineapple Thu 06-Feb-14 15:56:23

We named DD2 Madeleine last year. While I am sure that most people initially think of MM, there has only been one person, so far, who has been rude enough to comment to our faces MIL

AntoinetteCosway Thu 06-Feb-14 16:15:20

I know a (4yo) Madeleine Mc. As far as I know noone's ever been rude about it to her parents. She's a sweetheart.

squoosh Thu 06-Feb-14 16:16:44

I think Madeleine/Maddie is fine but partnering it with a Mc surname would make me hesitate.

Beanymonster Thu 06-Feb-14 16:22:42

As long as the surname sounds very different eg- I'd say no if it was going to be maddie mcfan! But yes if maddie mc.. anyone else struggle to think of names on the spot?! McDermott?

SS3J Thu 06-Feb-14 16:51:12

Some people will probably think of Madeleine McCann when they hear the name, but that is definitely not a reason to not use a name they love (unless they know the family personally or something). Nobody is going to comment on it and the little girl's peers won't be as aware of the tragedy anyway.

Marcipex Thu 06-Feb-14 17:14:40

It's a beautiful name. I would use it and DH says he wouldn't.
so 50/50.

I think it needs reclaiming iyswim. It's always been popular after all.

I think one day, whatever happened to MM will come out, and that is when the name will become high profile again (for a time).

Onesleeptillwembley Thu 06-Feb-14 17:19:54

No, not with a Mc surname.

TheFillyjonk Thu 06-Feb-14 17:29:14

If the surname is McFadden, apart from anything else it'd be a bit rhymey with the 'ad' sound.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now