Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

starting to panic!

(25 Posts)
zoemaguire Wed 05-Feb-14 20:18:14

Expecting DC3, a girl, in under two weeks and DH and I can't agree on a name!! We have a sort of longlist but can't seem to narrow it down, and nothing totally jumps out at us the way we feel it should. Here it is - please help us out, opinions, suggestions, alternatives?!smile

Beatrice
Cora
Martha
Aurelia
Saskia
Eva

Surname is only one syllable.

KatherineSwynford Wed 05-Feb-14 20:33:25

I like all your names (not helpful). Martha is probably my favourite. It would have been Eva a few years ago but I know a couple now and that makes it less special to me.

We had this problem and went back to the beginning. I went through the entire baby names book and wrote all that I liked down, then DH went through it and we came up with a completely different name to our shortlist that we now love! I don't know how we missed it before smile

woodrunner Wed 05-Feb-14 20:35:31

Of those, I love Beatrice the most. Beautiful, elegant name that can be shortened if lots of different ways.

aGirlDownUnder1 Wed 05-Feb-14 21:54:23

I like Saskia most smile

Ilovecake80 Thu 06-Feb-14 09:53:52

Lots of pretty names there I like Eva and Saskia the best. Maybe when she is born you will decide what suits her. I wasn't sure until my DS was born on his name then it was just like yes that's his name. smile

zoemaguire Thu 06-Feb-14 10:00:51

Thank you! With our other two kids, their names absolutely flew off the page at us, and it hasn't happened this time. Doesn't help that DH changes his mind every two minutes about whether or not he even likes a name in the first place hmm.

littone Thu 06-Feb-14 10:21:17

Zoemaguire, I feel your pain, in exactly the same position with an equally unhelpful DP. At least you have a shortlist. Bizarrely he came up with a boys name very early on ( one he declared he hated when I suggested it for DS) but we are expecting a girl. I like Beatrice (it's one I am considering too)

squoosh Thu 06-Feb-14 10:40:22

I think Saskia is gorgeous. A proper grown up sort of name.

zoemaguire Thu 06-Feb-14 10:43:21

littone, DH declared Cora an awful, awful name, then 3 weeks later when he was going through the baby book, guess what appeared on his list?!smile

Orlea Thu 06-Feb-14 11:26:28

They are all pretty. The only one I don't like so much is Cora, but it would probably be quite uncommon. I know quite a few Eva/Eve/Avas of all ages so probably wouldn't go for that unless as a middle name...

NauseousKitty Thu 06-Feb-14 12:07:35

Just to buck the trend Cora and Aurelia are both on my list for DC2. Just beautiful! Good luck and remember to come back and let us know what you decide!

squoosh Thu 06-Feb-14 12:18:12

Cora is a common name in Ireland amongst the 60/70 somethings. It's the only place I've ever heard it used. It is nice though.

ToffeeJungle Thu 06-Feb-14 12:23:23

In order of prefernce:
Martha
Cora
Beatrice
Eva
Saskia
Aurelia

Other suggestions:
Cara
Carla
Matilda
Beatrix
Ava
Evelyn
Suki
Athena
Ophelia
Cordelia
Clara
Octavia

Oriunda Thu 06-Feb-14 12:51:11

Aurelia. Lovely. DS would have ended up this if he'd been a girl.

MrsT2007 Thu 06-Feb-14 13:15:38

Saskia was on our list too. We ended up with a Lois, but also liked Dulcie, Phoebe, Alice.

smother Thu 06-Feb-14 16:22:44

Don't panic - all those names are beautiful!

I would go for either Martha, Cora, Beatrice or Saskia <not helpful>

What about Clara, Bethany, Helena, Alice...?

curiousgeorgie Thu 06-Feb-14 16:24:59

I love Saskia. It was on our short list...

There'll never be an uncool Saskia wink

TheLeftovermonster Fri 07-Feb-14 21:30:16

I like Beatrice or Saskia, especially with a short surname.

mylittlesunshine Fri 07-Feb-14 22:12:30

Love Martha and Eva. Such beautiful names

DitsyDonkey Fri 07-Feb-14 22:20:55

I like Saskia, Martha and Beatrice!

zoemaguire Fri 07-Feb-14 22:20:59

Thanks for all the input! Not sure if we're yet much further ahead sadly - essentially I think you've all confirmed for me that they are nice names, but like those rows of coloured scarves in shops, they sort of look better in a groupsmile Hello, meet little baby Martha-Aurelia-Eva-Beatrice-Saskia-Cora...hmm, maybe not!

I think personally I am leaning towards Martha, but am just a bit uneasy about the downtrodden handmaiden association!

JanePurdy Fri 07-Feb-14 22:51:48

I think the down trodden handmaiden association is pretty obscure to the majority of folk these days.

RichInBunlyGoodness Fri 07-Feb-14 22:54:54

I have a Martha and on occasion I wish she were a little more downtrodden and a little less sassy grin

soontobeslendergirl Fri 07-Feb-14 23:21:42

Martha is my favourite

Aurelia always makes me think of nipples! And Saskia is like something you say when you sneeze.

Other suggestions:

Meryll
Mabel
Marielle
Vivienne
Eve
Esther
Hariett
Gabrielle/Gabriella
Amarys
Carys
Audra

soontobeslendergirl Fri 07-Feb-14 23:22:29

sorry spelling not on course tonight, meant Harriet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now