Talk

Advanced search

Boys name: Hughan?

(20 Posts)
Jolay100 Tue 04-Feb-14 13:35:56

Right we are really struggling for a boys name. I think Huey is lovely, but DH thinks its too cute and that as he grows up he may want something more formal. A work colleague told my her grandfather was called Hughan, which we both quite like. I do worry that he might spend a lot of time saying "no ,not Euan, Hughan, with an H". I've never come across it elsewhere other than as a surname. What do you think??

Ihatepeas Tue 04-Feb-14 14:00:46

Never heard that one before.. Sounds a bit made up to me, sorry.
How about Hugo?

curlew Tue 04-Feb-14 14:07:29

He will. Honestly, don't do it.

Hugo or Hugh, with Huey as a pet name. Sorted.

squoosh Tue 04-Feb-14 14:17:40

I've never heard of Hughan. Is it a surname?

People will think Hugh? Ewan?

kreecherlivespstairs Tue 04-Feb-14 14:22:41

Strange sounding hybrid IMO. Hugh or Hugo much better.

Onesleeptillwembley Tue 04-Feb-14 14:25:27

Sounds silly and made up. I know a grown up Hughey (actually Hugh) that is lovely but definitely not twee.

BlueStarsAtNight Tue 04-Feb-14 14:26:32

I agree, it sounds like a hybrid style made up name and will cause lots of confusion. Hugh is much nicer!

sonlypuppyfat Tue 04-Feb-14 14:26:58

I suppose it depends on where you live, Hugh would get you eaten alive around here.

BlueStarsAtNight Tue 04-Feb-14 14:27:37

Have to add, we used to use 'Hewey' as slang for being sick, so I can't warm to it as a nn.

TheWomanTheyCallJayne Tue 04-Feb-14 14:30:19

It's a surname

And they would get hughan cry

MorrisZapp Tue 04-Feb-14 14:33:41

Call him Hugh or Euan.

But not Hughan.

tammytoby Tue 04-Feb-14 14:40:01

"Hugh would get you eaten alive around here."

Where do you live shock?

I think Hugh or Ewan are both great names.

TweenageAngst Tue 04-Feb-14 14:52:03

I know a Huon pronounced hugh-on. It is a Hebrew name

Chippingnortonset123 Tue 04-Feb-14 14:54:58

What's wrong with Hugh?
Are there too many of them?
The only Hugo I know is known as Uggy.

Purplehonesty Tue 04-Feb-14 14:57:41

Well I like it. It's a good highland name wink
In fact I might even say I love it!
Nobody liked the names we gave our dc to start with despite them being very traditional old fashioned names.
Now they ALL say what lovely names! Fickle creatures smile

trainersandaches Tue 04-Feb-14 15:03:01

My DB is called Hugh - spent half his life explaining how to pronounce it and that it isn't Ewan.

I think it would mince people's heads that it was a Hugh/Ewan hybrid (do like it tho! In a similar way I've also always liked the name Carolan after the Irish musician Turlough O'Carolan but thought my baby would get called Caroline all the time!)

SS3J Tue 04-Feb-14 16:53:09

I knew one once but it was spelt Huan, which I prefer personally. I like it, but agree he may have to correct it from Euan a lot. However, if you are using Huey as a nn from the start there will probably be less of an issue.

Jolay100 Tue 04-Feb-14 17:47:44

hmmmm i suspected as much, can't say i'm totally put off though.... I guess we'll see what he looks like when the time comes.

florascotia Tue 04-Feb-14 19:48:55

I may be wrong, but I've always understood 'Hughan' to be the equivalent of 'Hughie' - a respectful but affectionate version of 'Hugh'. Used by adult men as well as young boys. The only Hughans/Hughies I've ever met have had 'Hugh' as their 'official' name. But I've met less than ten of them over several years, so that's not a big sample.
Absolutely no criticism intended.

Some websites say that Hughan is also a surname. But I've never met anyone with it. Nothing wrong with surnames as first names, either.

BirthdayMuppet Thu 06-Feb-14 14:26:55

As in I've got a "huge 'un" Are you mad? grin It's a definite no from me - potential for teasing is just too big. It shouldn't be, we all know that, but it is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now