Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Unusual boy's names along the lines of Seth, Isaac, ordinary noun names

(26 Posts)
Hooya Sat 22-Jun-13 15:22:13

Hello all, first post in baby names!

We want a fairly unusual boy's name and like but don't love or can't agree on the following, looking for more suggestions. Seth is the current favourite but I'm worried it's not a great baby name, more grown up, if you see what I mean!

Seth, Elias, Elijah, Logan, Brody, Lachlan, Isaac, Conrad.

We don't mind quite far out names and would really like something unusual but nothing so far has made us go "yes!". We love ordinary nouns as names but haven't found any boy ones we like.

Also I am not great at pronouncing my 'r's so have to avoid an r between vowels, or altogether if possible.

Any suggestions welcome!

Nospringflower Sat 22-Jun-13 15:28:27

Saul?

GibberTheMonkey Sat 22-Jun-13 15:37:24

My favourite (which I wasn't allowed)
Gideon

curlew Sat 22-Jun-13 15:40:26

If you like Seth, go for it. He'll be a grown up a lot longer than he'll be a baby! And you'll probably call him something completely different while he's a baby anyway- mine were Patch and The Doodster for ages...........blush

Crikeyblimey Sat 22-Jun-13 15:41:57

My gt nephew is called Silas. Lovely name smile

My other gt nephew is called Isaac smile

YoureAllABunchOfBastards Sat 22-Jun-13 16:24:21

I know two little Seth's and it never struck me as odd. DS2 has an old man's name and it always suited him.

Littlecherublegs Sat 22-Jun-13 18:22:51

Linus
Amos
Isaiah
Jonah
Ashton
Maxwell
Quentin
Jasper
Casper
Jared
Gabriel
Caleb
Spencer
Dexter
Milo

dreamingofsun Sun 23-Jun-13 10:01:25

gil (short for gilbert). though you might go through all this grief of finding something unusual and a close 'friend' will copy you

Hooya Sun 23-Jun-13 10:16:50

Ooh thanks all, this is helpful!

Love Milo though a friend has just had a baby with similar name, not sure if that's an issue!

Also like Dexter and Silas and a few others!

Seth still a definitely maybe though...

Saul is one of my favourites but DP thinks it's really a Jewish name and we're not... aaaargh this is hard! Keep 'em coming!

bugsybill Sun 23-Jun-13 12:22:06

If you like noun names what about nature type names?

North
Jasper
Jett
River
Hunter
Heath
Wolf
Fox
Hawk
Canyon
Red

If you like Saul do like like soren?

Seth is a lovely name.

HoneyandRum Sun 23-Jun-13 13:52:29

I know a Thorin (named after Thorin Oakeshield from "The Hobbit").

Also knew a little boy called Red who must be in his 20s by now.

mixedmamameansbusiness Sun 23-Jun-13 13:53:46

I like Seth and Isaac, we know a little Seth and he absolutely suits it and it doesn't seem old.

notso Sun 23-Jun-13 13:59:29

Seth is a wonderful name.

I also love Jonah, Linus, Isaac, Rufus, Cassius, Jude.

peachypips Sun 23-Jun-13 14:01:12

Silas

Clawdy Sun 23-Jun-13 15:02:06

I like Isaac but if you're wanting an unusual name, one of this week's newspapers listed it as one of the five most popular boys' names.

othersideofchannel Mon 24-Jun-13 13:28:55

I'm not that keen on the sound of Seth at all, I'm afraid. But of the suggestions I really like Elias, Conrad, Quentin and Linus. All good classic names that aren't overused.

Yes, Isaac is becoming quite widely used.

absentmindeddooooodles Mon 24-Jun-13 13:40:10

My ds's dad is called Seth. Lovely name :-) how about Jude?

NappiesandGladrags Mon 24-Jun-13 13:41:56

Seth, adore Seth, there is one in my daughters school he's 5 and gorgeous, really suits him! As someone else has said he'kk probably have an nn when a baby (my daughter was my chicken pie and my son Mr Moo) crazy eh?

Saul ?? Love this name too

Gabriel (biased!! :D)

Jonah
Jesse
Soren
Heath

BlueChampagne Mon 24-Jun-13 13:55:45

Love Conrad and Lachlan. How about Arlo?

Hooya Tue 25-Jun-13 12:43:13

A lot of votes for Seth, interesting!

Does Saul sound really Hebrew / Jewish to people? I just wondered if it was a bit random, like calling the baby Alfonso or something when he's not Spanish, iyswim...

I like Soren and Arlo, but the 'r' in Soren is not great for me. Is Arlo getting popular now? We don't currently live in the UK so I have no good barometer other than friends and the good people of MN!

Thanks so much for the suggestions so far, I am feeling like there are some lovely options smile

MortifiedAdams Tue 25-Jun-13 12:47:14

I really like Seth. Also throwing Travis in as a suggestion.

sleepingbeautiful Tue 25-Jun-13 13:48:33

In under 3s I know 2 Seth, 1 Isaac, 2 Dextor, 1 Amos, 1 Isiah, 3 Rufus! I don't know that many kids so I guess these are not that rare but probably not top 10 (though I've also heard Isaac is actually very popular along with Noah at the moment).

bugsybill Tue 25-Jun-13 14:25:59

I personally wouldn't assume Saul to be Jewish. I went to school with one, so he would be in his 30s now and he was catholic.

I have come across it on tv/movies for older (possibly Jewish?) men. Maybe that is where the sterotype is from?

GwendolineMaryLacey Tue 25-Jun-13 14:28:14

Love Saul, detest horrid lispy Seth.

NeonGolden Tue 25-Jun-13 14:34:32

Ezra.

Love most of these names!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now